GoPro's banned by UCI?

bradwentzel

Heard at the Eqstra this weekend that "All helmet/chest/bike mounted camera's will be removed because they are banned by the UCI..."

This true? You cannot ride with them at any event from now on?

I do understand the banning of iPods as they limit your ability to hear passers by, but a GoPro?

I've entered Cape Epic and Mankele have a few other stage races in mind and if you can't ride with these it will be diminsh my bragging rights post race.

Anyone know anything more?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not happy with that rule. Why we as mere fun riders should comply to that rule is beyond me.

I'm not happy with that rule. Why we as mere fun riders should comply to that rule is beyond me.

I forget the exact wording but the UCI rule is that "non essential" items are banned - ipods, cameras, little smurf keychains hanging from your bars etc. all fall into this category.

I'm guessing it's to stop some muppet trying to press play, pause or stop while on the fly crashing somebody/some bodies. Distraction is a killer!

Sadly it will result in the loss of some fun footage - most TV shows have some great on bike footage - but ultimately I agree with it...

Wow. I have opinions on everything today!

yea their thinking is that the riders will ride more flashy ( dangerously ) to get a better shot for the camera. I mean really! if you ride in a uci race that means that you can really ride good so you are already pushing the limit when riding.:blink::blink:

They just wana take away the fun

Edited by mad bout mtb

Might be an issue on the Epic as it falls into UCI territory... but then it could only be a pro class ban. You could check, email Epic and let us know.

Tanya could direct your query to the relevant person.. tanya at cape-epic dot com

All I could find on the interwebs http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI2/layout.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&LangId=1

UCI CYCLING REGULATIONS

Clothing and protective accessories

4.3.014 Helmet cameras are not permitted during qualifying rounds and finals. The riders are responsible for

securing the fixation of the helmet cameras in order to avoid any danger. The UCI can decide to

allow a helmet camera during finals but only for the usage of the TV production company. Metal/permanent

fixtures to attach the helmet cameras are not allowed, tape and velcro are allowed.

Not true at all. I have read the reply from UCI relating to a query from a local commisaire/event organiser and there is no official ruling, however it is not classified as essential equipment so organisers can decide to rule against the use of cameras in their events.

To illustrate; we, OMNICO, would not still be working with the ABSA Cape Epic to find more ways to use GoPro's in next years race if the UCI had banned their use.

Sadly it will result in the loss of some fun footage - most TV shows have some great on bike footage - but ultimately I agree with it...

Wow. I have opinions on everything today!

I have always agreed with your valuable opinions in the past, but now I'm not so sure anymore http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-1538.gif

All I could find on the interwebs http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI2/layout.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&LangId=1

UCI CYCLING REGULATIONS

Clothing and protective accessories

4.3.014 Helmet cameras are not permitted during qualifying rounds and finals. The riders are responsible for

securing the fixation of the helmet cameras in order to avoid any danger. The UCI can decide to

allow a helmet camera during finals but only for the usage of the TV production company. Metal/permanent

fixtures to attach the helmet cameras are not allowed, tape and velcro are allowed.

Just read this, we are using bike mounted cameras. You could get past this with a GoPro using either a Chesty or mounting the camera on stem/handlebar.

I have always agreed with your valuable opinions in the past, but now I'm not so sure anymore

Damnit. Street cred out window.

My bad.

Problem is I've seen enough muppets that can't control their bikes with two hands let alone one above their head trying to press "play".

Hell - at Eqstra I saw some nubbin in MTN kit try and pass a backmarker on some sketchy single track and ended up taking both of them out. People are crazy!

From what I understand is that this ruling was made only within the past week.

There are two very good reasons why I agree with the rule:

1. safety of the rider wearing the camera...fiddling with the record/stop button while riding could cause injury. ie losing concentration on path, crashing, etc. With chesty - you could land on the camera and injure yourself even more.

2. safty of the other riders around you. A very good example of this was from Amarider 100 miler this year. Guy has GoPro on handle bars, bounces off and he brakes to pick it up. He took down 7 people, one of which broke his arm and another has to pull out due to broken derailleur.

I own a GoPro, and love the footage, but wont race with it. Get all the footage I need from my training rides.

From what I understand is that this ruling was made only within the past week.

There are two very good reasons why I agree with the rule:

1. safety of the rider wearing the camera...fiddling with the record/stop button while riding could cause injury. ie losing concentration on path, crashing, etc. With chesty - you could land on the camera and injure yourself even more.

2. safty of the other riders around you. A very good example of this was from Amarider 100 miler this year. Guy has GoPro on handle bars, bounces off and he brakes to pick it up. He took down 7 people, one of which broke his arm and another has to pull out due to broken derailleur.

I own a GoPro, and love the footage, but wont race with it. Get all the footage I need from my training rides.

I've seen plenty riders veer all over the track from fiddling with cycle computers/hrm/gps/power meters and also had a couple stop suddenly from them flying off the handlebars, should we not petition the banning of these as well..... they are non essential after all.

I've seen plenty riders veer all over the track from fiddling with cycle computers/hrm/gps/power meters and also had a couple stop suddenly from them flying off the handlebars, should we not petition the banning of these as well..... they are non essential after all.

:clap: