Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So did a commute with two others this morning.  Smashed 7 PR's this morning.

The remarkable thing of this is its a rout that you do daily.  To get a PR needs effort beyond your best.  Yet in a group you smash them.  I was considering our pace slow, until I checked Strava

Learnt once again that you cannot POSSIBLY predict what a pedestrian on his cellphone will do when he suddenly sees you, get a moerse fright and jump.......but today I had a first.......a polite APOLOGY! Well, I NEVER! Luckily nobody was hurt, but it was a close thing! Got home in one piece and peace! :)  

Learnt once again that you cannot POSSIBLY predict what a pedestrian on his cellphone will do when he suddenly sees you, get a moerse fright and jump.......but today I had a first.......a polite APOLOGY! Well, I NEVER! Luckily nobody was hurt, but it was a close thing! Got home in one piece and peace! :)  

Here it is open season when pedestrians are walking on cyclepaths, but you better behave when it is a pedestrian walkway.

I'm sure that anyone who has some Cape Town classic routes, or the Argus, knows the part between Clovelly and the Kalk Bay robots. It was there, where I this morning overtook a car on the left, on the 'invisible' cycle lane as I always like to think it. There was plenty of space. The guy that I overtake starts hooting at me, I turn around to ask what's up and he starts gesturing things. So I slow down, so we can chat, he pulls up and shakes his head. I always lose it in those instances, and I start showing a finger. I've had more bits of road rage on this part, and what I like about the route, is that I always catch up, because of the traffic being slow - or because of robots. 

He stops at Olympia, right behind the robots. He opens the window and tells me that I shouldn't get so aggressive, this and that, lalala, and tells me that he hooted because he wants to let me know that the was there and that it was narrow. I knew that, I was there too. I ask him where his left mirror is. Surely, he would be less surprised if he saw me coming. He said a cyclist rid it off. He draws the I'm-a-cyclist-as-well-card and goes on saying that it is illegal for me to overtake on my 'invisible' cycle lane. Is this true? 

Huh? Were you sharing the lane?

There isn't a cycle lane. It's just that meter of space that there is between the pavement and traffic. I just called it that way to give it a name. 

Which one of you mad bastards was riding along Otto Du Plessis at 0540 this morning?

In the traffic!

Very speedy I must say, but a few cars came a bit too close for comfort.

There isn't a cycle lane. It's just that meter of space that there is between the pavement and traffic. I just called it that way to give it a name. 

What is it to him? Where must you ride then?

He just got a fright because he was not paying attention.

Edited by Belgarath

I'm sure that anyone who has some Cape Town classic routes, or the Argus, knows the part between Clovelly and the Kalk Bay robots. It was there, where I this morning overtook a car on the left, on the 'invisible' cycle lane as I always like to think it. There was plenty of space. The guy that I overtake starts hooting at me, I turn around to ask what's up and he starts gesturing things. So I slow down, so we can chat, he pulls up and shakes his head. I always lose it in those instances, and I start showing a finger. I've had more bits of road rage on this part, and what I like about the route, is that I always catch up, because of the traffic being slow - or because of robots. 

He stops at Olympia, right behind the robots. He opens the window and tells me that I shouldn't get so aggressive, this and that, lalala, and tells me that he hooted because he wants to let me know that the was there and that it was narrow. I knew that, I was there too. I ask him where his left mirror is. Surely, he would be less surprised if he saw me coming. He said a cyclist rid it off. He draws the I'm-a-cyclist-as-well-card and goes on saying that it is illegal for me to overtake on my 'invisible' cycle lane. Is this true? 

It is illegal to pass on the left unless a vehicle is turning right and the lane is wide enough for you to pass safely on the left.

Talking about road rage... yesterday on my commute home a car overtook another car in opposite direction to me and was thus coming straight at me... so instead of hugging the pavement to the left I uncleated and stuck out my foot taking off the car's mirror... am I an asshole or is there a better way to handle this?!

Traffic was bad enough so he/she couldn't chase me down and potentially kill me...

In 2.5 years this is only the second mirror I took off - the first one was a car reversing the yellow lane (which I was cycling in) as traffic was bad and he wanted to reverse 1km back to the previous intersection against oncoming traffic...