Gravel travel - was it a RANt or a rave?

Cassie

to be fair the no camera rule is probably by request of the farmers who allow land access. and they don't want every

tom ******** and harry traipsing all over the property after replaying the routes.

I think that bit was bull, theres no way you find the route from the exerts of the footage i will take. besides i can tell about 20000 people where the routes are just by posting it on the hub. I record the races so i can listen to myself swear ;)

Race organization superb, like the chap said bannanas, chockkies enerjellies, hell i even bumed a smoke from the guy at the enerjelly bakkie.

Totally awesome race.

BTW who took the photies.

Fantastic route on the 70km (although I see about 130 riders did not finish ?) Maybe the 70 was a bit too hectic for them - and some technical bits too, will be back next year - great event !!

I assume the Sunday distances did some of the single track we did so they should have had fun too.

BUT

why did I get a medal with the Karate Kid on ?

post-1291-0-54242700-1314638637.jpg

Aren't you a Ninja ??? :lol:

I didn't appreciate them only telling me at the startline to take off my GoPro. This could have been communicated early on the website and theHub, but the rest was simply amazing.

I prefer well orginised events over Kerkbazaar rides, even if they cost a bit more. Lets hope that some of the money gets used for developing an already awesome trail.

Last weekend I just made it to cut-off on the PPA Koringberg ride. I felt like a back marker (even though half of the riders were out on the field). Saturday I felt like a champion, even though I came in more than 2 hours after the winners.

Hi !

One of the best organized races I have done in a long time.

Will certainly be back next year !!! As for the entry fee - It was fairly high, but it did not bother me because everything was running like a well oiled machine

Sorry you feel that way. The cameras is a UCI thing, did not know about it. The no board had a timing chip in and was R35. Goodie bags in general does not have the same content than 5 years ago. The Gravel Travel money we use to build singletrack at Welvanpas. We are building another 3km singletrack section at this moment. Glad you enjoy our trials. Go and check out our Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/BainsMTBtrails

Route = Rave

MTN = Rant. For a R235 entry fee, no goodie bag, no cameras allowed, closest I got to see a helicopter was when they carried the doors past me at the start.

I dont see myself doing an MTN series ride again. No value for money. Will go to Welvanpas any other day and pay me R30 day fee and spend another R30 in the shop.

No, its a UCI thing. We are constantly looking for photos our camera footage for our hub page under Routes & Trials and our Bainsmtbtrials Facebook page. The farmers just dont want any scramblers passing trough.

to be fair the no camera rule is probably by request of the farmers who allow land access. and they don't want every

tom ******** and harry traipsing all over the property after replaying the routes.

Thanks,we try to keep everybody happy. Not always possible but we try. Our main objective is the route/ singletrack.

first i thought that the entry was really expensive, but after the rase i thing rave all the way, the route was awesome, the medals look allot better then at some of the ppa events and its the worlds biggest mtn bike series, were as a pro you can earn uci points, why must we in the cape always complain about everything, watch the highlights on tv from the rest of the events and the thousands of entries they get and compare it to some of our ppa events like the only 60 entries for the long route at some events i have been...i rather pay more for a proffesional fee to it then drive 160km for only 60 - 150 people riding.........please mtn and nissan, bring more of these events to the western cape. Kevin evans himself said on his blog that this was one of the best tracks of the whole season

Brilliant, going to tell that to the owner of Diemersfontein.

Fantastic route on the 70km (although I see about 130 riders did not finish ?) Maybe the 70 was a bit too hectic for them - and some technical bits too, will be back next year - great event !!

I assume the Sunday distances did some of the single track we did so they should have had fun too.

BUT

why did I get a medal with the Karate Kid on ?

post-1291-0-54242700-1314638637.jpg

Go to our FB page for photos.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/BainsMTBtrails

I think that bit was bull, theres no way you find the route from the exerts of the footage i will take. besides i can tell about 20000 people where the routes are just by posting it on the hub. I record the races so i can listen to myself swear ;)

Race organization superb, like the chap said bannanas, chockkies enerjellies, hell i even bumed a smoke from the guy at the enerjelly bakkie.

Totally awesome race.

BTW who took the photies.

Edited by The Search

Brilliant, going to tell that to the owner of Diemersfontein.

What i can say about the cutt off is this, I have quite a few friends that are now entering the level of intermediate riders (subjective i know) but a lot of them did not make the cut off, and what irks them the most is that the cut off time on the gravel travel site still says TBA. To be quite honest, i would have said the cutt off time for a race with that distance and that amount of climbing should be around the 7/8 hour mark.

But once again I am going to commend the organizers on some wicked single track, which i could enjoy for once since i wasnt stuck behind anyone. good waterpoints, nice medal desgn. And all and all a well organized race.

Also in future it would be nice if race organizers confirmed who the photographers are and where pics will be available on the registration e-mail or even a note or a flyer on registration, it seems this is something all race organizers overlook.