Indoor Training

DamMTBer

To all of those that train indoors.

What is better the indoor trainer or Spinning bike.

And how does the indorr trainer build up resistance?

It depends.

I think an IDT is better since it allows you to use exactly the same setup as you would on your normal bike (or even use your normal bike on it). It also takes up less space.

Indoor trainers do resistance in various ways. Some have a variable resistance that you can set. Others have fluid resistance that gets more the faster you ride. Some just have a massive flywheel and fan.

It depends.

I think an IDT is better since it allows you to use exactly the same setup as you would on your normal bike (or even use your normal bike on it). It also takes up less space.

Indoor trainers do resistance in various ways. Some have a variable resistance that you can set. Others have fluid resistance that gets more the faster you ride. Some just have a massive flywheel and fan.

So you cam mimick an uphill or a downhill.

So you cam mimick an uphill or a downhill.

Uphill yes, downhill not really.

All current trainers, aside from the Lemond Revolution, stop pretty quickly once you stop pedalling. They don't have a very high inertia so you don't freewheel much.

Hi.

I was spinning the whole winter and thought I was okay , got a rude awakening since I got back outdoors a few weekends ago , I gained 8kgs this winter , my diet didn't change only I stopped riding outside and did 3 spinning sessions a week, my fitness is down big time , since last week I stopped the spinning and set up my IDT again , my fitness is picking up and my weight is dropping , once again my diet didn't change at all only difference is instead of spinning at the gym I am sitting on the IDT , works for me way better as the setup of my IDT bike is the same as my racing bike thus the same muscles are working and my endurance and fitness is picking up again. This is what I found.

Hi.

I was spinning the whole winter and thought I was okay , got a rude awakening since I got back outdoors a few weekends ago , I gained 8kgs this winter , my diet didn't change only I stopped riding outside and did 3 spinning sessions a week, my fitness is down big time , since last week I stopped the spinning and set up my IDT again , my fitness is picking up and my weight is dropping , once again my diet didn't change at all only difference is instead of spinning at the gym I am sitting on the IDT , works for me way better as the setup of my IDT bike is the same as my racing bike thus the same muscles are working and my endurance and fitness is picking up again. This is what I found.

It does make sense. But is the effort the same as at the spinning, or maybe more?? I tell you why i'm asking. I've got 2 month old boy, and mommy wants to shed pounds gained by carrying my boy. So I offered during the week to stay and watch him. I've been spinning 3 times a week, lost a couple. But can cycle longer at home.

And does the IDT work for MTB's also?

Edited by DamMTBer

I think the "problem" with spinning is that it is completely unstructured so it's difficult to make gradual improvements. With an IDT you can follow your own prgram and it's much easier to measure your effort and so improve, especially if you have one with a power meter.

I think a lot of people avoid IDTs because they're boring but if you try one of the workout videos you can get for them it's actually not that bad. (or watch a film on your laptop or something.)

If you don't have an IDT then I would suggest going and riding a spinning bike at the gym when a spinning class is not happening and following your own program. - or go to a spinning class (so you've got birds to look at and music etc.) and just do your own ride.

@benadeja

I trained the whole winter on my IDT... obviously sticking to a training program and not just spinning... then I did 2 short rides of 20km then I did the Transbaviaans... I was never even tired...

What I like about the IDT is that you can Time Trial for 3 hours! -there is no route I know of where you can do that without rest...

but it is bloody boring... so I did the Tour De Porch... whilst the Tour de France was on I would Cycle watching the race...

now I only watch soccer whilst on the trainer...

music gets a bit lame eventually...

I am currently doing Tour de Porch again whilst the vuelta-a-espana is on TV... - today is gonna be a nice mountain top finish...clap.gifclap.gif

Bottom line: you have to enjoy it else you are wasting your time...

@benadeja

I trained the whole winter on my IDT... obviously sticking to a training program and not just spinning... then I did 2 short rides of 20km then I did the Transbaviaans... I was never even tired...

What I like about the IDT is that you can Time Trial for 3 hours! -there is no route I know of where you can do that without rest...

but it is bloody boring... so I did the Tour De Porch... whilst the Tour de France was on I would Cycle watching the race...

now I only watch soccer whilst on the trainer...

music gets a bit lame eventually...

I am currently doing Tour de Porch again whilst the vuelta-a-espana is on TV... - today is gonna be a nice mountain top finish...clap.gifclap.gif

Bottom line: you have to enjoy it else you are wasting your time...

That's the thing I do enjoy this indoor thing. Obviously not as much as the real mccoy.

Again an hour at the spinning class, I like the tour de porch---- Ms Schleck going through pirenees

And does the IDT work for MTB's also?

I use a MTB on my IDT... and it does not even have power settings... I use my gears to up the wattage.... it is more than sufficient for me... Most people only use it for high cadence training... I use it for High cadence over 100rpm as well as power... I guess when I get as strong as everyone else... I will need to get a ITD that can add WATTs eek.gif

I am with you in being able to stay home with the family whilst training...

I use a MTB on my IDT... and it does not even have power settings... I use my gears to up the wattage.... it is more than sufficient for me... Most people only use it for high cadence training... I use it for High cadence over 100rpm as well as power... I guess when I get as strong as everyone else... I will need to get a ITD that can add WATTs eek.gif

I am with you in being able to stay home with the family whilst training...

Thanks man.

It does help, so I assume that will not feel like I'm Granny Gear constantly

Thanks man.

It does help, so I assume that will not feel like I'm Granny Gear constantly

Well I train mostly on the 44 front and the 6, 7,8,9 at the back...

Works for me...

Well I train mostly on the 44 front and the 6, 7,8,9 at the back...

Works for me...

Ok, may ask what 44 means, and the rest of it. I assume it's gears?

Hi, I'm also a big IDT fan, 90% of my training is indoors!! What he means by 44 is its the big chainring in front, and then he switches between the gears at the back to compensate for the resistance he wants!! I have a Tacx Flow trainer with a powermeter and all that stuff and let me tell you, it was worth every single penny I spent, even being a 2nd year student with low budget!! So ja.. Try and stay focused on intervals or target specific training rather than just riding for 2hours, or put m movie on to play in the background!! Good luck.. And enjoy it

Ok, may ask what 44 means, and the rest of it. I assume it's gears?