Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

486b78baf95051b3ae97858b8b226f04.jpg

Met this lady on my commute this morning.

Rocking head phones and high heels, when I asked about the heels she just shrugged :) asked if she ever slips off the flats, apparently not. Impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common sighting here in Munich.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to start commuting form Parow to Durbanville. However we have no showers at work. Is Virgin Active my best option or does anyone know of somewhere cheaper and better? Also any route suggestions and tips for a newbie? 

As I said earlier.  I was also used to showering when getting to work but do not have that luxury now.  So using these Wetwipes, babywipe cloths works actually very well.

Want to start commuting form Parow to Durbanville. However we have no showers at work. Is Virgin Active my best option or does anyone know of somewhere cheaper and better? Also any route suggestions and tips for a newbie? 

As I said earlier.  I was also used to showering when getting to work but do not have that luxury now.  So using these Wetwipes, babywipe cloths works actually very well.

I put off cycling to work for a long time due to no shower facilities. The PPA arranged a bike to work day, and I decided to give it a go and see what it would be like. It was awesome and I have never stopped since. Have been commuting to work for five years. My commute is 24km one way.

I have found all you really need is a towel, a cloth and a basin. This could be a problem for someone who sweats profusely, however for most people I do not think this is such a big deal.

I put off cycling to work for a long time due to no shower facilities. The PPA arranged a bike to work day, and I decided to give it a go and see what it would be like. It was awesome and I have never stopped since. Have been commuting to work for five years. My commute is 24km one way.

I have found all you really need is a towel, a cloth and a basin. This could be a problem for someone who sweats profusely, however for most people I do not think this is such a big deal.

The problem I have is that the basin in the mens toilette is right in front of the door.  So should someone walk in while wiping off then you are exposed to the whole office.  I get dressed in the toilette cubicles.

The problem I have is that the basin in the mens toilette is right in front of the door.  So should someone walk in while wiping off then you are exposed to the whole office.  I get dressed in the toilette cubicles.

I do much the same. Just stick my head under water, rinse off my face, wet the cloth and then move into one of the cubicles.

.........I have found all you really need is a towel, a cloth and a basin. This could be a problem for someone who sweats profusely, however for most people I do not think this is such a big deal.

Same here. Doing the "bath in a basin" thing works perfectly. For me, the trick is to get to work, then have a cup of coffee and go through my work planning for the day. That takes 20 minutes or so. Only after that do I clean up and get dressed for work. That way you stop sweating before washing and you don't end up sweating in your work clothes. (Mundane gross stuff I know, sorry)

See if there is a disabled toilet / bathroom in your building. Most modern buildings have one.  It usually is a bit larger, separate, private and will have both a toilet and a basin. Worth a try.

486b78baf95051b3ae97858b8b226f04.jpg

Met this lady on my commute this morning.

Rocking head phones and high heels, when I asked about the heels she just shrugged :) asked if she ever slips off the flats, apparently not. Impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's not clever when riding in the traffic.

I sweat like someone awaiting a solid hour's worth of waterboarding... after a double portion of Durban curry

not sure this'll work for me.

I sweat like someone awaiting a solid hour's worth of waterboarding... after a double portion of Durban curry

not sure this'll work for me.

So do I. Believe me.  Morning temperatures here are only 4-6 degrees here and I am already sweating when I get to work.  I know what I sweat like when it is 35 degrees here.  If those cloths can wipe the crap of a baby, it can sure deal with a bit of salt on your body.

So do I. Believe me.  Morning temperatures here are only 4-6 degrees here and I am already sweating when I get to work.  I know what I sweat like when it is 35 degrees here.  If those cloths can wipe the crap of a baby, it can sure deal with a bit of salt on your body.

:D Perspective, that's what it's called :D

Thanks guys , yes in RSA there is no cycle option, wasn't aware that it was available in other countries . I was hoping I was missing something. I usually use Strava heat maps to see where there are popular routes when I go to a unknown area.

Try and use openrunner.com. You can plot awesome routes and share with your friends, and if people have made routes public you can see these too for new route ideas.

that's not clever when riding in the traffic.

What do you expect, it is a woman[emoji23]

BSG

I Thank you!

Is it cheating if I only rode one way today? I'll be getting a lift home due to an appointment with large amounts of beer.

It feels like cheating...

quick question: i rode yesterday and got drenched. what do you do with your wet kit?

Ride it home again or take spare kit?