Raleigh Carbon Road Bikes

Dirt De Vil

There's been a lot of Raleigh Carbon Road Bikes for sale on the hub recently, is it coincidence or is there something wrong with the frames?

There was a problem with the 2007 carbon frames. These were re-called and replaced. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with Raleigh. In fact, there has been more SA titles won on Raleighs in recent years, than any other brand.

The re-call was due to a crack in the cosmetic layer on the drive side chainstay. The product manager of Raleigh at the time assured me that it was purely cosmetic and there was no risk of failure.

Most of the 2007 frames were re-called, but some people chose not to exchange their frames as the problem was only cosmetic. These frames do pop up for sale from time to time. There was one for sale a few days ago on the Hub.

This is basically what the re-called frames looked like.

post-24487-0-50654500-1314270601.jpg

Edited by Longbarn Killer

boy when I mentioned it to the seller (currently selling similar bike in clasifieds), he had no clue of the issue

My dealings with the distrobutors in SA left a bad taste in my mouth regarding such a frame( team red version) :thumbdown:

Edited by slowtwitch

...but as far as sales, go, there are always plenty on the hub and has been for years, because there are so many on the roads

boy when I mentioned it to the seller (currently selling similar bike in clasifieds), he had no clue of the issue

My dealings with the distrobutors in SA left a bad taste in my mouth regarding such a frame( team red version) :thumbdown:

The Team version of thebike above is probably the best looking frame ever to have come out. I think the owner of these were short changed with the replacement frames.

Airbender had one for sale recently and has subsequently been sold - he was sellig coz he got an awesome deal on a Cannondale Super Six Hi-Mod with SRAM red groupo and Kyserium SL wheels.... Sweet looking bike,,, and his old bike (Raleigh carbon) had no issues either :thumbup:

I had the black an red team frame and never had one issue. Only reason I sold it was because I was offered a killer deal on a RC8000C.

there is nothing wrong with a raleigh carbon frame except for the few issues they had.

Unlike Cervelo's, Bianchi's, Colnago's and Orbea's. Raleigh was so badmouthed by those that bought more expensive frames. That vindictiveness caused raleigh to lose their market share and are now closing as a brand. Probike are now concentrating on other brands.

Edited by eccentric1

Unlike Cervelo's, Bianchi's, Colnago's and Orbea's. Raleigh was so badmouthed by those that bought more expensive frames. That vindictiveness caused raleigh to lose their market share and are now closing as a brand. Probike are now concentrating on other brands.

They made their own name cheap by selling R600.00 bikes at Game/Makro

The proper bikes were pretty decent and good value for money

No.............Raleigh of UK will be supplying Raleighs to SA from Jan 2012. They are busy setting everything up. It would appear that Emotion Cycles (Cervelo and Eddy Mercx) will be distributing.

Probike used to own Raleigh in SA, but they parted ways after they joined forces with Scott.

Thanx for the above info guys.

Always though I was alone.

When everyone saw I had a Raleigh, nobody really took me serious. That was until I proved that an ordinary entry level Raleigh with sora components could finish the Argus in a sub 3 and a half.

My noble stead as she was called, was all that I could afford. Raleigh RC2000 - 2007 model. Sadly we parted ways. She was replaced with another Raleigh. Carbon 2010 this time. Excellent.

A hubber on another thread warned that mentioning Raleigh on thehubsa would not go down well with the rest of the community. Thus I was an outcast again and relegated to silence.

That was until I proved that an ordinary entry level Raleigh with sora components could finish the Argus in a sub 3 and a half.

What is a sub 3 and a half? 3 hours plus the half of three hours, 1hr30?

What is a sub 3 and a half? 3 hours plus the half of three hours, 1hr30?

My bad! Always someone on the hub to correct one and point out your mistakes!

3hrs 21 min