Dear Mr Dealer...

XXL

Why do dealers have a book to write your details down if they never phone back? I am bigger than the average person, at 1,9m tall. I went to 7 different dealers, looking cycling kit. Five of them wrote my details down....not one phoned me back. I eventually went to the Anatomic factory shop and bought my kit there. This proves that two phone calls could have made the sale...but they didnt bother. I understand that they keep the more popular sizes, but at least you could order bigger sizes if required.

One well know shop I went into, I scratched around for 15 minutes...no-one offered to help. I walked out. The other one, the owner, who is well known, lost interest once he realised he didnt have stock. He said he would try and source, then his mate walked in and they started chatting. I eventually walked out.

This shopping experience is not limited to clothing either...It seems like they are only interested if you are buying a big ticket item, like a bicycle.

I will vote with my feet. As Peter Cheales said..."I was your customer" :(

I think it goes across all spectrums, when we were looking at getting a new car a few months back we left our details with loads of garages, maybe 2 bothered to follow up, one got the sale!

Must be lekker in todays economy to have so much business you need not bother with the smaller clients...

Looks like you phone 7 wrong places. Competition is so tough and i can only imagine bussiness is not that great with economical climate, so i would think they would jump at the oppertunity for bussiness.

Talking about economical climate. Have you guys seen the price of meat lately? Jaysoes! I might go vegitarian or vegan shortly

Why do dealers have a book to write your details down if they never phone back? I am bigger than the average person, at 1,9m tall. I went to 7 different dealers, looking cycling kit. Five of them wrote my details down....not one phoned me back. I eventually went to the Anatomic factory shop and bought my kit there. This proves that two phone calls could have made the sale...but they didnt bother. I understand that they keep the more popular sizes, but at least you could order bigger sizes if required.

One well know shop I went into, I scratched around for 15 minutes...no-one offered to help. I walked out. The other one, the owner, who is well known, lost interest once he realised he didnt have stock. He said he would try and source, then his mate walked in and they started chatting. I eventually walked out.

This shopping experience is not limited to clothing either...It seems like they are only interested if you are buying a big ticket item, like a bicycle.

and this is the exact reason that places like CRC and CWC are doing so well, because i couldnt be bothered with the bike shops up here in PTA, have had good service on the odd occasion but have never had a phone call back to tell me that they are ordering or managed to source what i want etc. only place that has phoned me back is solomons and that is when i have had items replaced because they have broken and had come back through the admin people and they phone me back

I think it goes across all spectrums, when we were looking at getting a new car a few months back we left our details with loads of garages, maybe 2 bothered to follow up, one got the sale!

Must be lekker in todays economy to have so much business you need not bother with the smaller clients...

Strange you say that as I actually had the same experience. I am considering buying a Volkswagen Tiguan, I had a Pajero some time back but sold it, now I miss that extra space.

I went to a few dealers, most didn't have in stock but they dutifully took my name and said they will source one and call me back.

Of course, I never got a single call.

One dealer did have one though, I said I am interested but quote me on a fitted tow-bar and the VW fitted GPS / radio - said he would, that was three weeks ago, still no call.

I eventually found another one in Mossel bay, so we are flying down next week to look - so yeah, business must be great.

I know the feeling, I am in business for myself. I always make a point of finding out which customers want stuff ordered and give them feedback as needed. However majority of the places do not appreciate a possible new customer and I too find it pathetic that they dont have the common courtesy to call back. These are the guys that dont want your business, move on, that is what I do. There are plenty of places that stock the same goods.

and this is the exact reason that places like CRC and CWC are doing so well, because i couldnt be bothered with the bike shops up here in PTA, have had good service on the odd occasion but have never had a phone call back to tell me that they are ordering or managed to source what i want etc. only place that has phoned me back is solomons and that is when i have had items replaced because they have broken and had come back through the admin people and they phone me back

This has been said a million times but I've always had great service from epic cycles in doringkloof

Nothing says bad service to me more than being given the feeling that someone's doing you a favour by taking your business. Seems to be happening more and more for some reason as well?

Guest Frail4Life

I Thought You were looking for the Guy on the HUB/ aka The Dealer.

Sorry, no... not even a bicycle... I've had countless bad experiences of shopping for a bike with small frame - small, not extra small!! If it's not on the floor, you can't have it, the don't stock it and probably don't make it anymore... being a woman makes it worse. Talking gear ratios, sprockets and spokes helps a bit, but they still think you're so dumb you'll just try out the medium in bike X when you want Y. Easier to use sizing charts and buy blind from hubbers!! Cheaper too and I got basically a brand-new bike at 2nd hand price. Don't know how shops survive with that attitude.

I try to build a relationship with my bike shop. I in fact have a good relationship with more than one shop. I promise you that if I walk in, ask the owner to source me something and walk out, I'll get a phone call in a day or 2 with feedback.

Bike shops are probably more prone to spend time with their regular clients. These clients are his bread and butter. If you walk into a store for the first time, introduce yourself properly and chat to the owner or sales person for a minute or 2 before getting down to business. Try and remember their names, so when you enter the store again, you can greet them properly. Any bike shop owner worth his salt will remember your name after the second visit.

I am in no way condoning bad or "unpersonal" service. The really good shops will treat even a small request like to order cycling kit for a total random stranger like its just come from their best customer, but these are few and far inbetween.

I try to build a relationship with my bike shop. I in fact have a good relationship with more than one shop. I promise you that if I walk in, ask the owner to source me something and walk out, I'll get a phone call in a day or 2 with feedback.

Bike shops are probably more prone to spend time with their regular clients. These clients are his bread and butter. If you walk into a store for the first time, introduce yourself properly and chat to the owner or sales person for a minute or 2 before getting down to business. Try and remember their names, so when you enter the store again, you can greet them properly. Any bike shop owner worth his salt will remember your name after the second visit.

You make a good point, but being in sales myself, I believe that it is my job to introduce myself to a client. He is, after all, paying my salary ;)

I thought I had built a good relationship with my LBS, until they made a bugger-up on a wheel that I asked them to service. When I took the bike back, the mechanic swore blind that the shimano hubs don't come without the outer labyrinth seal ring, and even took me to the owner, who agreed with him, and even argued with me about it. I'll only buy from them now if any of the other Bike shops in EL don't have what I want. and if CWC doesn't have it. The bike shop I'm using now, couldn't be more friendly, helpful and keen if they tried. I just hope they stay that way. They've already taken a large share of the servicing work from the other shops.

Lazyness.

Why get off your arse and do something if you can just laze away the days in the sun, claiming unemployment grants and blaming the economy/recession/BEE whatever.

That is why shops only want to sell what is on the floor. If they have to order something, they have to get off their backsides. Then phone the wholesaler. Who has to get off his backside. Then the dealer has to wait for the wholesaler to phone him back. Maybe the wholesaler has to wait for stock as well. After that the dealer has to phone you again and ask you if the price is right. You say yes(or you will phone the dealer to tell him your decision.) Then the dealer phones the wholesaler. The wholesaler has to courier it. For that he has to get the man from the poskantoor off his backside.

As you see there are lots of places to slip up.

An all this for a mark up of R200. And then you have to pay vat on that as well.

We live in an era of lazyness. Nobody will walk 800m to the nearest SPAR. They will drive. Otherwise they will have to CARRY the 2 liters of milk, the newspaper and a bread. You can always blame crime for having to drive.

Everybody would like a quality job. No after hours. No manual labour. No sweat. Punching the keys of the computer.

That is why internet sales work so well. I look on CWC website and order my pedals. I can see for myself what is not in stock. I can see the price. Then I pay. They get the order (already paid for) and courier the parcel. I pick it up sommer by die werk.

The chain of people who has to get off their backsides is MUCH shorter. Therefore less expensive. So maybe I am also lazy. It is easier to punch a few buttons on the keybord and pick up my parcel at work.

Rant over.