Disturbing & Sad Graphic Image

Tankman

No I am not talking about the kind you see on the web. Somehow seeing them live has my stomach turning in a different direction.

Driving down Andries Pretorius street behind Checkers here in Somerset, I notice police lights and proceed with caution. The right hand lane is blocked by a cop car and tow truck. In the middle of the pedestrian crossing lies the body of a young male, twenties I guess, facing oncoming traffic. Don't think I am going to describe in much further detail, it was bloody, let's leave it at that!

What pisses me off! The cops are standing around, chatting, walking around casually ... all that was missing was a doughnut and a coffee in each of their paws! FFS, show some respect!!

If you don't value the life of the dude lying there, at least consider the public that is forced to drive past the site AND COVER HIM UP!!

Went past there a couple of minutes later and still all exposed!

RIP man, sad :(

Don't know what happened, couldn't see the other party involved, so it might have happened a while before I went past there. All I know, your going to k*k talking yourself out of killing a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing.

RIP man!

Ok rant over

It's really appalling that they couldn't even cover him up. That's disrespectful to both the deceased man and the passers-by.

Agreed, that it would be gruesome to see and possibly traumatic to most kind folk.

Lets be sure of who was on the scene and the capacity that is extended to them in such circumstances i.e. possible crime scene.

Stark reality is also sometimes serving of reflection and a lesson of caution.

The pigs are like that. I lay out a cross country course for a race, found a dude that hung himself. I phoned the cops etc. They left him there for quite some time, any one walking by could see. Also the kids were due to run not far from him so we had to change the whole route. They have no respect, or so it seems. Mabey they to used to seeing these kinds of things?

Edited by Pieter1

They were most definitely cops, in uniform.

Surely they can cover an exposed body, even though a case of homicide must still be investigated, its not like he's going anywhere soon.

Can one of those foil blankets really can disturb a scene that much?

Just got the feeling a happened a while before I went past there already. The other party was either removed from the scene already or it was a hit and run.

Yup, the cops must be used to it, doenst mean the rest of us want to be :thumbdown:

Stark reality is also sometimes serving of reflection and a lesson of caution.

Wise words, it certainly has me reflecting! Caution noted.

Not lekka to see on a Friday.

Not easy to be a cop, have a mate who is on traffic and his sister on homicide

Hard as nails on the outside, nothing phases them. I would not want to even get a glimpse of what they have had to see and endure. Years of mental torture numbs you i guess, and you loose contact with normality.

There are very good people who are cops and it's a hard, thankless job.

er...so why didnt you stop and cover him up or at least ask them to cover him????

Seems we've all become desensitized and like to complain. :(

In case you are wondering, I am involved in a rescue organisation and have had to deal with body recovery, but it would be nice if the public could show some sensitivity themselves. Some even stop to take photos.....how's that for sensitivity? :angry:

that is why so many police officers are killing themselves, they are totally detached and have no more emotions anymore. Guys like those are dead inside already.......zombies

R.I.P Pedestrian :-(

Edited by Soggy

er...so why didnt you stop and cover him up or at least ask them to cover him????

Because that would not have been the best decision on my part at that moment. I was not feeling my usual calm and collected self, trying to explain things like common sense and logic would have probably not helped the situation much, I felt.

Best I just kept going, stopping for any reason other than you are a doctor, just make you look like a nuskuurige aagie anyway.

In case you are wondering, I am involved in a rescue organisation and have had to deal with body recovery, but it would be nice if the public could show some sensitivity themselves. Some even stop to take photos.....how's that for sensitivity? :angry:

That is the police's job, that is why they were there, not for a civilian to tamper with the scene.

No I am not talking about the kind you see on the web. Somehow seeing them live has my stomach turning in a different direction.

Driving down Andries Pretorius street behind Checkers here in Somerset, I notice police lights and proceed with caution. The right hand lane is blocked by a cop car and tow truck. In the middle of the pedestrian crossing lies the body of a young male, twenties I guess, facing oncoming traffic. Don't think I am going to describe in much further detail, it was bloody, let's leave it at that!

What pisses me off! The cops are standing around, chatting, walking around casually ... all that was missing was a doughnut and a coffee in each of their paws! FFS, show some respect!!

If you don't value the life of the dude lying there, at least consider the public that is forced to drive past the site AND COVER HIM UP!!

Went past there a couple of minutes later and still all exposed!

RIP man, sad :(

Don't know what happened, couldn't see the other party involved, so it might have happened a while before I went past there. All I know, your going to k*k talking yourself out of killing a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing.

RIP man!

Ok rant over

Two comments:

- after having seen umpteen of these incidents, one becomes a little immune to it, so another

body on the side of the road ain't no issue (just paperwork and a long wait for the mortuary van);

- SAPS are woefully ill equipped and there is sweet **** all chance they had anything to cover the

body with. We used to see if we could find old newspapers or plastic lying around lying around, and

if not, tough luck.

Unfortunately I have seen worse and much more up close and personal than just a drive by, doesn't make me feel any better prepared for next time to be honest. Don't think its the gory stuff that bothers me that much, I felt angry, angry that others had to be exposed to that while a simple blanket or news paper could spare them from seeing that.

Suppose if you see it every day, you do become quite immune to the whole notion but these guys seem to think that joe public is also immune to it and sees it every day. :thumbdown:

Edited by Tankman

i was once one of those guys attending a scene with a dead body...

1) if it's a scene where a detective or forensics need to attend, then you're not really supposed to cover the body or intefere with the body at all until it's been photographed. defence lawyers will use absolutely anything to get their clients off.

2) logistic wise, most police vehicles don't carry anything to cover a body with. i used to buy space blankets and use that until one day I was crapped out by a detective in front of everybody, didn't do that again.

3) honestly you get so blase about the bodies that you don't really notice the fact that it's there. you wait patiently for detectives/photographer/mortuary vehicle, then write statements out, the body just sought of becomes part of the scenery.

sounds terrible now but if we heard over the police radio that there was a traffic collision with fatalities, we'd all of a sudden been far too busy to attend the scene, to the point of driving out of radio range. also used to flip our shoulder badge thingies over (epilettes?) over and pretend not too see; and if the call came out at shift end, you can bet anything you like the body stays out there a long time because no one wants to get stuck with a dead body for 2 hours into the new shift.