Joburg Triathlon

Rolling Thunder

I am looking at doing the Joburg Triathlon on the 25th September.

However I heard that the swim was cancelled last year due to water quality.

Does anyone know if the water quality is better and what type of race is this?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea

If they can't confirm that the swim will take place for sure I am going to rather do the Race for Victory over Suikerbosrand that day........

Germiston lake is sif. Even when we were allowed to swim there during the BSG it felt and smelled like crawling through a long drop..........

From what I've heard, the swim will take place on the opposite end of the lake to where it is normally held.

Whether that alleviates the problem, I have no idea.

the opposite end is where the Energade was always held... they moved their race for a reason, i will not enter the joburg tri until i have seen the water test results and secondly have you seen the entry costs? R400 per race??? looks like a new event organiser trying to make money out of the sport to me! how come the BSG races cost R200 and this one R400?

The water quality isues were temporary!

the water quality issues are not temporary! the water quality is affected every time it rains

Edited by Face Plant

From what I heard they just had bad luck last year with a sewage leak just before the race made worse by the filtering system of the dam packing up. Current water quality is apparently pretty good.

Look closely at the water. You will see used condoms etc floating around. That dam is sif and thats the end of that.

Well then I guess it depends on variables.

I have been there twice and the water smelled like ****. And after the second race I grew another eye on my left leg. Maybe it is when it rains as the other guy said.

Why dont they have more triathlons at the Buffelspoort Dam? Clean water and very little traffic.

the problem with buffelspoort is the road surface inside the venue ...it doesnt allow for roadbike use, secondly the road is too narrow to allow 600 athletes moving in one way and traffic in the other. So you would need full road closure which is a nighmare to arrange, buffelspoort is fantastic for offroad events because as you say the water quality is fantastic... in my opinion probably the best in the country

Edited by Face Plant

+1 on Buffelspoort

There must be a better option for Tri in Gauteng!

Otherwise just make all of it Xterra tyre races.

Maybe move it to Bela-Bela like the 5051 or Global 11 at Sun City.

There must be some other places we can swim.