Training Indoors

Yip, a part of cycling for me is seeing nature and having awesome views from my bicycle.

I sold my indoor trainer as when it's raining I see it as my of day or go to the gym and do upper body weights. Save the cycling for when I will enjoy it 100%.

I was wondering if training indoors for months can actually make you depressed?

It could actually. Reduced exposure to sunlight is one of the suggested causes of Seasonal Affective Disorder, a recognised mental disorder, especially in northern countries with long winters.

Never mind the fact that IDT workouts themselves are mind-numbingly boring.

I know a guy who watches a video of some guy riding through a forest, while he's training inside. Might help :P

Maybe, but it can also save your life.

I've been unable to ride outdoors because of a broken collarbone for the last 6 weeks. I was however allowed to ride the indoor trainer. Without any riding I would have gone nuts and would have lost a lot of my fitness. I ride a spinning bike at the gym whenever I have a gap during my workday and again when I get home after work. Most sessions are only 1/2 hour, but on average I do almost 1 hour a day. I found that variation (some easy, some very hard, some high cadence, some high power) and angry music makes it easier.

I was wondering if training indoors for months can actually make you depressed?

No lack of sunlight can do that tho, but then coming from Bloem you wont have that problem.

You just need to liven up the IDT sessions using something that keeps your mind side tracked from just sitting there i.e. watch a dvd movie, listen to good music, do challenging workouts, get off every 20 minutes and do some other exercises i.e. core exercises. There are loads of things you can do, dont be shy...

Extremely bored, yes. Depressed, probably not. I personally hate training indoors simply because it is so boring. It can be effective, but if you don't have anything to do it becomes quite monotonous.

I don't train hard enough when I'm riding on the road - so I train mostly indoors.

I open up both doors leading onto the patio and switch on the fan. Currently I’m doing Graeme Cronje’s indoor cycling classes. I’m honestly suffering way too much to fall depressed or get bored.

When I feel I need variety I switch to his video classes. But the audio classes are harder.

I think it depends on your motivation too. I do 10-12 hours a week on the trainer and one long ride outside on the weekends, mostly because I can't do my intervals or steady state training the way I should when I'm on the road!! If I have a specicic amount intervals to keep my mind occupied it is not bad to ride for 2hours, I don't even watch movies or tv anymore, when I have to look at heartrate, cadence, power, time, all those details, I don't have time to watch the movie and drift off anymore!! But if I just "ride" for 2hours, it feels like I'm going to die of boredom!! So before starting the training on the IDT, set your goals/intervals and then start, don't just ride....that works for me!!

10-12 hours indoor on a bike - I'll die! Kudos to you!

Which works better? Rollers or a trainer? I am guessing a you work on your balance more on rollers.

I would not be here today if i trained on rollers...its too difficult and i would focus too much on staying upright than actually training!!I train on a Tacx Flow trainer, brilliant buy....

Which works better? Rollers or a trainer? I am guessing a you work on your balance more on rollers.

I would not be here today if i trained on rollers...its too difficult and i would focus too much on staying upright than actually training!!I train on a Tacx Flow trainer, brilliant buy....

Somebody willing to share some indoor training routines..