Tora 302 to soft, help anyone.

wayno

Good Morning Hubers

I have a Rock Shox TORA 302 (U-TURN) 85-130MM travel w/ adjustable preload and rebound.

Is there anyway i can make this shock a bit harder without having to have it almost locked out??

1 Change the spring to a stiffer rating.

2 Get an argyle damper - will give you more options in terms of floodgate and the valve is also more sensitive than the blue piece of ....... in there at the moment!

3 You will probably have to modify or upgrade the damper shaft because the piston and or plastic ring that holds the spring to close the piston tends to shift down on big hits which. You then have no rebound control.

4 buy another fork!

Hey Goosebay

What will options 1-3 cost more or less? cause option 4 seems the way to go. will have to sell this one and save for a while and buy a new fork.

Hi Goosebay

Would it be possible to add motion control to a Tora 302 to upgrade it?

Yes - you have two options

1 - get the Tora motion control damper (400 to 500 bucks for a piece of plastic that does not do too much), but at least you will have control over your compression setting. The problem now is that if you set your compression damping to high you will shift the damper piston down the damper shaft. (or the little plastic goodie that holds the spring). We have got around this buy cutting a very shallow groove around the shaft just above the port and placing a circlip that prevents the piston from pushing down.

2 - otherwise buy the argyle motion control damper (looks almost the same but you can set the floodgate) so in essence you have a very primitive LSC and HSC circuit if you set the compression to high and the floodgate to low, ie it opens earlier. Here you will have to upgrade the shaft as well (about 500 rands I think) but now you can click control on the rebound as well.

If your fork bottoms out once or twice on your ride that should be OK, but if it continually bottoms out you will need a stiffer spring (esp if you are more than 70kg). I am quite a bit heavier but find that we can get the fork to work with the motion control.

If you are happy to play around with the fork you can end up with a reasonably good budget suspension system.

Hi Goosebay

thanks for the help, will do some enquiring where i can get stuff from and see pricing.

Hi Geecee

its not so much bottoming out, its when i go over large bumps i nearly get high sided off the bike, because the shock bottoms out, i weigh about 87-90kg's.

yeah i guess the uprated coil is the way to go. are you sure your rebound is set right, even if you bottom it should feel like you're gonna get high sided, i wouldnt think

im around 82 without kit and camebak and come from a bmx dirtjump and motocross background, cant say i have experienced what you say. hahah but then again i dont think too much about the technicalities

Hi Goosebay

thanks for the help, will do some enquiring where i can get stuff from and see pricing.

Hi Geecee

its not so much bottoming out, its when i go over large bumps i nearly get high sided off the bike, because the shock bottoms out, i weigh about 87-90kg's.

MMM - seems like the problem might not be the fork (assuming here you are riding a hardtail)

Try dropping your saddle about 3 to 4 inches and shift your weight a little back over the rear end of the bike and try those bumps again.

What bike are you riding? It might be an aggressive xc bike where your weight bias is forward. A couple of setup changes might help then too.

So there are quite a few things you could try if you already haven't done these before you look at spending money on the fork.

The changes I have described in my previous posts are for drop offs of over a meter onto a flat landing, and for dirt jumps where my son prefers a stiffer fork. For downhill type stuff we ride a very soft fork and shock. (Sag set at about 25%)

If you are new to all terrain riding Brian Lopez's book is awesome, as well as Ryan Leech (?)(Norco sponsored) trials video, with all kinds of very useful tips.

Hope this all helps

Hey Thanks for all the help guys.

i have a mongoose amasa super it is a hard tail. i have found a soft tail frame i am going to buy. went for a ride on a friend of mines soft tail. this is more my kind of riding. not a hard tail fan. bought my nike 6months ago from obike. so hopefully there is nothing wrong with the fork. i came from a giant rincon, so i suppose i am also used to a hard front fork. maybe just need to settle in.

Sorry, but Rock Shock Tora 302 I own that is pneumatic and I adjust the pressure according to my weight. Is your's different?