Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

As mentioned earlier I recently started commuting. Let me start of by saying that I'm seriously unfit at the moment.

I have two options when cycling to work, either the direct route (6km with 50m ascent) or the roundabout (20km with 450m ascent). The plan was to use the roundabout route but lately I've been working a bit late and I don't see that changing anytime soon. So I end up using the short route.

We also do about 40km over the weekend.

Fitness wise is it worth it or would it be better for me to drive to work and back and try to fit in an extra long ride during the week or does the back2back nature of the commute offer some extra value that a single long ride doesn't?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As mentioned earlier I recently started commuting. Let me start of by saying that I'm seriously unfit at the moment.

I have two options when cycling to work, either the direct route (6km with 50m ascent) or the roundabout (20km with 450m ascent). The plan was to use the roundabout route but lately I've been working a bit late and I don't see that changing anytime soon. So I end up using the short route.

We also do about 40km over the weekend.

Fitness wise is it worth it or would it be better for me to drive to work and back and try to fit in an extra long ride during the week or does the back2back nature of the commute offer some extra value that a single long ride doesn't?

Ride those 6k's hard and fast, any ride is better than no ride and speaking from experience, those few minutes on the bike will relieve the work stress from working late!

Ride those 6k's hard and fast, any ride is better than no ride and speaking from experience, those few minutes on the bike will relieve the work stress from working late!

It does do wonders for my emotional well-being, arrived at work refreshed this morning instead of the usual "wish-this-day-will-end-but-it's-only-8:00" :clap:

Had my first commuting lesson today: Always carry at least two spare tubes.

Left work a bit earlier today and did the long(er) route that goes over Klapperkop. Managed to find probably the only other tubed 26er in Gauteng next to the trail with a flat so gave him my spare tube.

Had to walk the last approx 3km home...

Zaskar, I normally do the longer commute in the morning to work and then do the short route back hom. Normally I end up putting about 35 - 40 km on the day like that.

Left work a bit earlier today and did the long(er) route that goes over Klapperkop. Managed to find probably the only other tubed 26er in Gauteng next to the trail with a flat so gave him my spare tube.

FYI: you can put basically any MTB tube in any MTB tyre to get home.

Just 1 glueless patch and 1 spare tube that's all. That way you can patch your 2nd puncture, or give your tube away without later getting stuck yourself. It takes no space and weighs nothing.

I run tubeless, and had had my first flat tyre on my commute this morning. I have no idea why it went flat. I pumped it up with my little hand pump (which I only bought last week *shew*) and it held all its air. I got to work 10 mins late.

Lesson.... Leave a little earlier, because anything can happen.

I've found that commuting just doesn't work for me. The thing is that I get to work before I have even managed to get both feet clipped in. (one of the very few problems of having my workshop in my garage at home)

Key thing for me is light on the lid rather than the bars.

Had it again this am where a `still asleep` driver came charging out a side street just before dawn and almost T-bone me. Luckily just by looking her way my light caught her eye and she stopped just it time.

If it was only on the bar I might have needed new tyres - and shorts!

Key thing for me is light on the lid rather than the bars.

Had it again this am where a `still asleep` driver came charging out a side street just before dawn and almost T-bone me. Luckily just by looking her way my light caught her eye and she stopped just it time.

If it was only on the bar I might have needed new tyres - and shorts!

And yet some of them still do not see you!

Don't know if this is the right forum to ask the question but I plan on commuting to work and I'd rather buy a second hand bike than mess up my MTB tyres..So should I buy a SS or Geared bike...I'ts about 10km to work..Riding from Soutpansberg to Faerie Glen..fair amount of hills..

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am surrounded by people that try to kill me everyday. They are not friendly. They dont look left or right. They are in a huge hurry to get to work at 6am. They dont stop at stop streets. They dont stop at robots. They dont stop at pedestrian crossings. They dont use their indicators. They cross solid white lines. They drive in the emergency lane and sometimes on the pavement as well. They talk on their cell phones whilst driving. They do their make up whilst driving. They read newspapers whilst driving. They pick their noses and have a quick swig from a half jack.

Woe is me on my 2 wheels as I make my way to and from work everyday.