A diferrent kind of 'snake bite'

jusbob

Hey guyz!

As we all know, South Africa is a great country, will all kinds of creatures! The ones I fear most are snakes!!! Whilst digging trails I am constantly aware of them, but luckily I am yet to come across one! This leads me to this post:

Please share some of your encounters and stories with these venomous buggers on the trails??

Also, my girlfriend and I were debating how jacked up South African hospitals are to deal with snake bites, ie. Anti Venom, could anoyone in the know shed some light on this??

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had 2 close encounters of the snaky kind while cycling.

On the Wild coast, at dusk one evening, decided to ride over a stick in the path. Next moment the stick lifts up and try to bite me. Luckily I was going fast and it missed. Turned back to look and found a night adder leaving the scene.

Second time on the jeep tack going up Tokai. Slowly huffing and puffing, not really concentrating, then noticed a big fat Pufadder literally half a metre away from my front wheel. Nothing I could do except pump some adrenalin and luckily he lazily turned aside and slithered away.

Oh, and I forgot about THE NOTORIOUS DEAD SNAKE THREAD on the HUB, that was a much more pleasant experience.

Had 2 close encounters of the snaky kind while cycling.

On the Wild coast, at dusk one evening, decided to ride over a stick in the path. Next moment the stick lifts up and try to bite me. Luckily I was going fast and it missed. Turned back to look and found a night adder leaving the scene.

Second time on the jeep tack going up Tokai. Slowly huffing and puffing, not really concentrating, then noticed a big fat Pufadder literally half a metre away from my front wheel. Nothing I could do except pump some adrenalin and luckily he lazily turned aside and slithered away.

We also sometimes see these puffadders in the Baviaans. - this pic was taken in Sept last year.

post-14134-0-98662800-1313822242.jpg

Edited by Bennie Dikwiel

Nearly rode into oncoming traffic when I saw this too late....... Was able to take the pic after I made sure my bibshort was OK :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Turned out someone had already killed it :blush: :blush:

post-12957-0-40568200-1313822695.jpg

I think those Puffies are the most beautiful snakes, I definitely would have taken the dead one home for its skin. Think wallet or saddle bag.

I was trail running on the hillcrest cycling trail (durbanville) last summer and had a very close encounter with a cape cobra in the long grass. I heard him hiss before I saw him and it is amazing how high they can lift themselves up when they spread their hood. Fortunately he moved at speed away from me and while I quite like snakes, that got my adrenalin going.

I nearly rode over a sunbathing puffy on the road to Die Vlug - Close to the Karoo to Coast route, I was all alone without cell reception and was riding on auto pilot - Swerved at the last minute and missed it by only 30cm.

Nearly rode into oncoming traffic when I saw this too late....... Was able to take the pic after I made sure my bibshort was OK :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Turned out someone had already killed it :blush: :blush:

Similar thing with a black mamba on the side of the road along a sugarcane field. Was putting in a solid interval up the hill, and looked up to see the thing in the road, about 2m in front.. Also had to check my shorts. Was already dead, been run over but still terrifying.

:o

on the Cape Pioneer Trek route last year, near the Kamanassie. Taken by Oak Pics.

post-7460-0-90216400-1313831015.jpg

Edited by Firemeister

so far, two cape cobras on signal hill. Other than that, some XC racesnakes and the more dodgy 2 legged variety.

During the mielie harvest in central Mozambique the farmers stack their crop in bags next to the road to be sold and transported. This attracts mice, thousands of the. Vehicles passing on the road squash then and it eventually looks like one massive oil sick with firry bits in them form all their fat. This then attracts the Puffies. On one early morning ride of 35 km out we counted 16 live puffis and 52 dead one killed by locals and traffic. It is quite scary riding there at times.

The locals also catch the mice and barbeque them on long sticks.

post-24908-0-37389800-1313831499.jpg

Edited by eccentric1

We have a deadly snake in our area called a Trouser Snake. Bite symptoms include abdominal swelling lasting 9 months but only in women...

I'm no snake expect but,

Hospitals can only really treat you symptomatically and most doctors don't have a lot of experience when it comes to snakebites. It always helps to identify the snake so you know what venom it has. First aid is crucial in these cases. Most snakebites are actually dry bites as venom takes a long time to produce and needs to be used sparingly by the snake. You're a threat to them, not prey.

Luckily I haven't come as close as you guys! Guess its a small price to pay to ride in this beautiful country, doesnt mean I can't be *** scared though :)

Ran past a mozam spitting cobra in Groenkloof a while back, scared myself sh!tless ! Heard a rustle next to the path, kept running and when I looked back about a meter he was standing there hood flared and all.

Had a close encounter with a puffie riding up Jonkershoek after a light rain. He was sunning himself in the middle of the trail, didn't even see him until i was a meter away. Fortunately saw him, stopped dead and he slithered into the thicket. Shat myself!