Blood donation

I would just like to know, how does donating blood affect other riders, I donated on Wednesday night and went to Kyalami yesterday for the first time this year and I was useless (I did a 30K mtb ride over the weekend and I was OK), can it be the blood donation that affected me or is it just being away from the road bike for 5 months.

I would just like to know, how does donating blood affect other riders, I donated on Wednesday night and went to Kyalami yesterday for the first time this year and I was useless (I did a 30K mtb ride over the weekend and I was OK), can it be the blood donation that affected me or is it just being away from the road bike for 5 months.

It will affect you - I believe it takes 24 to 48 hours to replenish and recover from it. I always feel a bit pap for a couple of days after - so it probally was a combination of both affecting you.

I am not a medic but read a up a while back.

Your volume is replenished in 24-48 hours of the donation. However the red blod cells take much longer. If you were up to where you were in such a short time why would they only allow you to donate blood 56 days later. because some of the cells take that long to replenish.

yep , you feel it bad,

i cannot believe that 500mls is so NB.

weird thing is that it is not consistent for me, sometimes i feel way worse and others not so bad,

but i deff feel it each time.

just out of interests sake, what was your iron level, mine is normally between 16 and 17

reason it takes a while for you to recover, is red blood cells are removed, and a while bunch more is pumped back into your blood system from bone marrow afterwards, these cells still need to mature before they are 100% functional at carrying oxygen. thats why your performance will be down a few days after donation

curtsy of wikipedia

"In the process of red blood cell maturation, a cell undergoes a series of differentiations. The following stages 1–7 of development all occur within the bone marrow:

1.hemocytoblast a pluripotent hematopoietic stem cell

2.Common myeloid progenitor multipotent stem cell

3.unipotent stem cell

4.pronormoblast also commonly called proerythroblast or rubriblast.

5.basophilic normoblast/early normoblast also commonly called erythroblast

6.polychromatophilic normoblast/intermediate normoblast

7.orthochromatic normoblast/late normoblast - Nucleus is Expelled before becoming a reticulocyte

8.reticulocyte

The cell is released from the bone marrow after stage 7, and so of circulating red blood cells there are ~1% reticulocytes. After 1–2 days these ultimately become "erythrocytes" or mature red blood cells."

Most obviouse reason would be:

Less red blood cells means less haemotonin, thus less oxygen capacity in the blood, so your muscles don't get full supply of oxygen...

The avg guy has 7 litres, majority of it is your torso