[Event] Trans Drakensberg MTB Race

goya-goya

Event Name: Trans Drakensberg MTB Race

When: 22 October 2011 - 23 October 2011

Where: Swinburne, Freestate

Category: MTB

The Trans Drakensberg route was 'discovered' by a group of mountain bikers exploring the region of Van Reenen, the Lost Valley, Middledale Pass, Bezuidenhout Pass and Retief Pass in preperation for the annual Trans Baviaans 24hr MTB marathon. They came up with a route of 210km and a total ascent of 3600m which is now brought to you as a 24hr MTB enduro event.

Local MTB farmers and MTB friends (Tintwa team) planned this stunning route with lots of exciting riding trails that will give any extreme mountain biker a remembrance of a fantastic new adventure. This event aims to suite a wide variety of mountain bikers and further aims to impact on the local communities through involvement, social upliftment and development.

The event starts at the quint little town of Swinburne (just of the N3 25km from Harrismith) and will finish at the Drakensville ATKV Holiday Resort at Bergville.

Go to Event Page

Edited by goya-goya

Wow, if you ride this you can go back in time!!!! :clap:

Jokes aside, I saw this the other day, looks awesome. Pity I can't get away for it. Looks like some of the trails around Berg and bush and Joberg2c day 4, which was the best day of that race. I'm jealous of anyone who rides this.

So if I do stage 5 and 6 of the CPT in one day, I can still make it to the start.

Murphy's law determine that all the attractive races are scheduled to clash with each other.

blush.gif oops!!! Forgive me for my oversight...

I have corrected the dates...

Would have been cool if we could have gone back in time! thumbup1.gif

I am sure this is gonna be even better than the Transbaviaans!!

I wish I had a partner to do the Pioneer...drool.gif

But this is gonna be an awesum consolation prize! clap.gif

I am sure this is gonna be even better than the Transbaviaans!!

I wish I had a partner to do the Pioneer...drool.gif

But this is gonna be an awesum consolation prize! clap.gif

You can now enter as Solo in the CPT :D

We are going to enter. Coming through straight from Swazi Frontier.

Do you think they will let us ride as a team of 5 or are going to have to enter 3 and 2?

• 2 weeks later...

Please could someone adopt me as a team mate? Would love to do it but struggling to find a team.. Dirty Twin? Edgar? Anyone?

This looks seriously scary! But since my little brother has already put in me on the spot I am going to get all excited and do this thing. We started training last night and felt ok. Now the question is who are the experts who can advise us on weather patterns at that time of year and support during the event. Will we get boxes and how many? What will be at the checkpoints?

Transbaviaans we got 2 boxes... they are about 20L boxes... you can put loads of **** in there...

I guess this is gonna be way more difficult and not as cold as the TransBaviaans

A tip.. take the following on you:

1. spare bolts for everything on your bike...
  2. spare derailleur cable
  3. spare derailleur wheels
  4. Tube - with slime

Also do not over estimate your progress before it gets dark... Take a small battery and put your light on before it gets dark(I would estimate you leave your light and small battery at checkpoint 4)... anything can happen - my partner broke a derailleur cable and had to struggle up all the hills for 20km so we ended up going down the ravine in the dark!! eeeish! was foolish and scary! Put the big battery in at the first night check point box...

At this point my partner had bombed and he struggled through the next 80km(REEESPECT!)... it is a team effort and so we stuck together... the last stretch from check point 3 took us about 10 hours... be prepared!

Sort out your energy consumption long before the ride... do not try new stuff...

Pace yourself... if you bomb... its a bloody long way! - ask my buddycursing.gif

You do not need to eat the *** they give you at the check points... consume if you need to!

I rode with my thermal longs and jackets the entire way... I was waiting for it to get hotter - did not! take a rain jacket with you the whole way!

A beanie or balaclava with make you very comfortable if you get stuck out at night...

Oh I got these toastie things from a camping store... kept my hand nice and warm! you even get them for feet and body...clap.gif

Some good things to advise...

1. My endurance battery for my Magic light lasted more than the 10 hours from check point 3!! you will not need to ride with the beam on high all the time
  2. My Garmin 500 recorded - under the smart logging- for 17h21 minutes! and the light was on the entire time from check point 3 (10 hours)!

And let me tell you the kind of people who do this race are awesome... friendly, even after being on the bike for more time that you can imagine!!

Good luck it is an awesome adventure! one you will never regret or forget!

OK, now I REALLY want to do it!! No love out there? Any team mates?

Dude.. if you can organize a support team... I could be interested... My partner is a bit off endurance events at the moment and I am also teamlessblush.gif

Some quick questions:-

1) must you stay over the night before or can you arrive Saturday morning early?

2) do you get a GPS route you can use?

3) is a 4X4 support vehicle necessary or will a 2wd SUV be OK?