Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Were you awake when they inserted the chest drain? I punctured my right lung too. Inserting the chest drain while awake was the worst pain of my life.

I was, but I was fortunate that I had been on pain meds for a couple of days, therefore no real pain when they inserted it. I actually found the whole process quite amusing.

Hey guys

Just a general thank you for all the well-wishes.

I have now traded my two wheels for four wheels (two big and two small) and instead of being driven by two legs it is now driven by a left leg and a left arm.

I'll be in the wheelchair for another 3 weeks and after that on one crutch for another 4 weeks. Then I can start my recovery with some more intensity and rebuild my strength. Really looking forward to be walking and be upright again.

Eventually I'll get back on to the bike and I will look to commute to work again, however I will try to cut out Bosmansdam in the future. I am not sure what the best alternative route is, but will investigate some options.

Have an awesome day, and safe commuting. :thumbup:

Hey guys

I have now traded my two wheels for four wheels (two big and two small) and instead of being driven by two legs it is now driven by a left leg and a left arm.

I'll be in the wheelchair for another 3 weeks and after that on one crutch for another 4 weeks. Then I can start my recovery with some more intensity and rebuild my strength. Really looking forward to be walking and be upright again.

Eventually I'll get back on to the bike and I will look to commute to work again, however I will try to cut out Bosmansdam in the future. I am not sure what the best alternative route is, but will investigate some options.

Thanks for reporting and wishing you all the best with the recovery.  Keep that positive attitude going.  I will help you with the recovery.

Great news, Mike. Keep on trucking!

Me, I'm looking forward to being able to commute for about a week when my Mrs and lightie go up to Durban. 

Trying to figure how to get more commuting time in when they get back. Hmmmm... 

Anyone commuted in Petoors yesterday?

I went to work on my bike, but that was very early (before the rioters awoke). Then at work, everybody got these messages about CBD and Scummyside being in chaos. I have to go Fountains, then Nelson Mandela, which has CDB one side, and Scummyside the other.

I chickened out, and asked a colleague to drop me off...

This morning I took the car down my usual route, and everything seemed fine. Made me think (again) that the social reporting is a bit off the mark.

Hey guys

Hi Mike, good that you are on the mend to ride another day! 

I commuted from Edgemead to Town for years. I hated and still hate using Bosmansdam Road. The only other way I would cycling in is up Pattekloof Road to Table View and the use the bike lane into town. That however changes you route from a 15km to a 25km ride more or less. 

Good luck and get well  :thumbup:

Anyone commuted in Petoors yesterday?

I went to work on my bike, but that was very early (before the rioters awoke). Then at work, everybody got these messages about CBD and Scummyside being in chaos. I have to go Fountains, then Nelson Mandela, which has CDB one side, and Scummyside the other.

I chickened out, and asked a colleague to drop me off...

This morning I took the car down my usual route, and everything seemed fine. Made me think (again) that the social reporting is a bit off the mark.

Although this was different,  usually when there were strikes, these guys go home early.  So they would cause major problems during the day but by the time I went home the strikers would be home long time before me and already drinking their beers they looted for the day.  The only problems I tend to experienced is when they messed up the road (litter, etc) that you would stand a chance of puncturing or something.  But you normally see the problem before the time and just alternate your route.

I commuted from Edgemead to Town for years. I hated and still hate using Bosmansdam Road. The only other way I would cycling in is up Pattekloof Road to Table View and the use the bike lane into town. That however changes you route from a 15km to a 25km ride more or less.

Good luck and get well :thumbup:

The longer the better I say!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Good luck and get well  :thumbup:

Just make sure you take the long way, via Marine Drive. I did the cycle lane on Koeberg Road the other day, but taking that lane twice a day, five times a week would equal play Russian roulette. I didn't feel lekker there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot how heavy a laptop can be.  In SA used to always commute with my laptop in my backback.  Never needed to do it here but last night took it home with me and commuted with the laptop in this morning again.  If you are not used to the weight that thing can get heavy after more than an hour of cycling.

The good news though is I will crack the 300km commuting for the week this week.

Anyone know where i can get one of those waterproof\high visibility backpack covers? sportsworld use to sell them but not anymore.

I learned that strava is a great commuting tool .... 

once you complete a segment, look at other results for the day on a commuter specific section ... other commuters using strava will have their routes against their segment times ...

You can also use the strava "flyby", where if  fellow cyclists/runners using strava crossed your path, you can view on a virtual map, your ride vs theirs in an animated way ..

I learnt a lot of new routes on my commute using this technique ... routes i would not have considered ...

...and then there is of course the sprints in specific sections  :thumbup:  makes you look weird when you giving it gas on your commute with a backpack and then suddenly backoff after the segment completes  ...

I learned that strava is a great commuting tool .... 

once you complete a segment, look at other results for the day on a commuter specific section ... other commuters using strava will have their routes against their segment times ...

You can also use the strava "flyby", where if  fellow cyclists/runners using strava crossed your path, you can view on a virtual map, your ride vs theirs in an animated way ..

I learnt a lot of new routes on my commute using this technique ... routes i would not have considered ...

...and then there is of course the sprints in specific sections  :thumbup:  makes you look weird when you giving it gas on your commute with a backpack and then suddenly backoff after the segment completes  ...

Strava can be a great motivator for those days you don't feel like doing it, then you remember that segment you're trying to own and suddenly the motivation is strong again.

Anyone know where i can get one of those waterproof\high visibility backpack covers? sportsworld use to sell them but not anymore.

I bought one a few years ago at the 94.7 expo.  Have not seen them anywhere else yet.  I will soon be buying a dedicated cycling backpack here soon then that comes standard with it.