Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

It is illegal to pass on the left unless a vehicle is turning right and the lane is wide enough for you to pass safely on the left.

eNatis' Rules of the Road 6.45

Passing on the left of such vehicle shall be permissible if the person driving the passing vehicle can do so with safety to himself or herself and other traffic, and—

".."

ii. the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles;

Surely there is no other place for cyclists if there are no cycle lane? If it gets narrow I hop onto the pavement, but otherwise I'm on the road.

Edited by Belgarath

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about road rage... yesterday on my commute home a car overtook another car in opposite direction to me and was thus coming straight at me... so instead of hugging the pavement to the left I uncleated and stuck out my foot taking off the car's mirror... am I an asshole or is there a better way to handle this?!

Traffic was bad enough so he/she couldn't chase me down and potentially kill me...

In 2.5 years this is only the second mirror I took off - the first one was a car reversing the yellow lane (which I was cycling in) as traffic was bad and he wanted to reverse 1km back to the previous intersection against oncoming traffic...

Many years ago in Phalaborwa a similar thing happened to me.  Was one of the back roads and about to take a sip of water from my bottle when one dwis decided to overtake another and the road was narrow.  I had not other option than going bundu bashing with the road bike but decided to put the waterbottle to good use.  Aimed for the windshield but hit the side mirror.  There was nothing left of that mirror, not even a big piece.

eNatis' Rules of the Road 6.45

Passing on the left of such vehicle shall be permissible if the person driving the passing vehicle can do so with safety to himself or herself and other traffic, and—

".."

ii. the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles;

Surely there is no other place for cyclists if there are no cycle lane? If it gets narrow I hop onto the pavement, but otherwise I'm on the road.

First paragraph is basically what I said.

Second paragraph ... hmmmm ... should we discuss the legality of cycling on the pavement / pedestrian walkway in SA?  Could be a nice Friday thread.

Not quite, should have put more in it. This is passing any vehicle travelling in the same direction as you, not just vehicles turning right.

6.45 OVERTAKING / PASSING

The driver/rider of a vehicle intending to pass any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction on a public road shall pass to the right thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive on the left side of the roadway until safely clear of the vehicle so passed.

Exceeding the speed limit when overtaking/passing is not permissible.

a. the vehicle being passed is turning to its right or the driver/rider thereof has signalled his or her intention of turning to his or her right;

b. such road is a public road in an urban area and—

i. is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction; and

c. such road is a public road in an urban area and the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles moving in each direction;

d. the roadway of such road is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction and is divided into traffic lanes by appropriate road traffic signs; or

e. he or she is driving in compliance with the directions of a traffic officer.

In this case it should be fine then right? It is safer for me and anyone else to overtake still standing traffic on the left than on the right. In The Netherlands, where I learned my bit of traffic regulations, this wouldn't happen any other way. Then again, the rules there are always in the rider's favour. 

..... He said a cyclist rid it off. ....

This motorist will forever dislike cyclists - because of that one incident ....

Sadly we DO share the roads with "angry motorists" .....

be safe out there guys and gals !!!

Second paragraph ... hmmmm ... should we discuss the legality of cycling on the pavement / pedestrian walkway in SA?  Could be a nice Friday thread.

Please don't, then I'm going to find myself getting into a lot of trouble. The pavement is where I like to stay alive.

Please don't, then I'm going to find myself getting into a lot of trouble. The pavement is where I like to stay alive.

pavements ... thats where pedestrians gets in the way of cyclists ??  :devil:   :devil:

On my commute I also have a stretch of pavement ...  :whistling:   :whistling:   I encounter about ONE pedestrian per week on this stretch.  And the road and traffic is just too dangerous in this area ..

pavements ... thats where pedestrians gets in the way of cyclists ??  :devil:   :devil:

On my commute I also have a stretch of pavement ...  :whistling:   :whistling:   I encounter about ONE pedestrian per week on this stretch.  And the road and traffic is just too dangerous in this area ..

I think I need a bell on my oldest bike.  V-brakes don't stop as fast as disc brakes.

My latest pet peeve - motorists approaching from a side street on the right, turning right in front of me. (Or as they will argue, parallel to me) 

I think they feel they are leaving me enough room to pass on the left, but it's rather unnerving as I have no indication that the motorist is indeed turning right. I can't see the indicators on the right of the car, and to me it appears like the car could be going straight. Which is why I get p!ssed off and wave my fist, while screeching to a halt.

Further evidence that motorists have little to no understanding of cyclists...

My latest pet peeve - motorists approaching from a side street on the right, turning right in front of me. (Or as they will argue, parallel to me) 

I think they feel they are leaving me enough room to pass on the left, but it's rather unnerving as I have no indication that the motorist is indeed turning right. I can't see the indicators on the right of the car, and to me it appears like the car could be going straight. Which is why I get p!ssed off and wave my fist, while screeching to a halt.

Further evidence that motorists have little to no understanding of cyclists...

Similar to the p03pols who think it is ok to pass another car while you are approaching from the front as the road is "wide enough" in there opinion.

I think I need a bell on my oldest bike.  V-brakes don't stop as fast as disc brakes.

I also need a bell urgently!

So yesterday morning on my commute I'm on the main Emmerentia bridge and see a guy with his dog coming towards me so I slow down... to my surprise this guy think it's a great idea to start his morning stretch exercises and throws his leg across the bridge... I had to take evasive action but sadly the bridge is very slippery with the morning due and my front wheel went, my handlebars got caught on the rails and my pedal slammed into my leg scraping it from top to bottom... I was in so much pain I couldn't even talk and just nodded to his apology... wheel slightly buckled and handlebars a bit skew so managed to limp to work,,,

I also need a bell urgently!

So yesterday morning on my commute I'm on the main Emmerentia bridge and see a guy with his dog coming towards me so I slow down... to my surprise this guy think it's a great idea to start his morning stretch exercises and throws his leg across the bridge... I had to take evasive action but sadly the bridge is very slippery with the morning due and my front wheel went, my handlebars got caught on the rails and my pedal slammed into my leg scraping it from top to bottom... I was in so much pain I couldn't even talk and just nodded to his apology... wheel slightly buckled and handlebars a bit skew so managed to limp to work,,,

shame man, that is a swak one, i also need a bell.

On another note, Cryotherapy sessions are like R500 per session, we get ours for free......i am still cold from this am cycle.

So, which Capies are hardcore enough to ride to work tomorrow? :ph34r:  :cursing:

Edit: The 100-year-storm is going to hit tonight. Western Cape education department closed all schools tomorrow, for the 1st time ever. 12 m swells predicted. 100% chance of rain. Up to 100 mm predicted within 24 hours. Winds of up to 100 km/h. Extreme likelyhood of flooding. Disaster management all on 24 hr standby. 

Edited by DJR

Seems like only the most hardcore capetonians are even going to work tomorrow let alone cycle.

Anyone else planning a trip to hoogekraal?

So, which Capies are hardcore enough to ride to work tomorrow? :ph34r: :cursing:

Edit: The 100-year-storm is going to hit tonight. Western Cape education department closed all schools tomorrow, for the 1st time ever. 12 m swells predicted. 100% chance of rain. Up to 100 mm predicted within 24 hours. Winds of up to 100 km/h. Extreme likelyhood of flooding. Disaster management all on 24 hr standby.