Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Love my commute to work. Try to commute 4 times per week now. I just got out of my cycling hybernation so my legs are tacking a hammering at the moment. But that should be sorted in two weeks or so.

I have extra, shower and shaving goodies (and towel) at work. I have a pair of brown and black shoes and belts at work, so I don't carry that with me. I have an extra pair of underpants and socks if that blond moments strikes in the morning when packing. I only take along denim pants, shirts and underwear. So overall weight that I am carrying is not too bad.

One thing to add:

My opinion is rather stay behind a truck than being caught in front of it. I would rather motorpace behind it than being passed at high speed by them. I always keep an eye out for the bigger vehicles.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pack the night before 'cos I am guaranteed to get struck by laziness in the morning. NOTHING beats commuting to work. Sometimes I love it so much I let out a yelp (or two) from excitement! Morning and late afternoon/evening air - amazing. cool thread!

Totally!! If I don't prepare the night before it is a lot easier to get dressed for work than put my cycling kit on :)

oh ya some tosser in a Porsche thought he was funny on my trip home last night, hooting at me like mad while I was as far left as possible. he came past me way to close, side mirror almost brushing my elbow. He then turned into the Spar parking about 200m down the road. It took all my strength to not give the Porsche a fancy pinstripe with my house key!!

oh ya some tosser in a Porsche thought he was funny on my trip home last night, hooting at me like mad while I was as far left as possible. he came past me way to close, side mirror almost brushing my elbow. He then turned into the Spar parking about 200m down the road. It took all my strength to not give the Porsche a fancy pinstripe with my house key!!

Big Porshe, small ...... laugh.gif

I admire your will-power.

When cars que at a robot, there is always one arse that will stop so far left on the road that you cannot get past. Pedestrians will never move over for you on a cycle path and cars do not use indicators.

I've learnt that forgetting your work socks at home is a bigger oversight than forgetting your underpants. Going commando at work is no big deal but everyone look at you funny wearing a pair of cycling socks.

London 2007 - Finished my gym session one morning (close to work - very far away from home by train) tried to put my pants on then realized I was trying to put on my son's school pant blink.gif I was somewhat larger than my son at the time laugh.gif

Edited by Seeker911

Oh ja ... and there are some days (not too often though) that I really, really, really don't feel like it.

Double decker buses are painted RED so they can be seen easier. The RED however does not mean the driver can see you unsure.gif

pepper spray's also good for that

Oh...and that the quality of scenery on the Blouberg promenade is inversely proportional to the strength of the wind.

Would love to commute by bike, but have two issues:

- scared to death, therefore hesitant to start on my own : anyone commuting Edgemead to CBD (Cpt that is...)

- hygiene : do all of you have showers at work, how do you do it?

Thanks

When cars que at a robot, there is always one arse that will stop so far left on the road that you cannot get past. Pedestrians will never move over for you on a cycle path and cars do not use indicators.

that is my pet hate!! it sucks having to go around the car on the right into the oncoming traffic!!!