New Zipp 303

Christie

Looks like they are launching a new 303 with firecrest rim shape. Also adding the option of black hubs & spokes. Claims 8% aerodynamic improvement over previous 303.

Imo a very very nice wheel set, if it keeps the durability of the current 303, which have been used to win several cobbled classics including Paris-Roubaix.

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/265254CD-552F-46D7-BF78-C4C59A2306995.jpg

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/9D244444-2695-4C8F-A545-4B4A5ECCA96D4.jpg

slightly off topic but am I correct in the fact that if you get carbon wheels like zipp or similar you need to have cardon break pads which would mean if you wanted to swap in between your carbon wheels and your regual (non carbon) training wheels you would also need to change the break pads each time?

slightly off topic but am I correct in the fact that if you get carbon wheels like zipp or similar you need to have cardon break pads which would mean if you wanted to swap in between your carbon wheels and your regual (non carbon) training wheels you would also need to change the break pads each time?

I use Swisstop yellow pads. No switching between my Zipp Carbon and Alu training wheels.

Pads will cost you R150-R200 at CRC....don't buy local...they charge up to R750!!! :blink:

Swapping pads doesn't take that long. It doesn't have to be a pain. It is an extra step, though.

There are pads you can use on both, but you have to keep the following in mind:

Brake performance is compromised. Pads and rims have an optimal temperature (bikes, cars, any friction-based braking) and the temperature on carbon and aluminium is a bit different. Water (rain) makes a difference too. There are pads that are excellent for carbon, and ok for aluminium, and vice versa, but not excellent for both. Never use alu-only pads on carbon: they melt, leaving a brown smear on the rim and you without brake pads.

Aluminium brake surfaces sometimes leave aluminium flakes in the brake pads. You can see these with your naked eye. When you switch from alu to carbon rims, you have to check your pads to remove the flakes. If you don't remove the flakes, you can scratch the carbon brake surface. The carbon rims will leave dust, but that's not dangerous to the alu rim.

I use Swisstop yellow pads. No switching between my Zipp Carbon and Alu training wheels.

Pads will cost you R150-R200 at CRC....don't buy local...they charge up to R750!!! :blink:

I also used Yellow Swiss Stop, but got the blueish one with new calipers, and they seem to be better. Also, those Yellow ones, on Alu in the wet = panic...

Your experience, Spidey?

Edited by Black&Blue

Isn't braking on a carbon surface a bit sketchier than an alu surface?

Gerraint Thomas (i think) at the tour, flying of the side of the mountain, nearly...

Zipp make a set of carbon/carbon brake pads that you can use on both alu wheels and Zipp carbon ones:

http://zipp.com/support/maintenance/brakepads.php

They may not necessarily work on other brands' wheels though.

I also used Yellow Swiss Stop, but got the blueish one with new calipers, and they seem to be better. Also, those Yellow ones, on Alu in the wet = panic...

Your experience, Spidey?

Sorry.....missed this one.

I have had no issues to date....then again I don't really ride in the rain on the alu rims...(That would constitute training while wet which is illegal in Pretoria :D )

Braking in the wet on the carbon surface....no issues whatsoever.....

Us mere mortals wont notice it.....going down an Alp might give you issues but not in SA. Not for me.

You can only fit the yellow ones on Campy. Blue wont fit....apparently... :unsure:

Zipp pads are made by coolstop. Good stuff, I use the too.

Yup....that it is.

Except for the new cork ones I think is Zipp's. But they leave marks and don't do well on the Alu.