Totem or Lyric for AM?

Pappa Bear

Hi,

I am looking for some advice in buying a new fork for my AM rig....

1) I currently have a Santa Cruz nomad, with a Fo36 Vanilla RC2 (2008 model)

2) I want to upgrade to a Lyric Coil DH 170mm

3) or a Totem Coil

4) I weigh 100kg

5) Use my bike for XC, AM, and occasional DH

6) Not to worried about the weight - as I can use the extra excersize :-)

Hy brain says Lyric but my heart Totem......

Anybody out there got any feedback on a totem or lyric? Any advice would be appreciated....

Pic just attached for refferance as I will most likely be getting the 2011 model

post-4575-0-11733900-1314350682.jpg

A buddy of mine has the 160mm Lyric (air) and he's extremely happy with it. Wonder of the Totem won't be a bit of a overkill? You are going into serious freeride territory with that thing.

After seeing that Fabien Barrel AM dvd, I think most of us are actually over building our AM rigs. That bugger does all those jumps and drops with a 150mm Fox 32 and XC Mavic rims. Ok, I do understand he only weighs like 70kg and has slightly better skills than most of us ( ;) ) but still.

aren't totems high maintenance? As in, they need even more love than a boxxer?!

Yes i think so, they have forever oil on the stanctions.... But they come with a speed lube point, can litteraly change the oil in 5mins.....

Go with the Lyrik DH. You might not be too concerned about the weight, but it does have a negative effect on the fork's performance. Also, adding that much extra weight to the very front of your bike has a massive impact on handling and balance. You'll get used to it, but just think that you'll have a fork that weigh as much as your whole frame!

The Lyrik is more than stiff enough and can run with the big boys without choking. I have ridden a Nomad with a Lyrik on (DHX shock) and it was well-balanced.

aren't totems high maintenance? As in, they need even more love than a boxxer?!

No. Probably other way around as the Totem was designed and build to be bomb proof with reliability taking preference over weight.. Boxxer is build with a fair amount of performance and weight in mind.

Totem coil will be very reliable. carefull of the solo-air two-step versions.

Cant go wrong with either of those forks, totem is a thing of beauty though!

yeah, so? :lol:

Er... good point...apologies, my statement was not well considered. I hope the AM gods will find it in their muddy hearts to forgive such stupidity...