Goals for the next year

jonnow

This is my first year (2011/2012) doing triathlons and I'm kinda in the dark as to what are realistic goals to achieve blush.gif.

I have entered 3 of the BSG races, merely because I've read that they are great fun, and it beats training alone on those weekends. I'm wanting to enter the Joburg Tri, but i'm struggling to get my swimming up to scratch and it's only a month away. My goal is to do one sprint a month, and end with an olympic distance race this season. Any suggestions for tri's that aren't on the calendar that I should keep in mind?

Now, for next year (2012/2013), would it be a reasonable goal to aim for a 70.3, if i put the effort in obviously, and then aim for a full IM the following year? Are these goals too weak or too strong?

Some advice would be really cool.thumbup1.gif

Hi Jonnow

No those goals are realistic. It all depends on the amount of effort you want to put in.

The Troi sports tri is in Germiston so dont be surprised if there is no swim leg due to the crappy water.

Here is an example of how you can plan/motivate for the half IM in East Londen which is end of Jan every year.

Get cycle fit. Make sure you do races like the Jacaranda Satelite Challenge as well as the 94.7 (not sure where you live but normally its easy to find races in October/Nov). Also start to run a bit more (if you strugle with running start doing some spin classes. They help). Try doing 5km's at least three times a week.

Then after the 94.7 just keep chipping away. The enter the Prestige Ultra 70.3 in Vanderbijl in December. Swim the 2km's, ride the 90km's at a very relaxing pace and maybe just do 1 loop (10km) of the run and then quit. This should put you in prime position for the East Londen race.

Remember. You have plenty of time to finish these races.

Also consider getting a swimming coach fo a few lessons. And buy a Wetsuit if you do not have one. It makes a massive difference to a *** swimmer.

A basic rule guys follow is that you must be able to do one disciplines full distance in one week. So in one week you would need to run 21km's in total. Same with swimmming and the bike. Seems a bit easier now doesnt it?

Hi Jonnow

No those goals are realistic. It all depends on the amount of effort you want to put in.

The Troi sports tri is in Germiston so dont be surprised if there is no swim leg due to the crappy water.

Here is an example of how you can plan/motivate for the half IM in East Londen which is end of Jan every year.

Get cycle fit. Make sure you do races like the Jacaranda Satelite Challenge as well as the 94.7 (not sure where you live but normally its easy to find races in October/Nov). Also start to run a bit more (if you strugle with running start doing some spin classes. They help). Try doing 5km's at least three times a week.

Then after the 94.7 just keep chipping away. The enter the Prestige Ultra 70.3 in Vanderbijl in December. Swim the 2km's, ride the 90km's at a very relaxing pace and maybe just do 1 loop (10km) of the run and then quit. This should put you in prime position for the East Londen race.

Also consider getting a swimming coach fo a few lessons. And buy a Wetsuit if you do not have one. It makes a massive difference to a *** swimmer.

A basic rule guys follow is that you must be able to do one disciplines full distance in one week. So in one week you would need to run 21km's in total. Same with swimmming and the bike. Seems a bit easier now doesnt it?

If I'm giving these BSG events a bash, "to get into the sport" do have to have a wetsuit, it's just that they are *** baie moneys..

No. With the BSG's you do not need a wetsuit (10 - 15min of swim only). In fact, I think they arent wetsuit legal most of the times. For the half IM however you really need one!

My advice on the run (as with most things) is to build up slowly. Don't go to far to quickly. It's on the run where you'll pick up injuries and you will not be able to reach your goals.

My advice is to combine speed/tempo runs in the week with a long run over the weekend. On the long run, run slowly HR (140/145-ish depending on your zones) and only increase the time and or distance by 10% per week. Have a rest week every 4-5weeks. In that rest week you can do a 6 - 8km time trial to track your progress.

In summary - get a good, solid base!

Hi Jonnow

Thanks for the advice. It doesn't seem so bad if you put it like that! Needed that bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I'm doing a lot of spinning at the moment to replace riding, as I work crappy hours. So I think I'm in good standing there. I live in JHB so I'll make a plan to do the 94.7. Need to ask Hitler if I can have a day off work.

My advice on the run (as with most things) is to build up slowly. Don't go to far to quickly. It's on the run where you'll pick up injuries and you will not be able to reach your goals.

My advice is to combine speed/tempo runs in the week with a long run over the weekend. On the long run, run slowly HR (140/145-ish depending on your zones) and only increase the time and or distance by 10% per week. Have a rest week every 4-5weeks. In that rest week you can do a 6 - 8km time trial to track your progress.

In summary - get a good, solid base!

I can easily run 1.5km's in about 10/12 minutes, so I will start to build up from there.

Thanks for the advise guys!!! thumbup1.gifthumbup1.gifthumbup1.gif

Don't be put off by the fact that your swimming sucks. Mine still does !!

I entered a couple of the BSG races last year after never having done that type of race, progressed to 70.3 in Jan and then did full IM in April.

If your running and cycling abilities are average or above average, this more than makes up for a distinct lack of swimming ability.

Cool!

Also if you are serious then stay in Joburg during December. No better month to train around here!

I am a very crap swimmer, average biker and average runner. I have done 70.3 about 5 times and a full IM once. I used to only train once a week. Now days I am going to the gym 2 a week and then try and do a 2-3 hour cession on Saturday as well.

If you need more motivation, go do the numbers......

I think you have 08h00 to do the 70.3 in.... (or even 08h30 - not sure)

If you are a really *** swimmer then you will do the swim leg in 50 minutes... Lets say it is an hour including transition 1.

So now if you are also a very slow cyclist averaging only 25km/hour then we are looking at a 03h30 cycling leg. Lets make it 03h45 with a very very slow transition 2.................

This leaves you with around 03h15 for the 21km's..... You can walk that a a steady pace......

Just remember that the out leg on the 70.3 is TOUGH and you climb virtually all the way for those 45km's. If memory serves me correctly there were only 220 cyclists out of 1800 that broke 3hrs last year.

I'm glad I have asked the questions. I'm still new, so that's why i'm giving myself a LONG run up to 70.3. I need to do the first few tri's to understand where my weaknesses are so that i can start applying better training methods in those areas.

But, unsure.gif the numbers are still daunting...

I just entered the 94.7 so I now have another goal to work towardsclap.gif

No. With the BSG's you do not need a wetsuit (10 - 15min of swim only). In fact, I think they arent wetsuit legal most of the times. For the half IM however you really need one!

What could I then wear to beat the cold that might be there, still?

Dude

70% is in the mind. If you can do the 94.7 in November and also run a 21km race a week or 2 after that then you will be OK.

Remember to enter the Prestige Ultra on 16 Dec. Awesome easy race to test your progress.

I think you must target the half IM for Jan 2012 and the full IM for 2013.

PS:- BSG is nothing like the longer events. BSG is splash and dash.

There is also an Afriman event coming up. Think it is something like 12km run, bike 70km and the again run 6km's. Somtime near the end of September. THere is also a shorter version. Perhpas look at that?

The BSG series water isn't cold. When you start swimming in the ocean then it becomes cold.

The guys normally measure the water temp before the race and then decide if wetsuits will be allowed. 90% of the times with BSG (inland events) wetsuits will not be allowed.

In any case, if you only swim 600m then it is actually a waste as the suit takes long to undress.

@Garfield2010 - How long have you been doing tri's for? Seems that you have a wealth of knowledge that us newbies need to tap into.

Where can I do open water swimming around the Gauteng area? I would like to try and practice some swimming, and I'm not so keen on swimming on my own at the Vaal with the boats.

I'm glad I have asked the questions. I'm still new, so that's why i'm giving myself a LONG run up to 70.3. I need to do the first few tri's to understand where my weaknesses are so that i can start applying better training methods in those areas.

But, unsure.gif the numbers are still daunting...

I just entered the 94.7 so I now have another goal to work towardsclap.gif

you also need to figure out what discipline of Triathlon you want to do! I have been racing tri for 3 years and I haven't done a 70.3 or IM. I prefer the Olympic Distance because as my good friend Ricky Bobby says, "I wanna go faaaast." I get so frustrated when people ask me about tri when they find out I take part, they always so, 'oh so you do the Ironman.' it drives me insane! it's ok to just do the sprints and maybe 1 Olympic. don't let 'performing' pressurise you or will lose the love for the sport. stick with what you enjoy, if 70.3 is really something you want to tackle go for it but don't be scared to take it slow. I raced my first Oly Dist. after 14 months of Sprint Distances. I still get asked when I am doing IM but I ignore it, when I am older I will tackle it for sure but for now I am happy doing what I enjoy. long story short, stick with what you enjoy and what you are comfortable with. :) and stuff what everybody else thinks!!

Edited by The OriginalSpartacus

Hi Jonnow

Best place to do open water swim is Heia Safari They got a nice clean dam and there are usaly quite a few people swimming.

Half Iron is 5 months away. Plenty of time to train. If you can do a BSG in 1 H 30 you will easily do 70.3. Remember that a wetsuit is a must for 70.3 and you will not be permitted to swim without it if the water is below 14 degrees like this year. Swim the BSG with it because you need to get used to it and it also gives you transition training for 70.3. Prestige a very nice introductory to the half distance as this course is easy compared to East london and you should be able to do it even when not 100% ready. Just dont race it to hard if you plan to do 70.3

If you want to do 70.3 you should enter now as this race is usualy sold out come November.