Running as cycling training

Broke my wrist and thus off the bike for some weeks.

What I like about cycling is the outdoors factor. I am not an indoor trainer kind of person, so this is not an option for me for to keep fit.

Does a 3hr base ride equate to a 3hr slow run, or can I run shorter for the same result?

Any further suggestion, ie hill running or intervals welcome please.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running is great training for cycling. Just did 3-stage race with a mate. He had done NO CYCLING training for the race but was super fit from running. I couldn't keep up with him!!!

From my experience (I run and cycle), you can get away with a shorter run for the same cycling effort. What the ratio is, I'm not sure.

Running will keep your weight down and keep your legs strong.

You dont need to run 3 hours! eish. Rather run between 1-2 hours and adjust you pace accourding to your fitness and "feel"

that is what i will say...

Guest agteros

Just run for 60 minutes a day. 3 hours is overkill. If you haven't run much before even an hour of running is asking a lot.

Edited by agteros

Just rub for 60 minutes a day. 3 hours is overkill. If you haven't run much before even an hour if running is asking a lot.

What do I have to rub? Before or after the run? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advise guys.

Hey Knobby,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Here is my take:

Running is an implosive action vs cycling which is a cyclical motion.

Running is much harder on the body as oppose to cycling as the body has to propel itself forward and brace and absorb the shock of every stride. It works diff muscle groups than cycling but requires more energy and more efficient breathing.

Running will help your cycling much more that the other way around - I found that I could ride a stronger pace up a drag & climb after a solid running season.

I would recommend starting off easy with the run - 30min is enough at first to get the body use to the new motion.

Work up to 1h15 is you can - around 75% of max HR is enough. Enjoy your run!!!! Allow for enough recovery. Try trail running as its close to MTB.

When its time to get back on the bike you will prob feel stronger than before stamina wise.

See you out there soon mate.

You can also combine running with a few lunges etc to build some strenght. I went cycling for the first time last week in 4 months. I did a lot of running the past few months and it was unbelievable how fit I was on the bike.

Just my arse got sore.......

How much have you run before? If you haven't run much, I would strongly recommend a slow introduction to running.

Tim Noakes in his book "The Lore of Running", has a beginner programme that starts out with walking for about 2-3 weeks before even running, and then begins the running with 5 minutes at a time. This sounds quite extreme, but research has shown that beginners often suffer injuries. Ironically, in his book he states that generally fit people are more prone to injury as they increase their mileage before their bones/joints/tendons are ready for it.

In March, my friends and I (all cyclists)decided to aim for triathlons at the end of the year, and after following this approach, I am the only one of us that is not injured at the moment, all running related.

On top of that, this is what Joe Friel has to say about long runs:

"When it comes to running, the purpose of the Base period is to increase the duration of your weekly long run to no more than three hours in zones 1 and 2 only. Yes, that’s right—no more than three hours. In fact, you only need a couple of these. Most of the long endurance runs will be in the neighborhood of two-and-a-half hours. Why? As the duration of your running increases your risk also increases but with no greater benefits gained. In other words, you are more likely to get injured running longer than three hours while becoming no more fit than with shorter runs."

Guest agteros

What do I have to rub? Before or after the run? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advise guys.

spelling mistakes rectified.. but if you wanna rub, feet on the ground then :)

goeie begryper, ens...

Thanks guys. Some great advise here.

I am not a complete running novice. Been running about twice a month and did some adventure races recently (hence the broken wrist :( ) Did a 30km trail run this weekend and I'm pretty stukkend today.

I just never ran as my only training, nor Have I been off the bike for an extended period. Think I will take the advise of taking it easy to start off with.

Good to hear running may even make one a stronger cyclist! And it's cheap!

You can also combine running with a few lunges etc to build some strenght. I went cycling for the first time last week in 4 months. I did a lot of running the past few months and it was unbelievable how fit I was on the bike.

Just my arse got sore.......

+1 :blush:

Just run for 60 minutes a day. 3 hours is overkill. If you haven't run much before even an hour of running is asking a lot.

Yip and the real important rule in running, never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10 %

Some people treat it like a joke.

I passed a guy at the 6 k mark in to an 11.5 k run this weekend, he was flying but also breathing worse than a caterpillar being pomped by donkey.

He finished 40 minutes behind me.

That is a lot of time lost for acting like an ignorant hero in the beginning.

Guest agteros

Yip and the real important rule in running, never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10 %

Some people treat it like a joke.

I passed a guy at the 6 k mark in to an 11.5 k run this weekend, he was flying but also breathing worse than a caterpillar being pomped by donkey.

He finished 40 minutes behind me.

That is a lot of time lost for acting like an ignorant hero in the beginning.

Never a truer word said!

@ OP: sorry, but running twice a month is NOT running, it is mere messing around. Go for a 30 minute run, feel how you feel the day after that, and then rethink your strategy.

Running is a much more rewarding (for actual effort put in) than cycling. It WILL keep you honest about your athletic endeavours!

In your position, I'd go with spinning.. At least keep your legs "cycling fit" and you can sit up and not use your wrist...

My 2cents worth :)

Broke my wrist and thus off the bike for some weeks.

What I like about cycling is the outdoors factor. I am not an indoor trainer kind of person, so this is not an option for me for to keep fit.

Does a 3hr base ride equate to a 3hr slow run, or can I run shorter for the same result?

Any further suggestion, ie hill running or intervals welcome please.

Are you looking at this from a just general keeping fit point of view or are you wanting to keep cycle fit? I'm going to disagree with pretty much everyone else and say that running will not keep you cycling fit. Yes it will keep you "fit" but when you get back on the bike you must expect to have lost a lot of your cycling specific fitness.

Conversly it is commonly held wisdon that cycling does keep you run fit. In fact I did and Ironman without doing any running training due to an injury (stress fracture). I think it would be near impossible to do that the other way... i.e do an ironman with only run training and no cycling.