Flying to Joburg with bike / Need to deflate shocks & tyres?

ibruegge

Well, the LBS advises I need to deflate air shock completely as "it will pop the gaskets in the shock" - is this true? I believe the tyres need to be deflated too - isn't the freight compartment on a commercial plane as much pressurized as the cabin? Your advice please, specially on the air shocks. Thanks

Edited by ibruegge

We pack bikes for clients all the time, we never deflate shock or tire unless its more than 3bar(mtb) on tire, i will deflate only a little otherwise stans wil run out if its to flat. if your rear shox is not more than 200psi i will leave it intact. Cabin pressure is btw 2000m and 3000m above see level at 30 000ft(10km)....

We pack bikes for clients all the time, we never deflate shock or tire unless its more than 3bar(mtb) on tire, i will deflate only a little otherwise stans wil run out if its to flat. if your rear shox is not more than 200psi i will leave it intact. Cabin pressure is btw 2000m and 3000m above see level at 30 000ft(10km)....

Thanks for the advice - it makes perfect sense. Strange how LBS's don't seem to be that well informed when it comes to this kind of (standard?) question. Will leave as is and am sure it will be fine!

This is one of the most persistent cycling myths of all times and I wish airlines would get it right. Cabin and cargo hold pressure by extension, since it is the same system), does not drop or fluctuate enough to make tyres or shocks explode. I don't see them deflating the airplane's tyres before take-off either - and those site outside the pressure chamber.

However, check-in clerks will insist that you deflate your tyres and as someone pointed out, it causes a mess. I BDS them by telling them the tyres are gel-filled and have no air in them. Even so, those clever laptop snatchers behind the counters still let the air out.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyres and shocks were no problem, didn't deflate. Kulula managed to trash the box though and the frame is now partially unpainted, all the way down to the carbon fibres - very sad :-(.