Thats life I guess

Honkdonk

So back in May I got bike jacked. Bastards took my and a mates bike. I am sure many of you have followed all the related threads about it..

Anyway, I got the insurance payout, but it was no where near replacement value as it was a 8 grand bike back in 2005 when I bought it and I had done up everything on the bike except the brakes. Lesson #1 - make sure the insurance policy follows the upgrades. So I got the bucks and stashed it in an account and tried to figure out a master plan. Then I swapped medical aids and recieved a healthy payout from the policy I cancelled. I began to rub my hands with glee and started pricing some potential purchases and narrowed the choices down.

However, being married, and doing my best to uphold the vows we took together I began to see that there are priorities in ones life and its not all me me me. Cycling, or any hobby/sport can be very selfish obsession. If you are 1. single and 2. loaded then this does not really apply. I am neither, so extra funds need to be wisely spent and in conjunction with the other half.

So very quickly the extra funds have been out to good use by way of kick ass queen size bed that we were in dire need of and I am about to spend my weekend sloshing new paint all over the kitchen and dining room. House upgrades are also good! I am a simple bloke who could easliy sleep on a matress on the floor. Who needs a new bed? The current paint job is just fine... But this is not about me..

So the wait continues and slowly I will chip away and add to the stash that will one day turn into a new trail eating beast. One thing I do know - I am prepared to wait long enough so that I dont buy a bike that I add to gradually. Buy it once, complete, and be happy. Be happy with the wheelset, be happy with the groupset, be happy with the suspension. I know myself all to well and expensive tastes are me! So i am prepared to wait. Its nice looking around though.

In the meantime I run. Did 15km in an 1 hour 20 last Sunday. Stoked with that!

So it goes

Edited by DaveT

Someone once said "There is no room for the voice of reason on The Hub" That was around 2005.

So it goes

That's what, roughly 12/13 kmph,....very good indeed. At that pace you gonna need that bed.! :D

So back in May I got bike jacked. Bastards took my and a mates bike. I am sure many of you have followed all the related threads about it..

Anyway, I got the insurance payout, but it was no where near replacement value as it was a 8 grand bike back in 2005 when I bought it and had done up everything on the bike except the brakes. Lesson #1 - make sure the insurance policy follows the upgrades. So I got the bucks and stashed it in an account and tried to figure out a master plan. Then I swapped medical aids and recieved a healthy payout from the policy I cancelled. I began to rub my hands with glee and started pricing some potential purchases and narrowed the choices down.

However, being married, and doing my best to uphold the vows we took together I began to see that there are priorities in ones life and its not all me me me. Cycling, or any hobby/sport can be very selfish obsession. If you are 1. single and 2. loaded then this does not treally apply. I am neither, so extra funds need to be wisely spent and in conjunction with the other half.

So very quickly the extra funds have been out to good use by way of kick ass Queen size bed that we were in dire need of and I am about to spend my weekend sloshing new paint all over the kitchen and dining room. House upgrades are also good! I am a simple bloke who could easliy sleep on a matress on the floor. who needs a new bed and the current paint job is just fine. But this is not about me..

So the wait continues and slowly I will chip away and add to the stash that will one day turn into a new trail eating beast. One thing I do know - I am prepared to wait long enough so that I dont buy bike that I add to gradually. Buy it once, complete, an be happy. Be happy with the wheelset, be happy with the groupset, be happy with the suspension. I know myself all to well and expensive tastes are me. So i am prepared to wait. Its nice looking around though.

So it goes

First class attitude there chap. The wheel turns .... :thumbup:

enter hill 2hill and hopefully you can win that specialiozed camber worth 22 grand bru!AND then you can spend the 8 grand you saved on upgrades to the bike.hey,i'm an optimist.... :thumbup:

All hail Dave - the only reasonable man on thehub. He he he.

Best'o'luck - hope you get back on your wheels soon!Once you're on them try some offroad duathlons - there's loads to choose from at the moment...

Best of luck Dave.

So when there's money to be spend next round, you can be sure it'll be on the bike. Hope you get cycling soon.

My Dad is putting in at least R8k towards a dual-sus frame upgrade for me and you know what I said ? "No, rather satash it for my wedding soon"...........aaaaarrrrgggggghhhhhh. You are right - it's such a selfish obsession. Anyway, I'd gladly swap the dual-sus for the wedding............what the hell am I SAYING ??? lol

Where abouts are you in Jhb Dave?

I'm fortunate enough to be riding different bikes on occasion, so my personal bike is more often than not gathering dust.

You're welcome to loan it for rides until you're sorted.

Its like a hiatus I guess. I have all I need around me to get on with things and take some stock in my life. There is change on the horizon that I need to go through, and believe it or not, not riding is part of it. It all hapens for a reason as they say, and I am a firm believer in that. I drive my other half nuts by often not getting involved in making things happen, but rather sitting around waiting. There is something to be learnt in that, from both perspectives.

See the thing is, I used to ride on my own. That was my Sunday thing. 3 hours solo. Its good headspace, clears the mind and allows one to get into things that you are otherwise not able to. So while it may seem odd that I am not riding now, I get it in another form. Its temporary. The solo thing, I now realize is dangerous. It annoys me that I cant enjoy the time alone, but like I said earlier it is no longer about me. There are two other people involved in every decision I make. So when I get my new trail eating machine I will need to adjust to riding with a group and adapt. Its a more rigid routine and not as flexible as " let me try this path, or maybe I'll go up there, through that section and then down to that and up over there and wind my way home via this' Bit of a shame, but such it is.

Us humans are incredible beings. We are able to cope and put up with a lot more than people realise. If we put our minds to something anything is possible.

Thanks for the kind words and offers.

I'll see you on the flip side

Edited by DaveT