Tubeless - what tyres to buy?

Smolly

Hi,

Converting my Mavic 317 disks for tubeless, what tyres should I buy? I do plenty cross country and a fair amount of techinical.

Thanks,

It depends on what type of terrain and how fast you are going. I see you are at Sun City, dry and rocky then you will definitly want to look at Maxxis Monorail/Crossmark. I also used Contis but found for dry and rocky the Maxxis combo is tougher - I destroyed my Contis.

BTW Maxxis are K@K in the wet.

It depends on what type of terrain and how fast you are going. I see you are at Sun City, dry and rocky then you will definitly want to look at Maxxis Monorail/Crossmark. I also used Contis but found for dry and rocky the Maxxis combo is tougher - I destroyed my Contis.

BTW Maxxis are K@K in the wet.

Crossmarks are also useless in sand!Correct me if i am wrong but Crossmarks is a bulletproof tyre but grip wise it's not up there :thumbdown:

DO you use these? punctures etc.?

Yes i do. Never had a puncture. Run them at 1.8 back, 1.7 front.

Crossmarks are also useless in sand!Correct me if i am wrong but Crossmarks is a bulletproof tyre but grip wise it's not up there :thumbdown:

True, I think a Monorail gives slightly better grip than the Crossmark, thats why its used on the front. I am still trying to find a UST tyre that is as bulletproof as a Maxxis in the rocks but I would like better grip in sand and mud.

Edited by nickc

Was a concern of mine as I'd not used Crossmarks before, but I rear wheel braked all the way down (well nearly) Nicks Pass at Sani2C and was amazed at their grip (look, I wasn't expecting much and I'd only chucked it on the week before). I don't think that a RK would perform any better?

I've had sketchy times with MK on the front (roots and damp/wet are always involved) and I won't ride them again. I have tried them twice. Second time resulted in a broken collar bone and the memory of why I'd taken it off the first time.

Edited by davetapson

Tough one.

Tyre choice depends on a lot of things: Rider weight, rider style, rider ambitions (are you a racing snake) amount of rideing and are you a weight weenie.

When I started, my GT came out with non tubeles Kenda Karma. One month later I had 2 snikebites and went tubeless. Everyone told me the Maxxis Crossmark. My verdict on this tyre is not great on any one thing but good on almost everything.

Downside: Weight. Slippery when wet. Not awsome in the grip dept. Not lekker low rolling resistance.

Upside: Lekker thick sidewall. Durabillity. Good tyre life (mine lasted 2 years but if you hate them you are stuck with them)

I had the GEax Mezcal (front) and the Suguaro Rear). Mezcal is very prone to punctures (5 in six months) but it grips like baby poo on a wooly blanket! Awsome in the wet. Light. But the punctures cost me plenty so I have chucked it. The Suguaro I used as a rear tire. Awsome grip in wet and dry and mainly going around corners. Great durabillity. I had a sidewall puncture two weeks agowhich cost me in the race, but I will replace it and get a new one for the rear. (The Mezcal is 2.1 and the Suguaro is 2.0 running at 28psi)

I wife has Michelin Dry XC2 on her bike. No punctures. Rolls awsome. Grips great as long as it is dry. She has one 3 races on them so far this year. 1.9 front and rear at 27psi.

Hi,

Converting my Mavic 317 disks for tubeless, what tyres should I buy? I do plenty cross country and a fair amount of techinical.

Thanks,

smolster

every rider can write you a novel on this topic..

me and my best mate ended up with 23 tyres in our garage and I THINK we are happy now with choice of rubber

2.2 Mountain King Front, 2.2 Race King Back.. one of my favourite combos - it gave me a flat free Cape Epic this year

all the top brands’ top range tyres will give you good value, it then comes down to personal choice, riding style and personal experience

smolster

every rider can write you a novel on this topic..

me and my best mate ended up with 23 tyres in our garage and I THINK we are happy now with choice of rubber

2.2 Mountain King Front, 2.2 Race King Back.. one of my favourite combos - it gave me a flat free Cape Epic this year

all the top brands’ top range tyres will give you good value, it then comes down to personal choice, riding style and personal experience

Thnak you Peter,

I have my cowboy days when I hammer it, and then sometimes I enjoy to take in the scenary.

Are these also good in the wet, It rains at Sun icty sometimes too :)

Thnak you Peter,

I have my cowboy days when I hammer it, and then sometimes I enjoy to take in the scenary.

Are these also good in the wet, It rains at Sun icty sometimes too :)

The Race King tends to get slightly slippery in the wet (as all tyres do..obviously), but you can play with tyre pressure or as I had it on occasion, have an extra Mountain King for the rear when you know conditions are going to be wet. The Mountain Kings do not clog up easy with mud.

I am a bit short on the Conti-Knowledge at the moment but the Conti X-King might be an allrounder (all conditions, front/rear) to consider or at least to research..