Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Do you commute in the rain? Its raining today (surprise) but it starst as a drizzle and the gets slighlty harder and then stops...and then drizzles lightly..then stops...you get the idea

Edited by AlanD

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you commute in the rain? Its raining today (surprise) but it starst as a drizzle and the gets slighlty harder and then stops...and then drizzles lightly..then stops...you get the idea

Rain or Shine ...... or light flooding!

post-5403-0-95849200-1504599701_thumb.jpg

Haha..light flooding.

Was chatting to wife again last night about commuting and the prosepect of getting another bike (although it will be as cheap but good as possible) but she sort of ignores me and says we should talk about it once i have signed the work contract, fair enough.

In the interim been browsing sone bikes amd leaning towards a hardtail MTB rather than a road or hybrid. Nice to have some front suspension and have hardly ever ridden a road bike. Was thinking if a single speed would be ideal to keep maintenance down to a minimum and its a short commute.

Thoughts on this?

I remember that day. It was blowing a storm and nearly hit a pole that I saw at the last second cause it was raining so hard! 

I love cycling in the rain. As long as my feet, hands and face are warm I'll cycle! 

Haha..light flooding.

Was chatting to wife again last night about commuting and the prosepect of getting another bike (although it will be as cheap but good as possible) but she sort of ignores me and says we should talk about it once i have signed the work contract, fair enough.

In the interim been browsing sone bikes amd leaning towards a hardtail MTB rather than a road or hybrid. Nice to have some front suspension and have hardly ever ridden a road bike. Was thinking if a single speed would be ideal to keep maintenance down to a minimum and its a short commute.

Thoughts on this?

commuted for some time on a SS MTB .. worked well enough...and at your projected mileage should serve you well.

it will also save your duallie if you have nice and muddy winters where you are staying.

Put on your work cloths and cycle at 15 km/h. No need to shower or change! 

Wear a base layer if you worried about sweating and remove it at work. 

On days that I commute with Nancy we get about 500m ascent - one-way - between Randburg and Sandton. On days that we do manage to get to 15km/h on this section I think my colleagues would prefer me to shower first.

Edited by cat-i

I wouldn't be able to let it go, I definitely have that switch in my head that says, "One person is a ride, two people is a race" :P

Got my Edge 820 the week before last.  Has this nasty feature of having a virtual training buddy.  Lets just say it is worse than chasing another cyclist.  :blush:

If it is raining in the morning I do not commute as I do not have an area at work to hang wet clothes.  But light rain is not a problem and if I expect any rain in the afternoon on my commute back then I just take the MTB instead of the road bike.  Getting soaked on my way back is not a problem.  However if warnings of heavy rain, flooding and / or lightning then I avoid commuting.

Got my Edge 820 the week before last.  Has this nasty feature of having a virtual training buddy.  Lets just say it is worse than chasing another cyclist.  :blush:

I disable that guy. Not quite sure who he is, and who got to choose him as my buddy, but I think he's just a show off!

Haha..light flooding.

Thoughts on this?

First: N+1 :thumbup:

Second: Absolutely depends on the route. If you stay in the city, only flat tarmac, I would go rigid mtb with road tyres. Lighter bike, but can take a bit of curb-hopping. If there are a few hills around, I'll go geared, but still rigid.

LEKKER om weer te commute  (NICE to be able commute again after last weeks rain)

Actually got out the saddle and kicked up Suikerbossie  :whistling:

cut 5 minutes of my time ... and had to take a basin-bath  :devil:

I am beginning to form a theory about the colours that motorists take note of, and the colours that they outright ignore.

(Don't judge my fashion sense)

Today (clear and sunny) - red bike, white shoes, black socks, red and black shorts, mostly black shirt, and white helmet. Completely invisible to motorists.

Putting aside the fashion cacophony, I thought I would have been quite visible with the contrast of red, white and black.

My research will continue tomorrow...

I am beginning to form a theory about the colours that motorists take note of, and the colours that they outright ignore.

(Don't judge my fashion sense)

Today (clear and sunny) - red bike, white shoes, black socks, red and black shorts, mostly black shirt, and white helmet. Completely invisible to motorists.

Putting aside the fashion cacophony, I thought I would have been quite visible with the contrast of red, white and black.

My research will continue tomorrow...

you don't think they were gunning for you because you were wearing white shoes?