2012 Merida

GrootSeun

And still people will fit riser bars and extra bottle cages to the seatpost.

Where else do you think the 2nd bottle should go?

Riser bars is a sin though. Especially with bar-ends on!

What I think he means, is that many people were attracted to the pricing and the look of the 96, and bought them, not realising they were uncomfortable racing geometry bikes with only one bottle cage mount, when they were weekend warriors looking for a more comfortable ride. This ended up in them trying to make them more suitable by adding riser bars with bar ends and extra bottle cage mounts for their 4 hour weekend rides. Classic case of some lbs' not assessing the needs of the client before selling them the correct bike.. Awesome ride for racing snakes though.

What I think he means, is that many people were attracted to the pricing and the look of the 96, and bought them, not realising they were uncomfortable racing geometry bikes with only one bottle cage mount, when they were weekend warriors looking for a more comfortable ride. This ended up in them trying to make them more suitable by adding riser bars with bar ends and extra bottle cage mounts for their 4 hour weekend rides. Classic case of some lbs' not assessing the needs of the client before selling them the correct bike.. Awesome ride for racing snakes though.

Exactly. It's a XC machine for races less then 2hrs. You don't need two bottles or even be very comfortable then. And true XC races are laps anyway so you can change bottles after every lap.

Bought a Merida 96 2000D Carbon just before Trans. Love it. Pimped it out as far as possible and its around 10.5kg now. Had to put a cage on the seatpost though, but not the end of the world.

Bought a Merida 96 2000D Carbon just before Trans. Love it. Pimped it out as far as possible and its around 10.5kg now. Had to put a cage on the seatpost though, but not the end of the world.

+1

The frame weighs in at 1.85kg, not bad for a d/s

I am a weekend warrior and proud of it! Even more proud of my Merida bike, although it is a more racing geometry bike and not being utilized as it should, I still love it and enjoy it over weekends and the 20 - 25 family rides!

to be quite honest i much preferred the look of the 96, but merida must have reasons for changing.

it the 99 replacing the 96 ? or are they just adding to their range?