Garmin 500 accuracy

BushGoblin

Hi

I have read on a few forums/website that some people complain about the accuracy of the edge 500 in forests,etc. Any hubbers out there have experienced this?

Thanks.

I use the speedsensor and magnet(apparently slightly more accurate) and not GPS to determine speed/distance. But on the occasions that I did use GPS to determine it, all was fine.

I have the recording interval set to 1 sec and not the "smart" default option. Dont know if that makes a difference :unsure:

'it's accurate enough for me' if that helps. Never had a situation where I noticed any discrepancy that would concern me ......

We were discussing exactly the same thing on Saturday.

"good enough for me" was the answer.

On the loops I ride where I know the distances there was no discernable difference normal computer to Edge 500.

I can see how forrests will be a problem to a GPS but unless they're many kilometres long and really dense I don't see it being a practical problem...

Mr Zealot. not everyone is worried about a ride being a few k's short, or a few k's long.

However, some hubbers do like to complain about race distance ridden and race distance advertised.

I recently got an Edge 500 and have been riding with it together with my usual computer (CS400) on my mtb just to get an idea of whats what before I unplug the polar...

Comparing actual current speed between the 2 while riding the E500 speed measurement starts to indicate significantly less than the polar while riding in deep narrow gorges or under tree's, even under tree's where you can still see some sky.

I remember reading somwhere that Garmin claimed that the E500 would work better under tree's or in forests, I wonder how bad the other versions worked.

EDIT:

Total distance seems to be relativly acurate / close to the polar, but I have not really compared all the stats yet, been a bit lazy....

Edited by SwissVan

Its never been an issue for me. Of more importance is that it seems to be much more accurate on the measuring of altitude (GPS based vs baromoter based). When I ride a hard mtb race I look at how many meters I still have to climb, not how far I need to ride.

Yup, no issues.

I ride with gps only. Have the cadence sensor for cadence only.

My 500 picks up satellite reception inside the house even :unsure:

thanks for the feedback guys, my forerunner 405 has packed up and getting an "upgrade" option if i want it.

My only one odd happening was at the Knysna 100km cycle tour last year, had the magnet on and it showed up at 110km instead of 100km. Since then though, and removing the magnet (on the wheel, only have cadence now) my speed and distance have always seemed more reliable, although it does take a while to find the satellites.

If you have a power meter then it doesn't use the gps. Just instant speed/power/distance.

No worries on mine either. Had it for a year now and I reckon it is still th best computer on the market.

Scheisse..... Am I the only one who has anti gps forests to ride in?

Must be an expat thing; *** satellites this far north/south :P