Frame Crack, repair yes/no

rouxtjie

So I managed to crack my aluminium hardtail frame over the weekend at Van Gaalens(Daggapad - Oom Piet's to be specific) and although deep inside I know it's "moer toe" I am hoping someone here has successfully repaired something similiar, if yes by who?

Note the position of the crack will it be worth my while to try and repair or should I make bin it?

post-9825-0-67187200-1314699954.jpg

Well I have a CARBON road frame Felt, that was SNAPPED at the back on both sides of the chain stay and I have never had 1 single problem in two years :) So I'd say you could fix that and it would hold.

What a bloody pity, that bike gave you plenty joy, vat hom pa toe, hy sal hom vir jou sweis.

Out of curiousity, how far in is that seat post?

You could get it welding and the inside reamed the fit the seat post. Make sure you use a longer seat post, one that goes quite a bit past the toptube.

You could use it as an excuse to get a new frame and the set this up as a singlespeed :D

Get a longer seat post, if what my sister says is true, there is not much to protect.

Jou nar, sure you dont want my clownbike :P

What a bloody pity, that bike gave you plenty joy, vat hom pa toe, hy sal hom vir jou sweis.

ja, the "green machine" was a lekker bike, didn't think of that, do you think they will be able to weld ali, I dont care what it looks like, must just be safe and strong...it can look like a dog's breakfast if it will hold me.

Out of curiousity, how far in is that seat post?

You could get it welding and the inside reamed the fit the seat post. Make sure you use a longer seat post, one that goes quite a bit past the toptube.

You could use it as an excuse to get a new frame and the set this up as a singlespeed :D

about 3 cm below the crack, oh forgot to add, the seatpost is also bent "moer toe" after the incident, I think that was the issue here, not a weak frame.

So I managed to crack my aluminium hardtail frame over the weekend at Van Gaalens(Daggapad - Oom Piet's to be specific) and although deep inside I know it's "moer toe" I am hoping someone here has successfully repaired something similiar, if yes by who?

Note the position of the crack will it be worth my while to try and repair or should I make bin it?

If this is the green monster I think it is, it is a pity. It had a nice paintjob.

I'm afraid your bike is toast. Although you can weld aluminium, you can't heat treat it without some huge expense and a complete repaint. Even then, it is seldom successful.

As for someone's comparison between his carbon bike and your alu bike. Carbon can be repaired, alu not. Repairing a carbon bike is like repairing a K1 canoe after hitting a rock. A bit of smelly stuff, some matting and creative painting. It is a cold process and the outcome is predictable.

With alu, you have to weld at a zone where it has already been welded once before the welding again will change the crystalline structure of the alu and make it weaker.

Koebaai frame.

about 3 cm below the crack, oh forgot to add, the seatpost is also bent "moer toe" after the incident, I think that was the issue here, not a weak frame.

A seatpost must always go beyond the first weld. Could have been a warrantee claim but not if it is user's fault.

Out of more curiosity, what frame is it?

it was an old sb sierra frame that I used, I used this bike for training purposes at first but I became really fond of the "green machine". For the record, I dont blame the frame...any frame would have cracked under the stress of the seatpost that was bent like this, which happened somewhere during the ride.

thanks for all the replies thusfar guys, keep em coming

If this is the green monster I think it is, it is a pity. It had a nice paintjob.

I'm afraid your bike is toast. Although you can weld aluminium, you can't heat treat it without some huge expense and a complete repaint. Even then, it is seldom successful.

As for someone's comparison between his carbon bike and your alu bike. Carbon can be repaired, alu not. Repairing a carbon bike is like repairing a K1 canoe after hitting a rock. A bit of smelly stuff, some matting and creative painting. It is a cold process and the outcome is predictable.

With alu, you have to weld at a zone where it has already been welded once before the welding again will change the crystalline structure of the alu and make it weaker.

Koebaai frame.

It is indeed the green monster Mr Bornman

I thought that much....demmit, thanks anyway. Must go for a ride again soon

Yes. Castweld.

:thumbup: This is a Castweld repair! And that frame was thoroughly thrashed after it was repaired :D - still fine!

post-271-0-23970600-1314704244.jpg

Just a question. Is the diameter of the seat tube the same all they way in? Does the diameter increase slightly due to the tubes being butted. Why is shims only 100mm or shorter?

If this is the case a longer seat tube will only make the situation worse?

Just asking?