[Event] EQSTRA Spring Classic Presented By First AScent

JenniGreen

Event Name: EQSTRA Spring Classic Presented By First AScent
When: 28 August 2011
Where: Helderfontein Estate, Just North of Lonehill, Gauteng
Category: MTB

All routes start and finish inside the beautiful Helderfontain Estate, just north of Lonehill. This new development is taking shape daily, so presents new and exciting obstacles and challenges almost on a weekly basis. The wildlife that calls Helderfontein home is simply remarkable, considering we are still in Joburg. Look out for jackals, buck and some incredible bird life.

The first five kilometers are contained in the Estate, with wide district roads and Jeep track allow for over taking, and the sorting of the racing snakes from the joyriders. Before you know it, we’ve left the confines of Helderfontein, and have meandered over to Riversands Farm, and those of you who have ridden here in the past, know that there is a variety of riding, including some single track, jeep track, and long drag or two, and even a possible river crossing or two!

From there, we head out towards the Blue Hills development, which was a 4x4 track in it’s past life. For the 20km route, fear not, we throw in some great single track, a couple of little climbs, and you’re making your way home.

For the 45km route, you head straight into the technical part of the ride, with all sorts of rocky terrain, mud, climbs and some fun drop-offs. Most of the technical sections have chicken runs, so if your endurance is good, but not your technical ability, fear not, there will be a way around these little ‘tests’. Look out for zebra and buck in this estate, as well as the endangered Bull Frog!

Once you’re out of the Blue Hills development, don’t think it’s all plain sailing to the finish. A good couple of climbs, but some awesome single track and downhills await you. If you ride the 45km route, you will climb in the region of 800m.

Always be mindful of traffic – the roads aren’t closed to traffic. If you are on a district road, please keep left unless otherwise advised by marshals/signage.

The areas that we ride in are also equestrian areas, so please be mindful of horses on or around the course.

The 10km route doesn’t leave the Helderfontein Estate property, and is designed for kids and beginners who are still learning, and gaining confidence – nothing too technical, but enough of the good stuff to whet the appetite! Remember to carry water with you.

What else to expect?

* KIDS Area at Helderfontein

* SA Seeding, and SS Timing

* Spur catering and Beer Garden

* Bike Wash compliments of Eqstra

Go to Event Page

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first race!!

Nervous and excited, don't have any reference as to how tough 800m of climbing is.

Online entries not working? Take me to the first page but doesn't allow me to tick an event :thumbdown:

Edited by slowlady

Guest agteros

Tomorrow on www.spectrumsport.co.za ? It lists as not available at the moment

Well organised event :thumbup: :

• Helivac Presence
  • 4WD Rescue Club
  • Smaller batches and good time space between batches

The chicken runs were a great idea, kept us chooks out of the way of the dare devils :clap:

Well done guys!

Orgs great, route well marked with a bit of everything. Except for a tumble avoiding a guy who stopped suddenly and a flat with 2k's to go where i lost time my race went well.

Thumbs up from me. :thumbup:

Guest agteros

You guys should thank me too, I was on some sections of the route yesterday and picked up countless 'duwweltjies' and thorns. Hope it was all puncture free today?

Any one know who did the photography? for a change the photographers were at good spots!