Rim Tape: two layers or not?

LeTurbo

Did the LBS salesman sell me 8 metres of rim tape just because he could? He says two layers, but I've only ever seen one on my wheels. They're oldish Mavic SUP. What do you guys do?

Umm,

I had one layer on my wheel once. It moved slightly and the air escaped.

I redid this layer with one layer and it has been working fine.

I took my other wheel to Action and they put about 3 to 5 layers on and I am much more comfortable with this so will be taking my single layered wheel to them.

1 works, 2 is better, 3 is better, not sure what is best.

I had one layer on my wheel once. It moved slightly and the air escaped.

Come again? It moved and "air escaped" ? How? Was the tube punctured by a spoke hole or what?

Did the LBS salesman sell me 8 metres of rim tape just because he could? He says two layers, but I've only ever seen one on my wheels. They're oldish Mavic SUP. What do you guys do?

I've used insulation tape, duct tape, and rim tape. One layer should be fine, put one layer on and save the rest for a rainy day. (and tell the bike shop moron he's a f*&kwit next time you go there...)

Come again? It moved and "air escaped" ? How? Was the tube punctured by a spoke hole or what?

I thought he meant tubeless rim tape, the yellow stuff.

The sealant must have somehow got under and then it just found it way to the valve hole.

Come to think of it maybe when they put the tire on the tire lever could have moved the tape.

not exactly sure but the air was escaping via the valve and i tightened and tightened but air was still getting out. As it turns out it was escaping under the tape (no tube) and through the spoke hole and out the valve hole.

Was this by any chance a shop in Canal Walk Shopping Center?

I thought he meant tubeless rim tape,

Dude, he said "old Mavic SUP's"...

Come on, get up to speed...

Stan the Man says one layer of his yellow tape, although I think he recommends 2 for road rims given higher pressure (will need to check that)

To many layers of tape for a road rims is not a good idea. This causes you to battle to put the tyre on. One decent Continental rim tape will do the trick.

Stan the Man says one layer of his yellow tape, although I think he recommends 2 for road rims given higher pressure (will need to check that)

F*&k Stan.

On your bike computer the circumference of your road bike or "29er" is 2085mm. That's two meters per layer of tape. How did he get to 8 meters on a 2 meter wheel? I suppose two layers over two wheels.

Insulation tape doesn't work as rim tape, even on low pressure tyres. PCV simply stretches and stretches right out of its glue foundation. You need hard tape (Stans) or fibre-reinforced tape that doesn't stretch.

You say Mavic sup (sup means weld in frog-speak) and that could be just about any Mavic rim. For road rims, use proper plastic tape (life's too short for fabric tape and other fuddy duddy old fashioned nonsense) and for tubeless MTB rims, use Stans tape. One layer of each.

F*&k Stan.

Why so oh oracle? I found his videos on tubeless mtb installations very helpful: done a few (3x) wheel sets and happy to report no problems whatsoever. But that's me....

And he does specify two layers of tape for road tubeless:

"Install two layers of NoTubes 21mm wide yellow spoke tape. Pulling very hard using a waving motion. This waving motion will allow the wide tape to fill almost the entire inside of the rim. The wider tape will seal not only the spoke holes but also go up the sides of the narrow rims sealing the rim..."

Just for you

Edited by kosmonooit

Why so oh oracle? I found his videos on tubeless mtb installations very helpful: done a few (3x) wheel sets and happy to report no problems whatsoever. But that's me....

And he does specify two layers of tape for road tubeless:

"Install two layers of NoTubes 21mm wide yellow spoke tape. Pulling very hard using a waving motion. This waving motion will allow the wide tape to fill almost the entire inside of the rim. The wider tape will seal not only the spoke holes but also go up the sides of the narrow rims sealing the rim..."

Just for you

Have you had a look at the BBT MTB rim strip. Manufactured local and does not stick to the rim. Can be removed from the rim and re-used again, incase you have to replace a spoke. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dustbin Dog

Have you had a look at the BBT MTB rim strip. Manufactured local and does not stick to the rim. Can be removed from the rim and re-used again, incase you have to replace a spoke. :rolleyes:

Tell me more? What does it look like. What is it made of? I'm always looking for better rim strips.

Is it like the Bontrager stip?