Bike Hoist?

Chubba

Any one know where I can pick up something like this locally. (need 3) Don’t want to spend a fortune. Or does anyone have really simple instructions on how to make one of these. (I only own a drill and a couple tools.)

Bike Hoist

untitled.bmp

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much would you consider a fortune? Have no idea what it's going to cost but you can definately build this. Should be easy.

I'm going to builders this afternoon, will check prices etc and let you know what you need.

Dude - really really simple. All you need is 4 pullys (or blocks, in sailing terms. 1 of them with 2 runners, 2 with a single runner and one with a single runner and aother point to connect the rope) some rope, 2 eyelet screws and some hooks with an eye-loop in them to connect to the pullys.

Look at the pic and you'll see how it works. Won't cost more than R 80 for everything...

Any one know where I can pick up something like this locally. (need 3) Don’t want to spend a fortune. Or does anyone have really simple instructions on how to make one of these. (I only own a drill and a couple tools.)

Bike Hoist

untitled.bmp

You should be able to buy rope pulleys from your local DIY store as well as the rope. Secure them to your rafters in the garage with the same configuration as the picture and you are good to go. If you can build up a Shova (Nice job by the way :thumbup: ) this should be a doddle!!

Where do you want to fit it?

We live in a flat so don’t have too much space, but we have a tandem garage, so want to fit them on the garage ceiling.

You should be able to buy rope pulleys from your local DIY store as well as the rope. Secure them to your rafters in the garage with the same configuration as the picture and you are good to go. If you can build up a Shova (Nice job by the way :thumbup: ) this should be a doddle!!

Solid slab in the garage so would have to drill bolts.

We live in a flat so don’t have too much space, but we have a tandem garage, so want to fit them on the garage ceiling.

Ceiling boards or concrete? If it's ceiling boards just make sure you fit it through the ceiling and into the rafters, don't think the ceiling will support the weight.

Pulleys will look like this...

Single:

post-3056-0-18122200-1314607657.jpeg

Double

post-3056-0-22795800-1314607795.jpeg

Single with rope anchoring point

post-3056-0-59612500-1314607819.jpeg

Eyelet Anchor

post-3056-0-94281200-1314607838.jpeg

Or one of those brass eyelet anchors that look like a big key-hook.

EDIT - if you're drilling into solid slab, get two rawl bolts to secure the hoist. Far more secure.

Edited by cptmayhem

How much would you consider a fortune? Have no idea what it's going to cost but you can definately build this. Should be easy.

I'm going to builders this afternoon, will check prices etc and let you know what you need.

If I can build them for R100 each that would be cool. Don’t want to spend R500 a piece.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will pop past builders with the picture and ask them for the parts I need.

Shot Mayhem.

Edited by Chubba

Solid slab in the garage so would have to drill bolts.

Masonry bit and some Hilti screws would do the job. You could go for M6 sleeve anchors if you were worried but a bike won't weigh more that 20kg so the hilti screws should do the job.

You could use eye rawl bolts as well with shackles to attache the pulleys...

Masonry bit and some Hilti screws would do the job. You could go for M6 sleeve anchors if you were worried but a bike won't weigh more that 20kg so the hilti screws should do the job.

You could use eye rawl bolts as well with shackles to attache the pulleys...

I loke rawl bolts... :-)

Pulleys will look like this...

Single:

post-3056-0-18122200-1314607657.jpeg

Double

post-3056-0-22795800-1314607795.jpeg

Single with rope anchoring point

post-3056-0-59612500-1314607819.jpeg

Eyelet Anchor

post-3056-0-94281200-1314607838.jpeg

Or one of those brass eyelet anchors that look like a big key-hook.

EDIT - if you're drilling into solid slab, get two rawl bolts to secure the hoist. Far more secure.

Can you give me an idea of process?

1. Drill rawl bolts

2. Attach eyelet anchors, I assume to bolts?

3. Attach single pulley in the front, double at the back

4. Attach rope anchoring point on vertical wall?