BSG Rules

Lenard

Being a newbie to the triathlon scene, I was wondering whether my clip-ons will get me disqualified.

.3. HANDLEBARS. Only traditional drop handlebars are permitted. Clip-ons will be permitted provided they do not extend more than 15cm beyond the front wheel axle, and are not longer than the brake levers' foremost line. Straight forward clip-ons must be bridged and must not carry forward-facing brake levers. No forward facing bar or gear shifters are allowed on the end of the clip-ons. All bar ends must be properly plugged.

Can the experts help?

post-20888-0-76054200-1314345301.jpg

Guest agteros

The clip ons in the picture will be illegal as they extend further forward than

1. The brake hoods on the handlebar

2. The front axle

Those are bridged though (tribars are connected)

They should not permit those bars but they might.

The standard rule is that the bars must not extend beyond the brake lever hoods.

Its a safety risk if you are too far forward because drafting is permitted.

If you are on your bars and something happens - it takes too long for you to grab the brakes putting everyone else at risk.

Hope that helps.

Yep and these people are full of **** when it comes to rules. Also make sure your handles have gotten those plastic clips on the end.

But to be honest...... BSG is sprint distance and draft legal. Do you really need the clip ons?

actually they might be ok... difficult to say, can you put a ruler next the bars...

they will not be legal for any draft legal race

Maybe not so much for the sprint distance, but otherwise I enjoy leaning on them when I ride. If they are not legal for the BSG series I dont think they will be legal in the Ironman events.

I'll rather change them and stay on the safe side.

lenard remember that there are two types of triathlons - draft legal and non draft legal so you need to find out before the time if areobars are allowed or not... trust me the last thing you want to do is show aup at a race only to find out you brought the wrong bike or have aerobars that are illegal

If they are not legal for the BSG series I dont think they will be legal in the Ironman events.

They will be illegal for any road bike race and BSG (draft legal), but legal for IM70.3 and IM (draft legal)

It seems it will be easier to just take them off. Thaks for all the input.

Just as a matter of interest, the normal handlebars usually fitted to the tri bikes, will they be allowed for all triathlon/duathlon races?

Guest agteros

It seems it will be easier to just take them off. Thaks for all the input.

Just as a matter of interest, the normal handlebars usually fitted to the tri bikes, will they be allowed for all triathlon/duathlon races?

No, they are not normal drop handles