Manitou Swinger VS Rock Shox Monarch

wesley_r

Hey guys

Recently discovered that while my Commencal Meta 5.5 should have a 200x50 rear shock in, previous owner (for whatever reason) put a 190x50 Monarch in instead.

I eventually want to replace it with a shock that's 200 long. I'm not very familiar with the Manitou range - so, those of you in the know, how does this shock compare to the Rock Shox Monarch (the basic Monarch, the one without the rebound / floodgate adjusters)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=59783

Any other shocks I should look at? Have zero budget for this so I need to scrape together whatever I can, whenever I can :thumbup:

DUDE, let me tell you about the Manitou!

Absolutely bomb proof. 5 years on the Reign and every flat landing you can imagine! Varying heights from Contermans to Paarl gap - flat landed in the road! to Tokai before the transitions were built. Then on the same bike, same pressure, rebound etc.. 60km Stellenbosch challenge, Boschendal, Lourensford.. etc. No dial to flip, no pressure change in the SPV.. XC today, DH tomorrow.

My RP23 Kashima has a dial, I don't flip it out of habit.

Bomb proof..

Saw one on the HUB for R600.. er, will look. here - not sold!

Edited by Pain or Shine

sry, missed that. Keep looking. CRC have specials now and then.. does not matter what year you get, as I said mine was only replaced a month ago on an 05 Reign.. in that time it had two seal services, not that air was leaking, but I thought it was a good idea.. eventually due to use the SPV developed stiction, but that was an average of 3 rides per week. An unsung hero.

Saw a VERY good review of the Monarch RT3 the other day... and that price on buycycle doesn't look too bad

O, Push Industries doesn't supply outside of US or Canada!

Saw a VERY good review of the Monarch RT3 the other day... and that price on buycycle doesn't look too bad

O, Push Industries doesn't supply outside of US or Canada!

Not sure of the model but there is a Monarch at Cyclelab Northgate.. was offered it for the reign so will be 200mm eye2eye (7.875x2)

Was in the region of 1k..

Not sure of the model but there is a Monarch at Cyclelab Northgate.. was offered it for the reign so will be 200mm eye2eye (7.875x2)

Was in the region of 1k..

Thanks for the head's up - I think I'll give them a call. Who did you speak to?

Speak to Mac.. he should be back from leave. If not go straight to the top, Steve Bowman.. you'll be glad you did, he is doing wonders with that branch! Going through a full transformation it is.. :thumbup:

i just got my monarch, not fitted yet but has excellent reviews.

2500ish from buycycle.good price!

Stroke is wrong, I need a 50 :blush:

Are you having any problems with your current shock?

ie when the at it's full travel does is hit anything and how much clearance is there?

If not I think you might be fine with that 200 x 63 (or whatever)

It's the maximum length and the final length that counts

ie

190mm - 50mm = 140mm

200mm - 63mm = 137mm

So that is a 3mm difference.

Are you having any problems with your current shock?

ie when the at it's full travel does is hit anything and how much clearance is there?

If not I think you might be fine with that 200 x 63 (or whatever)

It's the maximum length and the final length that counts

ie

190mm - 50mm = 140mm

200mm - 63mm = 137mm

So that is a 3mm difference.

If nothing else but a 200/50 will work, then you'd probably be hitting something at full squish

200mm - 50mm = 150mm

ie a 10mm difference between what you have on there now.