Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Okayyyyy .... new day, new lesson ....

Seems Cape Town has a new rookie weather forecaster .... or the same old nutter still cant get it right during the change of seasons .....

Monday - site inspections .... car

Tuesday - raining ...

Wednesday - more site inspections .... car

Thursday .. PERFECT weather, but more site inspections, so yet again in the car

FRIDAY ... at last, an office day, and two sites shows good weather .... VERY nice ride to work, and then just before I leave the office the rain starts .....  :whistling:

Still beats being in a car  :thumbup:   :clap:

So now the real question .... what rain kit do the hard core commuters use ?  And where do you buy this ?  :ph34r:

I bought a nice rain jacket soon after comming to Germany but found that it is a waiste of time.  I ended up sweating so much under it that I was soaked in anyway.  So use it more as a wind chill protector.  I ended up to only have a good cover for my packpack that everything in there stayed dry.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a nice rain jacket soon after comming to Germany but found that it is a waiste of time. I ended up sweating so much under it that I was soaked in anyway. So use it more as a wind chill protector. I ended up to only have a good cover for my packpack that everything in there stayed dry.

Makes sense, especially as I have a very short commute.

No need to ride in morning rain. And no worry if I get wet in the afternoon ... straight into a hot shower

Makes sense, especially as I have a very short commute.

No need to ride in morning rain. And no worry if I get wet in the afternoon ... straight into a hot shower

I was thinking the same thing, if its raining in the morning dont ride, keep a garbage bag in my backpack and if I get caught in the rain on the way home cover the backpack

I have a truly waterproof Vermarc jacket and it really keeps the rain out, it is even cut long at the back so it even keeps your bum dry..............but on anything other than the shortest and most leisurely rides it also becomes a sauna inside and you get soaked with sweat anyway..........breathability is a relative thing.

Edit: My other rain jacket is more of a water resistant Cape Storm thing. It works well for short rides but the rain comes through and you get soaked from the outside after a while.

If it rains properly, I always end up wet!

Edited by DJR

• 4 weeks later...

Lesson for the day ..... just because there are no "events" does not mean you cant pick a race during the morning commute !  :whistling:   :ph34r:

From my house my commute starts with a slight climb, then about 500m of level before a nice little climb over the N1.  So I start my commute nice and slow, and warm up properly before the climb.

Not this morning .....

200m from home I get to a T-junction.  Looking to the left I see a commuter approaching .... I take a second look and note:

- no frills commuter in his work clothes

- older x3 MTB

- V-brakes

- and he seems to idling along at a slow speed, maybe 15km/h

In fairness, I was also in my work clothes, not worth getting all dressed up for a 4,5km slow ride ...

No cars ...

So I cross and turn right, and cycle away in front of this commuter.  And so I ride along at 16km/h, just faster than this gent ..... 

Then I hear all kinds of rattling .... as I look over my shoulder I see this gent had declared this the final sprint of the Argus .... I drop a few gears, and pick up a bit of speed .... the rattling gets louder .... I drop another gear and while I am doing some 31km/h on a MTB in my work clothes this gent comes past me !!!  :eek:   :ph34r:

Once past me he sits up and has a good laugh.  :thumbup:

Respect, he did well.  

Then again ... thanks to the bloody sod I was sweating even before I got to the climb ... had to take a good basin bath at work ....  :whistling:

This weeks lesson

If you're washing your bibs in the shower in the evenings after your commute make sure you rinse the soap out properly. Tender areas dont like to be rubbed in sweat and soap.

I've had to take a few days off the bike as a result.

Lesson for the day ..... just because there are no "events" does not mean you cant pick a race during the morning commute !  :whistling:   :ph34r:

From my house my commute starts with a slight climb, then about 500m of level before a nice little climb over the N1.  So I start my commute nice and slow, and warm up properly before the climb.

Not this morning .....

200m from home I get to a T-junction.  Looking to the left I see a commuter approaching .... I take a second look and note:

- older x3 MTB

- V-brakes

In fairness, I was also in my work clothes, not worth getting all dressed up for a 4,5km slow ride ...

No cars ...

So I cross and turn right, and cycle away in front of this commuter.  And so I ride along at 16km/h, just faster than this gent ..... 

Then I hear all kinds of rattling .... as I look over my shoulder I see this gent had declared this the final sprint of the Argus .... I drop a few gears, and pick up a bit of speed .... the rattling gets louder .... I drop another gear and while I am doing some 31km/h on a MTB in my work clothes this gent comes past me !!!  :eek:   :ph34r:

Respect, he did well.  

Then again ... thanks to the bloody sod I was sweating even before I got to the climb ... had to take a good basin bath at work ....  :whistling:

I cant seem to have a slow ride to work, there is always a reason to drop the hammer.

Wasnt so bad in winter, but now in the hotter weather I'm going to have to start using the showers here.

I cant seem to have a slow ride to work, there is always a reason to drop the hammer.

Wasnt so bad in winter, but now in the hotter weather I'm going to have to start using the showers here.

Jip, season have turned .... going to have to take fresh clothes to the office, and a basin bath ....

Not this morning .....

- older x3 MTB

- V-brakes

No cars ...

Respect, he did well.  

You made my day with this story after sitting in a bakkie for 6 hours to go and deliver signage at a mine.

Thank you kind Sir lol

• 2 weeks later...

Stay alert, think ahead, always expect the motorised vehicle to do something stupid.

Heading along briskly at around 45-50km/h last night I'm approaching an intersection, light is green for me, the cars have just crossed over and there is a Hyundai H100 stopped, facing the opposite direct and indicating to turn across my path.

I'm 100-150m away from the intersection, I'm looking straight at him. Surely he sees me with 1000 lumens strobing away upfront.

My hands on the hoods, my fingers move over the brake levers, I'm still staring at him.

100m

80m

50m

Then he moves, at almost exactly the same time my fingers curl around the levers and start squeezing. I'm expecting him to wake up, see me and hesitate.

He doesnt.

I keep squeezing, shifting my weight back on the bike. The 28mm wide Pirelli's squirming for grip, not yet skidding, but any little ripple in the tar making them leave a small skid mark.

30m

20m

He is now broadside across my path.

He looks at me, hoots, waves his apologies and accelerates away.

My fingers release the levers, the right hand starts flipping the right lever to select and easier gear and I'm on my way again.

I live to ride another day.

It was Friday morning today, most drivers seems to forget how to drive then. Ad month end and it was even worse than normal.

Truck decided to park in the road.

Single lane, then In the oncoming lane another car tries to pass a car, how they both got through the gap I don't know.

As you said, we live another day!

Be glad you could commute ... lost a few opportunities this week due to rain, this morning I wake up to sunshine .... and had to go by car, due to a site visit ....

Be glad you could commute ... lost a few opportunities this week due to rain, this morning I wake up to sunshine .... and had to go by car, due to a site visit ....

were getting that rain from Sunday into next week.

Today was technically month end, we usually work late on month end, so came in by car today.

It was Friday morning today, most drivers seems to forget how to drive then. Ad month end and it was even worse than normal.

Truck decided to park in the road.

Single lane, then In the oncoming lane another car tries to pass a car, how they both got through the gap I don't know.

As you said, we live another day!

Crazy afternoon in Sandton as well ... was still recovering from the shock of the car squeezing past me on a single lane with oncoming traffic just before the pavement starts, when the big bakkie on the mentioned pavement started reversing seemingly totally unaware of anything else on the space he is aiming for... Glad to live another day!