Gazzetta reports Radioshack and Leopard/Trek merger

gadget

Super team, or replacements for the RS oldies (of which one won a BIG race this weekend!)My link

Edited by gadget

As though Leo - pard Trek wasn't an earful - now RadioShack-Nissan-Trek Professional Cycling Team

'Leopard announced on Monday that RadioShack and Nissan are joining the Leopard Trek WorldTour team as sponsors for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. Leopard will continue to hold its existing UCI WorldTour License and the team will be re-branded as RadioShack-Nissan-Trek Professional Cycling Team as of next year.

"As we stated in January, 2011 would be our apprentice-year," said Team Leopard owner Flavio Becca in a press release. "We intend to improve upon our results. In modern cycling you cannot move forward without strong sponsors.

"It is in this respect that today is a further milestone in the development of this exciting young project, which has gained the trust of two well-established players in the world of professional cycling. I continue to believe in the bright future of our athletes and have high expectations for the performance of this team. This is a major strategic move for all partners involved."

Time trial world champion Fabian Cancellara as well as Andy and Fränk Schleck will continue to lead the team in its plans for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. While the complete roster has not been announced, they will be joined by Amgen Tour of California champion Chris Horner, two-time Tour de France runner-up Andreas Klöden, and national champions Matthew Busche, Jani Brajkovic and Nelson Oliveira from RadioShack as well as Robert Wagner from Leopard Trek. The team will continue to be based in Luxembourg.'

Source: CyclingNews

Edited by kosmonooit

So, where's Levi going to go?

Yeah, I dont particularly like him however he had some good results this year, but mainly in the USA. The new team may have more European ambitions and his results there were not so good, but yeah, no mention of him.

I think there will be a lot of riders out of a job from these two teams, its unlikely they can accommodate all the riders from both teams in the new structure.

Yeah, I dont particularly like him however he had some good results this year, but mainly in the USA. The new team may have more European ambitions and his results there were not so good, but yeah, no mention of him.

I think there will be a lot of riders out of a job from these two teams, its unlikely they can accommodate all the riders from both teams in the new structure.

Yeah, in the wee hours I was reading Bonnie Ford's take on this. It seems that what is more telling is the names that have been left out, than those included in the official release. Voigt is missing too.

Apparently, there is another big announcement coming on the 15th.

Are "superteams" good or bad for the sport?

Yeah, in the wee hours I was reading Bonnie Ford's take on this. It seems that what is more telling is the names that have been left out, than those included in the official release. Voigt is missing too.

Apparently, there is another big announcement coming on the 15th.

Are "superteams" good or bad for the sport?

Yeah, dont know, but sometimes these "Super teams" actually fail to impress. Sky came into the sport with lots of money to throw around and hired the best, yet it took them about 12 months to get everything right and start winning. Of course now they are a team to be reckoned with but it could easily have gone differently.

I think Saxo and BMC will be the biggest loser's here as they are direct competition for the big tours with 'Berto and Evans. A super shack / leopard combination could put all hopes of them winning again out the window.