Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

It has ruined us all. Some things you just can't un-see  :eek:

P.S post a pic of your commuter it looks interesting! 

post-61473-0-20339500-1463739892_thumb.jpg

Got it the other day. Not a good photo... Still a bit of work - it's very old (lekker retro), but the components are good. Mavic wheels, Hope Hub front, Deore/XT drive combo. Replaced the tyres. The flat bar with that long stem is killing my back, but I found a riser from a fellow hubber. Hopefully it'll be here by Saturday. The fork tube and handlebar are both 1", from there the trouble of replacing it. The flats'll probably stay. It has stickers all over, still thinking about removing them. Part of the bike's history?

Was looking for a light, bomb-proof bike.

Must say, getting back on my proper MTB feels like getting into a Rolls after tottering along in a Tata for a while :D

Edited by rickus_viljoen

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had another reminder today - DO NOT have chilli cheese chips from steers for lunch if you plan on commuting back home.

#majorafterburn

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

What do you guys recommend for gloves?

I currently use full finger summer gloves with cotton cloves over it, but my finger tips will freeze going into proper winter cold

Life can change very quickly. I had a rather unexpected fall on Wednesday and ended up in hospital.

I was traveling along Bosmansdam road towards Marine drive. I was going over the bridge crossing the N7 and where cars join Bosmansdam road from the N7. This was at 6:30 in the morning. I was traveling slightly faster than the cars around me. 50-100m Ahead of me was a bus in the left lane with a bus stop another 150m on. I decided to stay on the white line until I passed the bus after which I would pull over to the far left. Next thing I know three paramedics are placing me in the ambulance on the way to hospital.

Unbeknown to me the authorities had begun to resurface sections of the road. Where I was riding the road surface was removed left of the white line but no on the right. This was not clearly demarcated and I could not pick it up in the dark. I do have a decent light so visibility is usually not a problem for me. Anyway I figure the bike slid from right to left causing me to overbalance to the right and the bike shot out under me to the left. Thank God I didn't land in front of a car and that a paramedic was in a car a short distance behind to look after me and called the ambulance.

The result of the fall a broken right clavicle, a broke right rib and the pelvis cracked in two places on the right hand side. As a result I cannot put weight on the right leg and I can't use crutches with the broken right clavicle. I will be wheel chair bound for 4 weeks after which I can begin to hobble around with 1 crutch for another 4 weeks. I have to rearrange my life so that I can do some work at home for the next 8 weeks.

I was going to be discharged from hospital yesterday. We did a final x-Ray on my shoulder to check if my new parts (plate in shoulder) was fitting well. Only we discovered that my right long had collapsed. So I got a tube protruding out of my long to relieve pressure and I won another two days in hospital.

All I can say, be careful out there. Things can change quickly. God bless

Life can change very quickly. I had a rather unexpected fall on Wednesday and ended up in hospital.

I was traveling along Bosmansdam road towards Marine drive. I was going over the bridge crossing the N7 and where cars join Bosmansdam road from the N7. This was at 6:30 in the morning. I was traveling slightly faster than the cars around me. 50-100m Ahead of me was a bus in the left lane with a bus stop another 150m on. I decided to stay on the white line until I passed the bus after which I would pull over to the far left. Next thing I know three paramedics are placing me in the ambulance on the way to hospital.

Unbeknown to me the authorities had begun to resurface sections of the road. Where I was riding the road surface was removed left of the white line but no on the right. This was not clearly demarcated and I could not pick it up in the dark. I do have a decent light so visibility is usually not a problem for me. Anyway I figure the bike slid from right to left causing me to overbalance to the right and the bike shot out under me to the left. Thank God I didn't land in front of a car and that a paramedic was in a car a short distance behind to look after me and called the ambulance.

The result of the fall a broken right clavicle, a broke right rib and the pelvis cracked in two places on the right hand side. As a result I cannot put weight on the right leg and I can't use crutches with the broken right clavicle. I will be wheel chair bound for 4 weeks after which I can begin to hobble around with 1 crutch for another 4 weeks. I have to rearrange my life so that I can do some work at home for the next 8 weeks.

I was going to be discharged from hospital yesterday. We did a final x-Ray on my shoulder to check if my new parts (plate in shoulder) was fitting well. Only we discovered that my right long had collapsed. So I got a tube protruding out of my long to relieve pressure and I won another two days in hospital.

No man, sorry to hear, strongs on healing well and quickly.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about that, hope you heal up soon. Scary, just takes a moment for a situation like that. Make sure you get hold of the road accident fund, they can help pay for some of the bills.

Roadworks often seem to take place with no consideration for other road users, besides cars!

Can you claim from the road accident fund ?

Theoretically, yes. But they don't have much left to claim from...

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

So true.  Heal up soon and get back on the bike...

Nee man. Hectic... That is terrible. It is one of my biggest concerns - wiping out at speed due to road surface or pedestrians.

All the best with the recovery.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Jeepers-creepers, D-Mike. Get well soon, dude. 

And big ups to that paramedic. Actually, all paramedics. And firemen. And NSRI volunteers. And all those other girls and guys who keep the rest of us alive despite ourselves.

Get well soon D-Mike. Hope you won't give up on commuting when you recover. 

What I've learnt is that some cyclists on Marine Drive are not just too cool to use the cycle lane, they are also too cool to use the road and use the bus lane instead. What's up with that. It's not the Giro.