Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

On the topic of cold... I have also learned that a good pair of gloves is almost more important than a good jacket...

Made the biggest difference for me!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To do list

post-18711-0-16157800-1370848960_thumb.jpg

#9 Do it for your family.

My better half has often commented on how much friendlier and relaxed I am when commuting home. Not still in work/stress mode.

This morning on the mountain was beeeeeaaauutiful!!!

#9 Do it for your family.

My better half has often commented on how much friendlier and relaxed I am when commuting home. Not still in work/stress mode.

This morning on the mountain was beeeeeaaauutiful!!!

Ditto for this morning! Incredible!

Was a lekker ride i this morning, no wind and a nice sunrise.

I learned that I need to do something to keep my toes warmer, felt like they were gonna fall off!

My GPS said I had an average of 1degree C on my ride today.

Was a lekker ride i this morning, no wind and a nice sunrise.

I learned that I need to do something to keep my toes warmer, felt like they were gonna fall off!

My GPS said I had an average of 1degree C on my ride today.

old school tip , cut a plastic bag so it just fits over your toes till halfway up your foot . one pair of soxs the bag then another pair of soxs.

or you can buy those roadie toe cap warmers .

old school tip , cut a plastic bag so it just fits over your toes till halfway up your foot . one pair of soxs the bag then another pair of soxs.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely be trying that.

I got a pair of First Ascent shoe covers from Sportsmans Warehouse. I got them originally to keep my feet dry, but found they really help to keep the feet toasty on a cold morning. Can recommend them.

Speaking of warm stuff . i got me one of these at outdoor warehouse R 150 , seemless balacava super snug and super warm .

post-8504-0-62997400-1370937488_thumb.jpg

This morning was very very "fresh" on the bike ... time to whip out the thick gloves!

Thick gloves are a pain coming home when its warmer. I wear a pair of light polar fleece gloves over my cycling gloves and they work really well, with the added advantage they are easy to take off when it warms up.

Thick gloves are a pain coming home when its warmer. I wear a pair of light polar fleece gloves over my cycling gloves and they work really well, with the added advantage they are easy to take off when it warms up.

Great idea- I've been lugging two pairs of gloves around. What a pain. Same could be said of legwear: in the morning it's too cold for shorts, and in the afternoon it's too warm for longs...

I should have clarified / been more specific ... my thick gloves get pulled over my cycling gloves.

Speaking of warm stuff . i got me one of these at outdoor warehouse R 150 , seemless balacava super snug and super warm .

A word of warning, don't go near any cash vans or blue light convoys when wearing this, unless you like getting shot at. ;)

Plastic bag tip works perfectly. Toasty toes this morning.

Plastic bag tip works perfectly. Toasty toes this morning.

LOL ... we ended up doing that on a very cold and wet Transbaviaans before ..... it works

For fingers I've found a pair of thin gloves ("Thinsulate?") under the usual gloves (even short fingered ones) works quite well and they roll up very small. Cheap from S/warehouse too but easy to lose in the washing!