TT bike frame size

mr_stig

Need some advice from those in the know.

I have decided that I need a TT bike (I probably don't, so perhaps "want" is a better word). I am in two minds about buying new and buying used. If I get a new bike I will obviously be guided through the process by the shop that will be getting my SARS refund, but am a little unsure of what to look for should I decided to buy something out the classified section.

• What size TT bike frame should I look at? Should I get the same size frame as my road bike?
  • Is there some kind of depreciation scale for bicycles? A kind of a "book" or "market" value for used bikes or is this solely determined by the seller?
  • Is it better to spend, for example, 15K on a used bike with better specs or the same cash on a new bike that has standard wheels, saddle post etc?

Thoughts anyone?

Hey Mr_Stig

well it depends are you going to get a frame and bars and just transfer your components over from your road bike? Cause that would save you some bucks and if you only have 15k to spend you can put it all into the frame and TT specific bars.

In terms of sizing the general rule of thumb is one size smaller than usual for your TT set-up so if you ride 56cm a 54cm TT bike would be the norm. although it is also rider specific and depends on your ride preference.

Your brands like Argon 18, Scott, Merida, Pinarello etc. hold their value quite well. Cycling is very 'brand' orientated so get a good name brand and you should be fine on resale.

Hey Mr_Stig

well it depends are you going to get a frame and bars and just transfer your components over from your road bike? Cause that would save you some bucks and if you only have 15k to spend you can put it all into the frame and TT specific bars.

In terms of sizing the general rule of thumb is one size smaller than usual for your TT set-up so if you ride 56cm a 54cm TT bike would be the norm. although it is also rider specific and depends on your ride preference.

Your brands like Argon 18, Scott, Merida, Pinarello etc. hold their value quite well. Cycling is very 'brand' orientated so get a good name brand and you should be fine on resale.

Thanks. I have been looking at the classified section on the Hub and there are one or two bikes that have caught my eye.

Size depends on how aggressive you want your TT position to be. The triathlon guys I know ride the same size road and TT frames. A too low position on the bike leg can negatively affect running performance.

For UCI road TTs, a frame size of 2cm smaller is a rough guide but a lot depends on what works for you. My ideal frame size is a 55cm, I tried out a 56 and 54 before buying a 51 in the end.

Size depends on how aggressive you want your TT position to be. The triathlon guys I know ride the same size road and TT frames. A too low position on the bike leg can negatively affect running performance.

For UCI road TTs, a frame size of 2cm smaller is a rough guide but a lot depends on what works for you. My ideal frame size is a 55cm, I tried out a 56 and 54 before buying a 51 in the end.

Thanks - you folks have helped me narrow down what to look for in a used bike.