In-Complete cyclist service

some random VELO guy

IN-COMPLETE CYCLIST SERVICE: Took my MTB to a cycleshop in Peterplace 2 weeks before JHB Sprinclassic race. New chain, new cluster, new front chain rings new brake pads. Serious dissapointment to have to drop out of the Spring classic due to faulty new chain and unfastened brake calipers. Must be amateurs cos I could have done it better. Took it back again and in nearly 2 days they still couldnt get round to sorting it out. Took my bike straight to Cylcelab and Donovan kindly sorted it out while I waited .....no charge! brilliant. Now I'm complete.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No excuse for shoddy service, but word of advice...

CHECK you ride after being serviced!!!!!

Sometimes its hard to get the gears just right without actually riding, esp. duel sus.

Sometime they just forget to tighten everything up when they are done - get you hurt badly!!!!!!

Sometimes you will find someone else's wheels on your bike.

Bottom line, check your bike and test ride it before a race.

But again, no excuse for crappy work :-(

Edited by zaslinger

You're 100% correct. Learned a good lesson. I should have test ridden my bike. But in 20yrs of riding never had such a problem. Usually the mechanics ride the bike to test the gears before you take delivery. But I normally dont have to check if the chain has been joined properly, front de railer at wrong height or brake bolts left un-tightened etc etc.

I don't agree that you have to go over the bike to see that everything was done or tightened. That is what a job card is for. And if something is loose, it means the bike never left the shop for a test ride and that the shop supervisor should sign off on.

You're 100% correct. Learned a good lesson. I should have test ridden my bike. But in 20yrs of riding never had such a problem. Usually the mechanics ride the bike to test the gears before you take delivery. But I normally dont have to check if the chain has been joined properly, front de railer at wrong height or brake bolts left un-tightened etc etc.

One of the main problems is that the mechanics are not trained or properly qualified.

I don't believe plain inhouse training is sufficient.

Johan's courses are ok as a start but nowhere near enough.

The minimum should be a qualification like Cytec in Manchester.I am not aware of anyone providing that kind of course in SA

I don't agree that you have to go over the bike to see that everything was done or tightened. That is what a job card is for. And if something is loose, it means the bike never left the shop for a test ride and that the shop supervisor should sign off on.

+1 - why send the bike in for a service then? They are fully responsible for giving a bike back that’s working.

Edited by Chubba

100% correct.

Do a good test ride before a race, yes without a doubt.

Having to check that the mechanic tightened / adjusted things properly, absolutely unacceptable.

As for Cycle Lab fixing it after the problem, good for them. I have had the same experience in the past. CL may charge a bit more, but on my bike they have done a good job every time it has been in their shop (Centurion branch).

In principle you are 100% right, we shouldn't have to check - It should just be right, that's what you pay for.

But principle is of little solace when you are nursing a busted bike to the finish or worse, a busted body.

Support the guys that do a good job.

Flame the ones that get it wrong, so that others are saved the same shoddy service.

Thanks VeloGuy for the heads up on the In-Complete cyclist

Edited by zaslinger

Case closed....you pay for a service you want one. You cant take your car for a service then double checking if the motor is still tightened, wheels tightened, etc....it should be done and ready before collection.

Sorry to be the twat here, I really don't mean to be. I do agree that when you have received a bike from a service, everything should be 100%. But, your safety is your responsibility, not someone else's.

You should always check your bike over before going for a long or risky ride, like a DH.

i sent in 2 bicycles for a service just before argus this year.

i was told i needed a new BB, i told them not to bother, i checked it and it was fine.

what i was most shocked with tho, is i didnt get any report back as to the state of my spokes (it was a borrowed bike that hadnt been used in a while) all the spoke 'nuts' (no idea what to call them) had started cracking and coroding.

also on the other bike while i loaded it for transport i found lose spokes?, lose spokes of all things?!?

i wont go back to them again, i gave them another shot when i broke a spoke when coming off, i needed bladed spokes they said they had i took it in, they didnt contact me or anything i phoned and they said they dont have stock, so i told them id fetch the bike later. i got a call saying that they DID have the spoke.

i went to fetch the bike and noticed they went and put a standard spoke on :thumbdown:

anyway seems to be a lot of people like this. this was a well known shop that has been involved in the industry for a LONG time

If you pay for a service you should get just that. You take your car for a service, you shouldn't have to check that the mechanic tightened your wheels after he checked your brakes!!!!!

Same applies to your bike. If you just got it back from a service you shouldn't have to check it before you ride (Tyer pressures excluded). If you have ridden it a few times prior to a race on long training rides then, yes, safety is your responsibility. If not then the shop should get beat down with a public flaming.

Service delivery in this country sucks. The problem with the SA consumer is that we are too worried about offending people, causing a scene, etc and we just forget about it or fix it ourselves.

HTFU! If it isn't right, tell them so they can get it right and the next poor soull doesn't have to be subjected to their cr@p service. Don't worry about their feelings!! The next time you go back (If you are bra ve enough...) I guarantee extra special care will be given to your bike if you made enough noise!!! :thumbup:

If you pay for a service you should get just that. You take your car for a service, you shouldn't have to check that the mechanic tightened your wheels after he checked your brakes!!!!!

Same applies to your bike. If you just got it back from a service you shouldn't have to check it before you ride (Tyer pressures excluded). If you have ridden it a few times prior to a race on long training rides then, yes, safety is your responsibility. If not then the shop should get beat down with a public flaming.

Service delivery in this country sucks. The problem with the SA consumer is that we are too worried about offending people, causing a scene, etc and we just forget about it or fix it ourselves.

HTFU! If it isn't right, tell them so they can get it right and the next poor soull doesn't have to be subjected to their cr@p service. Don't worry about their feelings!! The next time you go back (If you are bra ve enough...) I guarantee extra special care will be given to your bike if you made enough noise!!! :thumbup:

Nope I wont be going back. Will stick with professionals at CL.

Nope I wont be going back. Will stick with professionals at CL.

Sorry mate that last part wasn't directed at you specifically. It was a generalisation. Good idea to stick to CL if they do the job right and you are happy with their service. :thumbup:

You should not have to but i always check. It takes less than 5 min to check basics such as shifting, steering and braking then if any issues it can be rectified, saving a return trip to the shop if found later.

Service yer own bike - fun and the work is guaranteed. Brake pads could not be easier. The only thing I outsource is shimano hub and fork and shock servicing and then you pick your mechanic. Still, for your own safety always check the basics especially if things like stems have had to be loosened eg for fork work. Have found a loose stem on two ocassions - that could be very dangerous...