Deter Bike Theft & Reduce Trade of Stolen Bikes

Cycleline

Announcing the launch of www.cycleline.co.za - an online cycle registration service that uses Quick Response Code technology to identify bikes and their owners.

The initiative is proudly South African and borne out of the necessity to pro-actively deter bike theft and reduce trade in stolen bikes throughout SA.

Membership on www.cycleline.co.za includes full registration of owners and their bikes, including photographs, emergency contact and medical info. Each bike gets a unique tamper proof QR Identification tag which is placed prominently on the bike frame and a QR ID Card which details personal and medical identification.

The QR is a 2d barcode, which when scanned with any mobile phone that has internet access and a camera, links immediately to the registered owners information. In the event of an accident, paramedics attending at the scene, simply scan the QR to retrieve vital medical and contact information. Should the bike be stolen, the profile status is immediately changed to reflect this and anyone scanning the code thereafter, will immediately be alerted. Social media feeds spread the word to all to be on the lookout and when the stolen bike is recovered, QR identification ensure a quick return to the rightful owner.

It's effective and affordable so register on www.cycleline.co.za today. It could save your assets. It could save your life.

ok a tamper proof sticker @ R230 a year

i'll pass have an ICE ID :)

do not see how a tamper rpoof sticker will stop theft

The police are proactively using the service to help identify owners to return recovered bikes to their rightful owners.

How it is not live yet ?

Ok listen not to totally knock your idea - it is a good one however before splashing it on the hub I would have suggested atleast a working model - there are groups on the hub which i am sure would support your cause - why not link up with ICE id or similiar and create this amazing tag as a braclet or chain - carry a credit card size tag ? Not gonna happen so in an accident it counts zip....seperated from my bike the tag on the bike counts zip...

Ok one last comments:

Q. After purchasing my kit, how long will my bike remain on the database?

A. Your details will remain on our database for the duration of your membership subscription. We will notify you a month before it is due to be renewed to ensure you don't forget.

why on earth should I pay again - surely adding in the details is a once off ? and the sticker has no expiry date ?

Come on guys if you want to be taken seriously be serious!

ok a tamper proof sticker @ R230 a year

i'll pass have an ICE ID :)

do not see how a tamper rpoof sticker will stop theft

How it is not live yet ?

Ok listen not to totally knock your idea - it is a good one however before splashing it on the hub I would have suggested atleast a working model - there are groups on the hub which i am sure would support your cause - why not link up with ICE id or similiar and create this amazing tag as a braclet or chain - carry a credit card size tag ? Not gonna happen so in an accident it counts zip....seperated from my bike the tag on the bike counts zip...

Ok one last comments:

why on earth should I pay again - surely adding in the details is a once off ? and the sticker has no expiry date ?

Come on guys if you want to be taken seriously be serious!

Any initiative that may reduce theft can only be applauded.

However, how would it be policed? SAPs involvement is doubtful given the fact they cannot curb serious physical/sexual crime let alone theft.

Some second hand bike dealers have proven to be unscrupulous when it comes to bicycle theft, any plans to target such dealers?

What is the critical mass buy in needed to make this work?

Hi Doris, thanks for your comments. We appreciate the input. There are similar online bike registration services which work very effectively in a number of countries. We put in huge amounts of research before launching here and by the response we are already having, we know that this service is a good and much needed one.

We're not promising it's going to stop bike theft - but a tag (which is virtually impossible to remove)does act as a deterrent and does help to identify bikes and their owners.

We provide a national register for cycle owners and an effective and efficient service to help identify owners and their bikes in the event of an emergency. Sure we charge R230 for a years membership, but in that time, you are get the benefit of our services and not just a tamper proof tag and ID card.

We also considered the idea of using QR's on a bracelet or chain but as not everyone wants to wear them, a card easily carried in a cycling top makes more sense.

Thing is, it's time we took pro-active measures to deter bike theft and we are taking this very seriously.

Any initiative that may reduce theft can only be applauded.

However, how would it be policed? SAPs involvement is doubtful given the fact they cannot curb serious physical/sexual crime let alone theft.

Some second hand bike dealers have proven to be unscrupulous when it comes to bicycle theft, any plans to target such dealers?

What is the critical mass buy in needed to make this work?

Thanks for your great comments. Yup, you are right, getting SAP buy is a major factor and it's a huge part of our awareness campaign to ensure they do.

Our tags have a super bond adhesive that makes it virtually impossible to remove without leaving evidence that the bike was tagged. Anyone offered a bike that appears to have a tag removed should be alerted that it could be stolen and by simply checking online, the full description service will available, so self policing plays a vital role too.

And yes, critical mass will ensure the success of this initiative. We've priced it affordably and will continue to add benefits to the service as we go along so we're encouraging support.

I think it is a good idea......

This can grow..... get the insurance companies involved.......

Anything at this stage is better than nothing! :thumbup: :thumbup:

where will the tag go and will there be "sub tags" for expensive parts like fork, wheeld ect coz the bikes are taken apart and parts sold or swopped

ok...so my question....

You put the sticker on as follow as per your website:

"1. Position your Cycleline Tamper Proof stickers in a visible place on your bike frame. Secure it with the clear adhesive strip provided...."

I can guarentee you someone will be able to remove all that glue...and if not stick something over it....cause you won't know if there was one then

Also....you need to download the APP to scan it, what if you own a 3310? :thumbdown:

Good idea...rather design the system so you can type the serial number online or something....so they get notified immediately.

Also by getting insurance companies involved, being able to reduce the premium if using this service, you will get more clients....but then it must work.

Edited by MTB_Roadie

I would have to agree with the previous poster that a live working site is far better then a "test" site. You loose a lot of momentum and credibility.

Interesting concept, but would like to see how the sticker works. Any chance of a YouTube video?

snip snip...

Also by getting insurance companies involved, being able to reduce the premium if using this service, you will get more clients....but then it must work.

I'm all for this initiative (to put an end to trade in stolen bikes)! BUT, and this is a big BUT ;) You MUST get the insurance companies on board...I'll pay your subscription but would like a discount from my insurance or tax deduction or something along those lines...

Why do this if my bike is insured anyway?

Then the issue about the tamper proof tags...great, but what about expensive components? i.e wheelset; forks?

Then the issue of policing - do NOT expect Mr Policeman to stop and scan a couple of bikes whilst on duty? That would cost money - and that on his meagre salary??? forget it!!

Still think this is a positive move in the right direction!! But shucks, more bucks to fork out!! On top of CSA licence fees!!