32GI

ridr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To my pleasant surprize i saw the 32GI chews today at my local bikeshop. Thought i would buy a packet of the orange flavour and try it on my afternoon ride. Being curious i opened the packet and tried one. The stuff is addictive! I finished it there and then. Got a sample pack of the drink which i will try on my 4hr ride sat without breakfast.

Hi All

I responded to a previous post on our drink being an artificial sweetener, which I refuted, as I know that our product has been researched and in conjunction with our suppliers and developed over the past few years. I mentioned I would await a response from our doctors in Germany and once I received a reply, I would post it: I have just received this from Dr Jungclaus, who is the Nutrition Communications Manager there.

This is directly pasted from her email to me:

Dear Poster

I am sorry to see your concern on the isomaltulose in the sports drink. If you know better what isomaltulose is all about, you will see that if you do sports and you care about your energy and performance, this carbohydrate brings a lot of benefits.

What is isomaltulose?

Isomaltulose is not an artificial sweetener at all. It is a carbohydrate like e.g. sucrose, fructose or maltodextrin. You can find it in honey or sugar cane juice, and it is made from sugar (sucrose). It is not artificial.

Like sucrose, isomaltulose consists of a glucose and a fructose. Only the linkage is different (isomaltulose has an alpha-1,6 linkage also known from starch, sucrose an alpha 1,2 linkage), which gives isomaltulose physiological benefits, e.g. it is kind to teeth, it is fully digestible providing the full 4 calories of carbs, but it has a lower effect on blood sugar levels and so provides this energy in a more balanced way over longer time.

Isomaltulose and intolerances to fructose or starch

There are very few individuals who are intolerant to fructose by an inherited enzyme defect which does not allow them to metabolize fructose in the liver , and those people need to avoid sources of fructose in their diet. Individuals who lack the enzyme isomaltase are intolerant to starch and all those products containing starch (e.g. bread, rice, potatoes). The number of people affected by either of this is very small, and such a fructose or starch intolerance is known from early childhood. People affected by this are largely compromised in their diet and typically seek regular advice from their medical doctors.

If you can enjoy sugar and sweets as well as starchy foods as much as essentially everbody can, you can enjoy isomaltulose, too.

Benefits of isomaltulose in sports drinks

Isomaltulose has unique benefits in sports drinks: Because of its its different linkage, isomaltulose is released into the body in a more steady way. This means that it provides carbohydrate energy in a more balanced way compared to other carbs like sucrose or maltodextrin. The advantages of this in endurance sports have been shown: Isomaltulose provides sufficient energy during the exercise and at the same time allows a higher contribution of fat burning than with other carbohydrates. Knowing the importance of high fat burning levels for the sparing of carbohydrate stores (i.e. glycogen) in endurance sports (one effect you want to improve by training as well), the potential benefit of isomaltulose to enhance endurance performance becomes evident... Many people who have tried it are convinced and we have had lots of positive feedback.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr Antje Jungclaus

Manager Nutrition Communication

Dischem Rustenburg please?

does anybody know if and what in the range they stock at somerset mall dischem please?

helloise - last time I was there, nothing. Got mine at Canal Walk... due to a virus, was not able to test it this weekend. :angry:

****s...have the swartland mtb this saturday and wont have time to get to canal walk, but thank you for the info...will ma have to be satisfied with GU then :)

you can buy 32Gi on www.mydailysupplement.co.za so it gets delivered to your door!! I also want to change to that currently using FiT energy drink :)

So my training parner and I decided to see what the hype around 32GI is all about. We shared our first tub, (Rasberry flavour) and went on our weekly long ride yesterday.

We managed to shave almost 15 minutes off our previous best time on that perticular route and were able to really hammer it up the last climb. Felt a bit tired after the ride, but today it's likeI can do it all over again. So it seems to work and yeah, a new 32GI user was created! Other than that, I liked the taste of the Rasberry and the fact that it dissolved easy when being mixed.

Have been running on 32GI for a while now...as I am off the bike for a bit! Anyway last weekend I didn't have any and towards the end of a 2h30 run I started to feel shattered and needing some food. I have taken the drink I had taken prior to 32GI and eaten something before, as I always do. So it may have been that I was having a bad day, or that I had pushed myself a bit too much...but during the run I had not been thinking that I was missing something, only when I had finished did I start to think about what was different from the previous weeks. The 32GI was the only change.

Hi! I have tried this product, used it at carousel and I must say gave me sustained energy for 2 hours, but 1/2 an hour later I could hardly keep my bike up. So if you are going to use it on a longer ride, drink some before hand and make sure that you don't run out coz you really will hit the wall!

nee ma right dan...thanks, sal so maak! :D

jy kan dit by Bodyandbike in Bloemhof straat in Bellville ook koop teen R40 goedkoper as die voorgestelde retail prys. Ek het myne daar gekry en hulle het al die geure en BAIE voorraad!!

Hi! I have tried this product, used it at carousel and I must say gave me sustained energy for 2 hours, but 1/2 an hour later I could hardly keep my bike up. So if you are going to use it on a longer ride, drink some before hand and make sure that you don't run out coz you really will hit the wall!

Hi Irvin just remember with any energy drink you need to understand your feeding times and peaks and troughs, basically whether its a feed every 20 minutes or every 2 hours, if you miss one, you are basically screwed.

Know your products when you use them and ensure you know when you need to overlap the feed to maintain consistency, with 32Gi u need to ensure the feed is completed within 2 hours but that you are carrying on with it. I have done 7 hour rides on 32Gi only without food or chews and no issues at all, and not easy rides either, 3 loops of Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve the hilly route was a good test.

all the best

M

thanks MDW! I will remember that next time! Must say that the first 2 hours was amazing just needed to maintain the intake of this product.

Hey Helloisie, no matter how much other people rave about any product - don't race on it before seeing how you react to it. I have a sensitive stomach and cannot tolerate everything, so I test everything beforehand on training rides.

Make sure it works for you and don't affect you negatively before going to a funride armed with a new product.