Hairy

Your views  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which Frame

• Inbred
    • SUNN
    • Neither, see my post for my recommendation

Hi All

I am currently looking at the following two Hartail frames (Frames rated to take 120mm forks) for a SS and occasional geared bike.

Comments / Advice / Other options and suggestions welcome:

Option A:

On-One Inbred with swop out drop outs, steel frame

R2900.00 total cost and from a local representative

Option B

Sunn Seasons S1 frame with conventional drop outs (non-replaceable drop outs) , 7005 alu frame

R2100.00 total cost via CRC

Thanks

Hairy--

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”…Edmund Burke

post-5403-0-16348300-1314604556.jpg

post-5403-0-77418400-1314604559.jpg

Steel is real mate! Still wondering why you sold your Inbred and now you're walking down this road again?

For the same price I'd personally probably go for the Inbred 29 though your total build is going to end up costing you more.

Cotic mate - Cotic!!!!

Chec out thier bikes first.

Did a test ride once and was very impressed!!!!!!

Contact Matthew and ask "No Muppets" how his goes.

I think the Soul or Soda is what you are looking for.

http://cotic.co.za/

Edited by Vinnydabutcher

Go for the replaceable drop outs. Makes single speed a million times easier. And its steel so a much more forgiving ride plus will last you a lifetime. I have had the same single speed steel hard tail for 6 years and i thrash it every weekend. Never a single mechanical problem. It rules!

Steel is real mate! Still wondering why you sold your Inbred and now you're walking down this road again?

For the same price I'd personally probably go for the Inbred 29 though your total build is going to end up costing you more.

I sold the Inbred and regretted is since then. Should have kept the frame and gotten someone to weld on disc brake tabs and maybe a hanger should I want to go geared for a day or two.

You live and learn!

These SUNN boys though do have a decent gravity team and I am hoping that this will be translated into their hardtails too.

H

Anyone riding a On-One 456 with a 120mm travel fork at all, curious to know how it handles vs a longer travel 130-140mm fork?

I still have one of the older Inbred 29s ... I call it my retro ss trail am xc bike...that thing gets punished in all conditions and it just doesn't want to quit.

I would probably go for the 456 and put a Revelation on it if I bought another...nice versatile bike.

There are loads cheap in the UK...Try get one off ebay?

I must say that I have looked more in depth into the SUNN frame and the geometry is very close to the Shova .. this is a promising feature and the SUNN boys have confirmed that the rear dropouts are replaceable ... the frame is also cheaper again (Price dropped by another R300.00)

The Inbred is starting to look expensive in comparison!

• 2 weeks later...

Watch out for the SUNN frame on CRC ... see below a reply from SUNN following a series of queries I had posted to them!

Hi, i have a big problem with your last email : the frame you’are seeing on CRC isn’t the real Season Frame, it’s a copy !!!

We don’t put any warranty on this frame.

We don’t understand what’s happened and we are searching right now….

Sorry

BR

Maxime

Hairy, gotta agree with da butcher here mate... Cotic all the way if you want a 120mm hardtail (and 26" wheels of course!)

That said, the price range of the options you're considering is around half of the price of a Soul frame. But why don't you phone Matt from Cotic and see if he hasn't got a demo to sell you, or just grovel maybe he'll be nice. Well as nice as man who has a "windpomp" tattoo can be :lol: :P

I would think a 2nd-hand Cotic will better than both your options and the Soul can take anything from 100 to 140mm, so find an adjustable fork to suit and you're sorted.

You will not regret your purchase. Also search for my post on Cotic's service locally, really impressive stuff.

Hey No Muppet

I have previously spoken to Matt (Excellent sales service BTW) RE the brand, but this was outside of my budget.

I did the unthinkable though and have ended up with a Kona Kahuna 29'er frame and built her up to a SS ... first ride out this morning and she has decent manners, but this is still to be seen on a testing trail.

H