Upgrading components from Shimano Sora

Soggy

After a second dismal attempt to sell my road bike (Merida Road 880), and after countless questions about the groupset, I decided to rather keep my bike for a second crack at next year's Argus and take the hint to upgrade the current groupset on the bike.

I have read up quite a extensive search on the net, I got the idea that Sora groupsets are sh*t and I should rather upgrade them to 105 or Ultegra parts. Will upgrading them make such a huge difference to my bike?

My current Sora set on the bike is rock solid and never gave me a problem, but is the Ultegra or 105 that much better? I agree going on a diet and knocking off 10kg of belly fat is much better than knocking off 500g off a bike, but is the enhancement in resistance level in the components or is it purely just less weight on the bike?

There is quite a noticeabe diffrence between Sora and Ultegra but if you think upgrading to Ultegra is going to double the value of your already 2nd hand bike, it won't. You will struggle to recover the costs of the upgrades.

Either ride the bike as is or buy a new bike with better equipment and wheels. Not worth spending 5-6K on groupset to upgrade the bike. Im sure you can get a second hand complete bike for around 8-10K on the sub thats probally 2KG's lighter than the Merida woth much better components. Or just gett rid of that extra 10kgs and that would also make a bigger difference.

Keep the bike as-is, lose the weight, train harder and beat guys on fancier and more expensive bikes. Trust me, it feels good!

Keep the bike as-is, lose the weight, train harder and beat guys on fancier and more expensive bikes. Trust me, it feels good!

That's my sentiments exactly. if it was only a weight issue then it wouldn't make sense to be to spend so much money for weight I can just lose by training off bodyweight (I have about 10kg healthy to lose). If the new components provided much less resistance and better power transfer to the wheels, then it would make sense in my eyes to do some of the upgrades.

Thanks for the replies!

If the new components provided much less resistance and better power transfer to the wheels, then it would make sense in my eyes to do some of the upgrades.

Thanks for the replies!

Your groupset will help you to stop and change gears but I can't see how it is going to deliver more power to your wheels? Maybe if the crank is stiffer, but the gains don't compare to losing even 1kg nevermind 10.

Your groupset will help you to stop and change gears but I can't see how it is going to deliver more power to your wheels? Maybe if the crank is stiffer, but the gains don't compare to losing even 1kg nevermind 10.

Kewl, then its just for me to hit the gym harder and road harder as well.

+1

thumbup1.gif

"It's not about the bike"

Sora = Not so good, 105 and up = Great, but I'm in agreement with the guys. Its the rider. Ive zoomed past many guys on great bikes with great kits on races that I trained well for.

Pffft, lets face it, tinkering with your bike is FUN! Upgrading is fun and a LOT easier than losing weight.

If you can afford it, do the upgrades (Sora is real entry level, and 105/Ultegra/Dura Ace make your experience better), change your eating habits (= weight loss) and train some.

Its all good.

Firstly, the older Merida 880s use Shimano 2200 parts mixed with Sora. That makes them a step below Sora.

Sora does everything it is supposed to, but Ultegra/105 does it so much better. Sora's shifting is harsh, slow and clunky; whereas the others are fast and silky smooth.

Sora also battles to change under load (when climbing or sprinting), the others change easily under these conditions. There really is a big difference.

Having said that, I would'nt upgrade the 880 frame. Rather ride it and be patient until a buyer comes along. Remember, your bike is considered entry level meaning nobody will buy it to upgrade. Almost all the hubbers already have entry level or better, so your market is limited here. Try and advertise on Gumtree or sell it outright to a second hand bike shop.