Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

1000mg Vitamin C a day, has had my back all Winter 2015.

I'll be doing the same this year! 

I have tried all kinds of things but for the last month been doing exactly that, strong daily doses of vitamin c. Has already beaten two colds that tried to get started.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pics of the commute

So you swam home is what you are saying?

It looks both awesome and terrible at the same time.

So you swam home is what you are saying?

It looks both awesome and terrible at the same time.

so much fun riding through the water ... lot's of laughing all round .... scary not knowing what is lurking below the water, or where any holes/pavements are!

highly rate everyone rides through water like this at some stage in their life .... think this is flood no. 4 for me :)

I hope to commute to work soon. First need to get fit as I have to go over Tiekiedraai. Don't know if its a good idea to start commuting in Winter however?

I hope to commute to work soon. First need to get fit as I have to go over Tiekiedraai. Don't know if its a good idea to start commuting in Winter however?

I think start at least. You have a few more minutes daylight down there than what we have up here. Just remember your lights. At the start you'll probably not commute everyday, at least until you have a rhythm going.

The most important thing I've learned during my short time commuting is to get packed the night before and make sure that I know that all my kit is at hand. Make sure tyres are pumped and my steed is good to go. All I need to do is chug a a quick espresso and I'm off

Remove all obstacles, so that even when it's dark and cold and rainy and windy, there are fewer impediments to make me take the car/bus.

... if accuweather didn't think it was going to rain in Sandton, will I still get wet on my ride home?

Most likely :)

The most important thing I've learned during my short time commuting is to get packed the night before and make sure that I know that all my kit is at hand. Make sure tyres are pumped and my steed is good to go. All I need to do is chug a a quick espresso and I'm off

Remove all obstacles, so that even when it's dark and cold and rainy and windy, there are fewer impediments to make me take the car/bus.

I agree. I have put a list of all items I need for my commute on the cell phone. Even though by now I know the list off by heart, I still check it. It gives me peace of my mind, knowing that I am well prepared for the commute.

I hate that gnawing feeling in the back of your mind that you have forgotten something or to discover at the office I didn't pack in my shirt...

post-43-0-24021600-1461909173_thumb.jpgpost-43-0-50011500-1461909174_thumb.jpg

Not all traffic is stressful.

Held up by these guys on my 5km commute home last night.

No comparison in stress levels when compared to my previous commute from Sandton to Honeydew.

I have learnt that an X9 rear derailleur will snap your shifter cable with no warning whatsoever and one should always keep a spare to avoid having to ride all the way home in the hardest gear

Guys who crash their cars on the cycle route on payday weekend are never going to own up or clean up all their glass,carparts and beer bottles.

Be careful early in the morning over the weekend

Almost barrelled into an idiot that pulled off the road in front of me, then opened his door right as I was passing him.

And I forgot my undies.... And I only started feeling my feet again after the shower.

Still had fun though :thumbup: