zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somedays ones legs just go AWOL!

Had no energy yesterday.

At least have an excuse for taking the car today.

Have a meeting after work.

So there I was this morning cruising along in no rush in the cycle lane, thinking was it a good idea to cycle in! I suffer from asthma  and today my air passages and lungs are not so lekker. Anyway, i hear this vehicle coming at a speed, engine roaring and as I am about to pass a side road, this lady in her prado appears and keeps rolling completely igonoring the stop! As she is coming thru the stop, i shout very loudly HHHEEEYYYYYYY, she pulls anchors, her face is white from the skrik and my hey continues in one breath with are u F'in jus! Shew i think to my self and continue my cruise. A few hundred meters, i am dodging cars whi decided they can make 2 lanes on a single lane road my using the cycle lane. I connect someones mirror and I end up on the pavement. All is good, guy jumps out, i tune him u cant be driving in the cycle lane. He goes huh, and looks at lane, as if it is his first time he sees it. I take off. What a start to the day. 

So there I was this morning cruising along in no rush in the cycle lane,.....

And I thought commuting was supposed to be the more relaxing way to get to work... Hope the ride home is a bit better Ed.

All good thanks. Ja commuting is relaxing, but certain sections can be frustrating.

In the evenings its lower main road saltriver after the circle that is a problem again. Cycle lane there becomes non existant.

I live 12km's from work. I commute via bicycle, motorcycle, run and last but not least by car. My least favorite is by car because of traffic and this happens once a year when there's a tsunami tearing Joburg a 2nd one. My favorite is by motorcycle. I have been doing this for about 20 years so I get to see all the s#$t that goes down in traffic real close up like. In fact I have even considered creating a website dedicated to safe commuting by sharing my experience with interested newbies and not so newbies. Commuting by bicycle unfortunately is my least favorite commute mode as I find that I am more vulnerable and at risk as opposed to other means. Over the years I have noticed that motorists have become very uncaring, lawless and outright reckless. Not everyone is like this but enough to be very afraid and acutely aware that today may be my last. So take care folks.

So there I was this morning cruising along in no rush in the cycle lane, thinking was it a good idea to cycle in! I suffer from asthma  and today my air passages and lungs are not so lekker. Anyway, i hear this vehicle coming at a speed, engine roaring and as I am about to pass a side road, this lady in her prado appears and keeps rolling completely igonoring the stop! As she is coming thru the stop, i shout very loudly HHHEEEYYYYYYY, she pulls anchors, her face is white from the skrik and my hey continues in one breath with are u F'in jus! Shew i think to my self and continue my cruise. A few hundred meters, i am dodging cars whi decided they can make 2 lanes on a single lane road my using the cycle lane. I connect someones mirror and I end up on the pavement. All is good, guy jumps out, i tune him u cant be driving in the cycle lane. He goes huh, and looks at lane, as if it is his first time he sees it. I take off. What a start to the day. 

A while back I was on my MTB heading to work. I was using the grassy area next to the sidewalk which is well used by cyclists commuting and very safe. On this particular morning a taxi decided it was a good idea to use the grassy bit in an attempt to avoid the deadlocked traffic. The idiot ramped up over the sidewalk and on to the grassy area. The result was a collision between the 2 of us leaving me and my kit sprawled all over the show. all I got was a "eish so sorry it was an accident". Like hell was an accident I will not repeat my french lessons nor describe my attempt at not sparing his life. What i was amazed at was no one stopped to assist me in anyway or ask if I was injured ok or or ... and of course not a cop in sight.

So some guy in a car hoots at me because I'm in the right turning lane. I ask what's the problem, he's reply is I should learn the rules of the road.... Yet he comes into the turning right lane since he does not want to stay in the left/straight lane behind all the cars . Then proceeds to go straight from the right turn lane

Edited by Twaatie

So some guy in a car hoots at me because I'm in the right turning lane. I ask what's the problem, he's reply is I should learn the rules of the road.... Yet he comes into the turning right lane since he does not want to stay in the left/straight lane behind all the cars . Then proceeds to go straight from the right turn lane

This kind of sums it up :-) 

On Monday morning I was riding in the bike lane down Albert Road into the CBD when I came across a Uber Eats/MR Delivery/Order In guy casually cruising in the bike lane with his run down 125cc wearing flip flops and a helmet that didn't look very secure.

He was going at a much slower pace than the general traffic and I was able to catch up to him with ease.

I slowly approached him on his left side, and while he was looking to his right, I gave an extremely loud shout through his helmet.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  . The guy nearly pissed himself and almost lost control of his bike.

He then proceeded to get off from the bike lane and just gave me a look.

I did feel a tad bit bad afterwards.

On Monday morning I was riding in the bike lane down Albert Road into the CBD when I came across a Uber Eats/MR Delivery/Order In guy casually cruising in the bike lane with his run down 125cc wearing flip flops and a helmet that didn't look very secure.

He was going at a much slower pace than the general traffic and I was able to catch up to him with ease.

I slowly approached him on his left side, and while he was looking to his right, I gave an extremely loud shout through his helmet.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  . The guy nearly pissed himself and almost lost control of his bike.

He then proceeded to get off from the bike lane and just gave me a look.

I did feel a tad bit bad afterwards.

2 weeks ago two of them, one in the lane and the other sitting in traffic. The one in the lane had to slow down cause of a taxi and join the other in  the traffic. The other dude shook his had at the other guy and talked to him. I can only guess it was no riding the bicycle lane or something. 

I stopped at my LBS after work to buy more bright flashing lights. The way drivers have managed to overlook my 800 lumen flashing headlight and 2 red rear flashing ones, I think it's time to light up bright enough to call the aliens from a couple of galaxies away! The traffic is just totally bloody bonkers lately! I don't know what it is. It's like there is a virus affecting logic and driving skills, it is World War Z out there. :eek: