SUCKS! I need new tires!

MJ the Expat

This Sunday at Sun City I got my first sidewall cut in 3 years of racing. It was right next to - even just below the rim. I had to deflate the tire (after I bombed it and realised where it punctured) and the when it did not seal, I had to plug it. It cost me dearly!

6 plugs in 6 months. 5 in the front and one plug in the rear wheel.

Light tires in my opinion is a waste of money! (PS: I don't have lightweight tires - I am just saying) The GEAX i have punctures easily enough and they are TNT UST type tires so...

So it is off to the LBS to prowl the tyre rack...SUCKS!

This Sunday at Sun City I got my first sidewall cut in 3 years of racing. It was right next to - even just below the rim. I had to deflate the tire (after I bombed it and realised where it punctured) and the when it did not seal, I had to plug it. It cost me dearly!

6 plugs in 6 months. 5 in the front and one plug in the rear wheel.

Light tires in my opinion is a waste of money! (PS: I don't have lightweight tires - I am just saying) The GEAX i have punctures easily enough and they are TNT UST type tires so...

So it is off to the LBS to prowl the tyre rack...SUCKS!

One word for you and I'm only gonna say it once.....MAXXIS

I had the MAXXIS before - Crossmark, but the GEAX beats them in grip! Hands down. And I know they are tough but I also know there are grippier tires out there!

I like grippy!

Thinking of

Rocket Ron front - race king rear

Geax Barro front - AKA rear (I know - GEAX AGAIN???)

Monrail front - Small block 8 rear (Larsen TT maybe)

But I might even just go Barro front - Suguaro rear. Hmmm...

I know this isn't relevant but had to laugh at my mates wife some time ago overheard telling someone:-

"I have 2 words for you Tube Less" :D

Sorry for the hijack!

I got a mountain king from easy bike, put it on over the weekend - what a great tire! Granted I had a Larsen TT 2.1 on the front before that, but i really noticed the difference.

I got a mountain king from easy bike, put it on over the weekend - what a great tire! Granted I had a Larsen TT 2.1 on the front before that, but i really noticed the difference.

I am not so sure about the mountain king...I know to many people who had to many punctures with that tire.

I know this isn't relevant but had to laugh at my mates wife some time ago overheard telling someone:-

"I have 2 words for you Tube Less" :D

Sorry for the hijack!

:D

I got the 'protection' version, so hopefully that will help with puncture protection, but it may just be a thicker side wall - not too sure.

I am not so sure about the mountain king...I know to many people who had to many punctures with that tire.

Ive never had 1 in over a yr..."touch wood"

Edited by eyecandy

I had the MAXXIS before - Crossmark, but the GEAX beats them in grip! Hands down. And I know they are tough but I also know there are grippier tires out there!

I like grippy!

Thinking of

Rocket Ron front - race king rear

Geax Barro front - AKA rear (I know - GEAX AGAIN???)

Monrail front - Small block 8 rear (Larsen TT maybe)

But I might even just go Barro front - Suguaro rear. Hmmm...

Ja, the Maxxis Monorail and Crossmark is really useless from a traction point of view when it gets wet, but for anything else they work extremely well. The trick is to run them at lekker low pressure to get the best grip out of them. But if you want a strong dependable tyre, I wouldn't look further. I'd much rather take a heavier tyre and not have to worry every time you blast through a rock garden. I have 2.35 Maxxis High rollers on my AM bike. Maybe think about those as well. I think you get them in 2.1 as well.

Myself and 2 friends have been using the mk tubeless version for last 2,5 years (front wheel). Not a single puncture as yet.

Im running Racing Ralphs snakeskin in front and AKAs on the back.

Seriously nice fast running combo and Im really happy with traction.

Will have to see how this is going to operate in mud....and also how long Racing Ralphs is going to last

With 29er the choices are really more limited than what I would haveliked