My first commute!!

davetapson

Very proud of myself - done my first full commute - there and back!! And I survived!

What I found out:

1. I'm $%$#%$#@@# unfit

2. Just how fantastic it felt riding past Giloolies watching the motorist mash themselves together and not having to do that.

3. Some parts of Jhb are as shite (North Rand Road at Jet Park) as some parts are amazing(how much do these people earn to live in a place like Linksfield ridge!?)

4. That the distances one can cover on a bike are quite amazing. Ride to work!? What!? No boet, I need a car to do that! No, not really...

5. That other people also bike commute (hello dude in black and orange gear in Farrarmere)

6. That they say Howzit.

7. That riding past lines of crawling cars brings joy...

8. That I need to fine tune my route onto smaller roads - but this will happen with time.

9. That google maps can tell that a pedestrian gate in a wall is open thus providing a substantial short cut for walking directions over driving directions.

10. Something I had forgotten from my motor biking days in the UK - when you are travelling the same speed as the traffic, the traffic becomes like a river - and you can weave through the cars far more easily than you might imagine. One begins to see why the messengers behave the way they do.

11. That bike commuting turns something that is a chore into a lot of fun...

Endomondo says my there and back commute has burned 6 burgers. That can't be a bad thing!! (Although it doesn't say whether they are big mac's, spur burgers or what.)

post-1995-0-43971600-1314697644.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very proud of myself - done my first full commute - there and back!! And I survived!

What I found out:

1. I'm $%$#%$#@@# unfit

2. Just how fantastic it felt riding past Giloolies watching the motorist mash themselves together and not having to do that.

3. Some parts of Jhb are as shite (North Rand Road at Jet Park) as some parts are amazing(how much do these people earn to live in a place like Linksfield ridge!?)

4. That the distances one can cover on a bike are quite amazing. Ride to work!? What!? No boet, I need a car to do that! No, not really...

5. That other people also bike commute (hello dude in black and orange gear in Farrarmere)

6. That they say Howzit.

8. That I need to fine tune my route onto smaller roads - but this will happen with time.

9. That google maps can tell that a pedestrian gate in a wall is open thus providing a substantial short cut for walking directions over driving directions.

10. Something I had forgotten from my motor biking days in the UK - when you are travelling the same speed as the traffic, the traffic becomes like a river - and you can weave through the cars far more easily than you might imagine. One begins to see why the messengers behave the way they do.

Endomondo says my there and back commute has burned 6 burgers. That can't be a bad thing!! (Although it doesn't say whether they are big mac's, spur burgers or what.)

Awesome post!

Commuting rocks - saving petrol and sneaky training combined into one. Fantastic!

Rock on Dude , I love my Commute! it gets me ready for the day and destreses me at the end.

Rock on Dude , I love my Commute! it gets me ready for the day and destreses me at the end.

What is your technique.

Clothes wise, Spare set at work, or commute with work clothes.

I commuted for the first time on sunday as well.

unfortunately i cannot do it daily, as i see clients, and there is no shower facilities at work.

what i have learned - road riding is ****

cars are even more inconsiderate to bicycles than to motorcycles.

what is awesome: doing the same route in a car in peak hour traffic takes only 15 minutes less.

i would commute on my bicycle if i could so now if i have to go in over the weekend, i take the bicycle.

did i say road riding is ****?

Great post.

I live too close to work, so I sometimes take longer detours to get extra time & distance in.

What I found out:

1. I'm $%$#%$#@@# unfit

6. That they say Howzit.

Good man and welcome to the joys of commuting by bicycle and not sitting in traffic!

What bike did you use Dave?

Full sus mtb with knobblies!! Hey, if you need a Disco 3 to drive around Sandton, who am I to argue!!

Actually I can see the advantage of a road bike - I'm sure it would take some time off, but then again you can smash your mtb through / over all sorts of stuff you can't on a road bike.

Can't wait to get the fixie done and give it a go on that - maybe not the greatest in terms of common sense, but brutal in the cool stakes. Would have to get some new shades and a tattoo or two...

What is your technique.

We don't have showers at work, so had to join Virgin at Old Ed's. Drive to work Monday with whatever clothes are needed, drive to Old Eds, change, ride home, ride back, shower at Old Eds, drive to work. Repeat until Friday then drive home with car that smells like a laundry basket, but fitter and happier.

What is your technique.

I use to take clothes in on a monday by car for the week and bring them back on friday by car ( commute Tue,Wed,Thur )

But dont do that anymore , just ride with clothes for the day ( and laptop ) Its no problem.

I use to take clothes in on a monday by car for the week and bring them back on friday by car ( commute Tue,Wed,Thur )

But dont do that anymore , just ride with clothes for the day ( and laptop ) Its no problem.

MTB or Road, and how long does it take..

• 6 months later...

MTB or Road, and how long does it take..

Jozi commuters

I thinking of commuting, but will have to commute from Harties to Braamfontein. It's far yes.

Do you know of a place where one can leave the car that is possibly half way and cycle the rest.

Any ideas, suggestion would be great