29ER Softail versus 29ER hardtail.

2niner

I know im going to get some seriously obvious answers, but the reason for my question is I'm considering replacing my Giant anthem X29Er with a 29er hardtail.Choices are Momsen,Volcan, Scott, Niner. Weight is an important factor, so sub 10,5kg is my target.

Is this a dumb move,and are there huge differences in ride comfort between a carbon frame and an aliminium frame. Most of my riding would be small portion of tar, routes similar to the last PicknPay Knysna 50Km ride, single track and technical downhills. I ride almost daily, do not do any serious racing but like to compete in the odd events with distances of 80km to 130km per ride.

Your views would be appreciated. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

130 km...kinda sounds like words like 'comfort' and 'plush' should be high on the agenda?

I have a duel sus 29er - I also wonder how a 29er HT would be....I have no idea. But for me a 40 km ride is plenty.

I done a few long rides on my 29er Hardtail....felt awesome....comparing to 26er ride is way smoother. I never tried a Dual suspension before as I find a hardtail perfect....

My 2c - if you are riding 80-130 off raod - go for Softail. You can make a hardtail softer by putting on a bigger tyre, but then you could have clearance issues - especially if there is mud.

I tested Hardtails, but prefer the full suspension ride - in all conditions except tar. You will battle to get to your bike weight target though.

How so?

Hardtail bikes are the best… if…

• You are riding smooth single track and need accurate response
  • You need good climbing ability
  • You want a lighter bike
  • You want pedalling efficiency (and to conserve your own energy)
  • If you are a XC racer who is after the biggest weight saving
  • Want a bike that is easier to maintain and keep in good working order
  • Are a dirt jumper who wants better pump off of jumps

Full Suspension bikes are the best… if…

• You ride downhill
  • Go off jumps/drop-offs
  • Suffer from saddle-ass
  • Ride in rough terrain
  • Want an all round bike with less limitations
  • Want a smoother ride on the trail
  • Want a more comfortable bike

Edited by Chubba

My bike weights 12.2 kg. From this point an wards to get it lighter it means a lot more expensive and a lot more flimsy.

If weight is your issue, consider the Spez S-Works Stumpjumper 29er HT. Rides and climbs like a 26er with the benefits of a 29er, This is mine weighing 9.3kg.

post-12004-0-41063000-1314003253.jpg

Edited by andrè traut

These are looking hot, with rumoured retail of around R30 000... and should be in SA soon :clap:

http://cdn.mongoose.com/catalog/product/cache/108/image/878x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/m/_/m_12_METEL_WHT_6.jpg

If sub 10.5kg is ure constraint u gonna have to loosen your money belt first up. I just been transalp 600km on my trek superfly elite (HT), conclusion, if it could cook I would marry it. Best handling big wheel ever ridden with stiff chassy and a long range cruiser feel to it.

Would check out the new scott range 29'ers awesome bang for the buck and light too.Carbon version +- R25k

Ill never ride 26" wheels again just sold mine.

good luck.

thanks hubbers, its going to come to a weight/value for money thing. 10.5 kg is a bit ambitious, becauce of pricing, so swaying towards a hardtail, for now.

:thumbup:

Does 1 or 2 kg's really make a difference in total weight of a 29er mtb?

Im in the same boat as to go HT or Dual sus 29er mtb.

Edited by heed0

If you're not racing then why is weight an issue?

According to what you will be using the bike for then you might as well just upgrade or get a new bike.

Compared to a 26er hardtail a 29er hardtail is the equivalent of a 26er dual suss.

But like i said before, why is weight a concern if you're just gonna be chilling on the technical stuff?

If you're not racing then why is weight an issue?

According to what you will be using the bike for then you might as well just upgrade or get a new bike.

Compared to a 26er hardtail a 29er hardtail is the equivalent of a 26er dual suss.

But like i said before, why is weight a concern if you're just gonna be chilling on the technical stuff?

Dont disagree, have considered an upgrade, but i know there's aleays that one time you're going to want to race and wish for a more responsive bike.

Dont disagree, have considered an upgrade, but i know there's aleays that one time you're going to want to race and wish for a more responsive bike.

But is that one race really worth being uncomfortable on all the other rides?

I assume you're selling your current bike too.

I ride a 26" hardtail and I love it, but thats just me.