Build-a-Bike - Enriching the lives of the less fortunate

divernick

The Website

I am collecting parts for a MTB bike build that I am going to donate to someone who will use it to ride to work instead of having to pay taxi fares or walk. I am going to document the process here on theHub and on my blog website.

All contributors will be credited, sponsoring businesses will be listed and links posted.

If all goes to plan, this will not be a once-off project and something that I (and anyone else) can run with as a community upliftment project.

This is how I envision the process going:

1. Get donor parts from Hubbers (parts list below)

2. Build Bike

3. Identify suitable candidate to receive bike via theHubSA nominations or other means

4. Donate bike to suitable candidate / charity

5. Encourage bicycle commuting in SA by submitting a press release to all major media on the story....

WIN WIN WIN situation.

I am looking for parts donations for the following:

Tyres & Tubes

Wheels

Brakes & Levers

Frame & forks (MTB for durability I think would be best for commuting, but road bikes are great for getting guys into racing)

Saddle

Handlebars

Grips

Cables

Cassette

Chains

Derailleurs

Shifters

Seatpost and clamp

Stem

Bicycle lock

Lights and reflectors for commuting

Any other parts that might work....

As parts come in I'll update this list with specifics, sizes etc.

I am open to suggestions and comments. I'd like to kick this off as soon as possible. I am already working on a website concept.

Let's get the ball rolling! Let me know what unwanted old parts you have lying around!

Edited by divernick

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start:

1x 26" front wheel with hub and skewer.

What parts have you got lying around gathering dust? We all have something!

I have a saddle, stem and V brakes.

let me know - Im in Pta

Awesome Vinny!

Please PM me your address and phone number and I'll arrange collection.

Great initiative - well done.

How do we get stuff to you?

I don't mind collecting, or meeting you halfway. If you're not in Joburg / PTA you can post the stuff to me....any and all contributions are appreciated!

I am also building a bike for charity. Does anyone have a spare S-Works frame lying around ;)

Yeah Chris, my charity is looking for a size 58 Colnago M10...... anyone got one lying around? I will even pay for postage :thumbup: :lol:

Hypothetical question - what if we have something and are further off than Gauteng.... posting is going to cost a fortune and then it isn't a case of donating anymore but more along the lines of paying to get rid of spares we have lying around :unsure:

Yeah Chris, my charity is looking for a size 58 Colnago M10...... anyone got one lying around? I will even pay for postage :thumbup: :lol:

Hypothetical question - what if we have something and are further off than Gauteng.... posting is going to cost a fortune and then it isn't a case of donating anymore but more along the lines of paying to get rid of spares we have lying around :unsure:

That is of course up to you whether or not you want to send the parts up to Joburg or not......completely voluntary.....

Edited by divernick

Then someone should donate courier fees!

I'll see if any courier wants to help out!

If anyone has any parts in Gauteng, feel free to drop them off at my office in Midrand.

+1

+ another one.

I've got a set of 8 speed shifters and an old Suntour 100mm fork that's sitting in my shed gathering d®ust, and some oldish tyres (IRC Mythos XC) but they still have good tread on them.

Also got a BRAND NEW BB that I bought for my project bike, only to find out that the cranks are mismatched. FAIL!

BB is a 68/121 English thread.